Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea match thread.K/o 20.00 26/8/2013 SS1.

• 25-08-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

...............manchester_united_vs_chelsea_wallpaper_by_superfrankielampard-d6hg0ni.jpg..............

...................................article-2400777-1B6E94FF000005DC-546_634x330.jpg................................

Moyes vs Mourinho,the whole Rooney saga adds a bit to this clash also.I'm going for 2-1 to United.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone think Jones might play instead of Clev?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Love night time games at OT, cant wait for this one! Hopefully I continue to be a good luck charm when I go to see a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I hope we see Jones instead of Cleverly and Kagawa getting a start. Rather Rooney was off the bench.

I expect

DDG
    Jones
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Cleverley
    Carrick

Kagawa
    Valencia
    Welbeck
    RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Chelsea not really started this season yet so will be interesting to see if we start to fire tomorrow but at least two wins out of two is civilised.

Can see ManU being really fired for this has the makings of a classic (which possibly means a drab 0-0 draw) think TSHO will be happy enough with a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

With SAF gone I think Jones in the middle is less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Special One vs Chosen One #CantWait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mourinho wil show he's a good cut above Moyes but the scoreline wont reflect this, 1-0 to chelsea.

Don't think anyone needs to be shown who is a better manager out of those two in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea have looked at times incredible this season (1st half against Hull), ordinary (2nd half against Hull) and downright awful (periods of the game against Villa). This is all in the space of 2 games.

It depends on which Chelsea turn up tomorrow night as to how the result will go for them. United have been consistently good so far. Albeit that they haven't played anyone major yet (no offence intended to Wigan or Swansea; but if United hadn't won both of those games, it would have been a huge shock).

Both teams are very untested at this stage. Could be very interesting to see how it pans out.

I think that United have huge advantages in terms of their two good performances and the Old Trafford factor is huge.

Chelsea, however, have a mouth-watering display of attacking talent on display in Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, De Bruyne, et al., Mourinho's tactical nous could also possibly come into play. Add in that Chelsea have a good record in Old Trafford in the PL Era.

This is a game where anything is possible and is agonisingly close to call. It will not be scoreless, that is one thing I will say (but seeing as how my predictions I make on Boards usually go tits up...). Who wins it? That's for the football gods to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Although I think Chelsea will dominate most of the game and have a lot more possession, I think RVP will be on form and bail United out

2-1 or 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea to go behind to an early goal but come back to win 2-1. Rooney OG in the last second winning it. :pac:

Johner wrote: »
    Chelsea to go behind to an early goal but come back to win 2-1. Rooney OG in the last second winning it. :pac:

Don't have RVP in my fantasy team so would prefer it to be him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I honestly think it's the worst home debut possible for Moyes. Up against Mourinho, a veteran of some of the biggest games in European football and a man who knows how to play and win these big Premier League games. The only slight concern I would have is Cahill up against Van Persie, I think David Luiz is a big loss, but in midfield I think Chelsea have too much and I think the three behind the striker may end up being too difficult for Man Utd to handle.

Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

3-1 united, chelsea will score early doors imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

1-1 for me. A fairly cautious affair with not many chances for either side. I think both managers would be reasonably happy with a point from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

1-1 for me. A fairly cautious affair with not many chances for either side. I think both managers would be reasonably happy with a point from this.

especially with the result yesterday.

Also, someone commented above "it depends which Chelsea turn up". Well in that same post they described about three different Chelseas in each game they've played so far.

What actually needs to happen is for United to capitilise when "bad" Chelsea are in the house, and to contain when "good" Chelsea are there.

Rooney won't start - how can he be trusted? So Kagawa in behind RVP seems to be the best option available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lots of cynical Mourinho style fouling of our better players. I can see RVP getting injured tonight thus stopping him from helping United Chase Chelsea down in the league. Most likely a draw in the end with Chelsea more likely to snatch a winner.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

especially with the result yesterday.

Also, someone commented above "it depends which Chelsea turn up". Well in that same post they described about three different Chelseas in each game they've played so far.

What actually needs to happen is for United to capitilise when "bad" Chelsea are in the house, and to contain when "good" Chelsea are there.

Rooney won't start - how can he be trusted? So Kagawa in behind RVP seems to be the best option available.

Are you stating Rooney is a Chelsea Supporter or Should never play again for United due to not wanting to play for United?

• Advertisement

WIZE wrote: »
    Are you stating Rooney is a Chelsea Supporter or Should never play again for United due to not wanting to play for United?

I'm not saying either of those things, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd take a draw but this ealy in the season with 35 and 36 games left to play the result, other then bragging rights, is not all that important really.

If we can get a mix of the team that turned up for the 2nd half of the FA cup game and the league game at OT I'll be happy.

Hernandez has a fantastic record in these games and even more so at OT so if he pops up somewhere I'd expect him to score, I think Luiz is almost certainly out so with Cahill and JT at the back I'm not too confident at all that we'll keep a clean sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I'm not saying either of those things, no.

So whats the Trust issue with Rooney

Maybe because hes being publicly courted by Chelsea and Jose all summer and 2 bids have been dismissed by Utd.

Rooneys head might not be right for such a big, intense game and Moyes may just leave him out which would be a plus for Chelsea no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Mourinho is clearly a better manager than Moyes, so first off there is a big advantage right there. (proof wise, Moyes may well change this over the coming years)

Moyes is used to playing containment against the big teams (and mainly losing) while Mourinho is used to the pressure, 2-0

Moyes will set up not to lose, while since it is at OT Mourinho can 'afford' to lose so can be more cavalier.

Chelsea midfield is far superior to ManU, 3-0.

RvP is far superior to anything Chelsea have to offer. 3-1

Match at OT, 3-2

No idea why anybody thinks Manu will win this, a draw from each of the next three games will be more than enough for Moyes. You can't win the league tis early but he can certainly lose it all so I think that will be Moyes target. Get out of the first few weeks without much damage.

GavRedKing has pretty much summed it up. But I'm going to humour you, see where you are going with this one, as I'm sure you already know what the answer is, and you are being obtuse to some end. Should be fun.

Rooney wants to leave, Rooney wants to go to Chelsea, Rooney shouldn't play for United against Chelsea while the Transfer Window is still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Mourinho is clearly a better manager than Moyes, so first off there is a big advantage right there. (proof wise, Moyes may well change this over the coming years)

Moyes is used to playing containment against the big teams (and mainly losing) while Mourinho is used to the pressure, 2-0

Moyes will set up not to lose, while since it is at OT Mourinho can 'afford' to lose so can be more cavalier.

Match at OT, 3-2

No idea why anybody thinks Manu will win this
    , a draw from each of the next three games will be more than enough for Moyes. You can't win the league tis early but he can certainly lose it all so I think that will be Moyes target. Get out of the first few weeks without much damage.

Champions?

Jamc, champions last year.

Chelsea had a mess of management, open hostility from the fans last year. Chelsea will be much better this year. They have strenghted their squad, Manu haven't.

Manu have lost Fergie, Chelsea have gained Mourinho.

• Advertisement

Match at OT, 3-2

No idea why anybody thinks Manu will win this, a draw from each of the next three games will be more than enough for Moyes. You can't win the league tis early but he can certainly lose it all so I think that will be Moyes target. Get out of the first few weeks without much damage.

Its not as clear cut as that though or else we'd have seen City turnover Cardiff by 4 or 5 yeaterday, its just not as easy to define on paper as that.

Chelsea arent travelling to play a poor Hull team or the likes, we're going to OT, now we've the best record of any club agaisnt Utd through the years in the league but these are very marginal and very hard to call games and I'd expect the same tonight.

If it does end 3-2 can ya post up the lotto numebrs though afterwards? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Match at OT, 3-2

Chelsea's attacking midfielders are good but their center midfield is terrible. I also don't see Chelsea being much better this year.

I don't think the score will be 3-2, I was just using that as a points system (probably a bad choice).

Of course football is no straighforward, as Cardiff proved, but I don't see where the optimism of ManU is coming from.

I think many ManU supporters have to realign their objectives this year. This is a massive year of change in the club and to expect the team to just continue without a blip is not reasonable.

Hence why I think that Moyes would take three draws for the next few games if you offered it to him now.

Chelsea's attacking midfielders are good but their center midfield is terrible. I also don't see Chelsea being much better this year.

Carrick would walk into our team as we've no one to compare him to at the moment other then Van Ginkel and hes only 19.

On the other hand I reckon Ramires would walk into Utds team next to Carrick as Utd dont have that driving force from CM that Ando or Cleverly cant do, technically both are better passers but as box to box players neither can compare with Ramires, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

When you have Van Persie, anything is possible.

United to snatch this one after being dominated for a chunk of the game. Valencia to have a cracker before disappearing into the shadows for the rest of the season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

2-1 to Utd I reckon. It's obviously possible, but I don't see Chelsea winning this one. Chelsea may be better on paper perhaps, but as a team aren't close to utd's cohesiveness, and even a new manager won't change that this quickly (for either team).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

2 - 2. RVP to score , keep Rooney on the bench not worth the risk of having him play poorly or try to make a point in this this game. Kagawa to start , we need him to make play for us tonight.

Looking forward to the game , slightly nervous.

Let Mourinho talk all day long, nothing new from him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Chelsea line-up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would love Rooney to start. Let him go show Mourinho what he can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rooney to score the winner, it's written in the stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

2-1 to United, but Chelsea to score first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rooney to score the winner, it's written in the stars.

That would be an o-g then :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chelsea line-up ?

Impossible to guess at this stage.

The back 5 is pretty much set in stone though I reckon and the rest is guess work really.

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Jt Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata De Bruyne Hazard
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Gotta say I for one am happy fergie blanked Jose for united job I do not like his trolling before big games

I'm thinking 1-0 united or 1-1

Gotta say I for one am happy fergie blanked Jose for united job I do not like his trolling before big games

I'm thinking 1-0 united or 1-1

Yea Jose is quite unique when it comes to trolling before big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Match at OT, 3-2

The points system you've used is completely baffling.
    No idea why anybody thinks Manu will win this

Champions.
    you can't win the league tis early but he can certainly lose it all so I think that will be Moyes target.

The league is not going to won or lost in the second game of a thirty eight game season.

Really looking forward to this later.

I think the Mourinho factor will come up trumps here we shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Managed to wrangle time off to watch this tonight:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That would be an o-g then :)

.. And then unveil a tshirt proclaiming; "Once a blue, always a blue".

v3ttel wrote: »

The league is not going to won or lost in the second game of a thirty eight game season.

Thats the main point, a loss for either side doesnt real do anything damaging in the long term IMO.

Its our 3rd game and Utds 2nd, its not the end of the world if either team lose tonight although I'm sure a few people will enjoy the melt down in the Utd or Chelsea thread that would follow after a defeat for either.
    .. And then unveil a tshirt proclaiming; "Once a blue, always a blue".

That would be a WWE style heel turning of epicness. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement