Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea match thread.K/o 20.00 26/8/2013 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Typical negative Chelsea at OT.

United were just as negative in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

anyone else think Van Persie & Rooney have a rift
    Rooney wouldnt pass him the ball at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bad bad game, horrible stuff

For me, this was a penalty

j4y2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I almost always enjoy 'tactical' encounters that others call boring but that was absolute crap. Mourinho went in for the 0-0, Moyes simply did not want to lose. The end result was 1 team set up defensively and the other too afraid to throw caution to the wind despite being the home team. zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

not the best game but i'll take the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mourinho got what he came for, team was set-up not to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Good point but very negative from Chelsea. If we had scored a goal I really couldn't have seen them get one back, which is a shame we couldn't score. Great game from Rooney I thought, which was good to see.

All in all, not the best result, not the worst result. Especially for Moyes' second competitive game in charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Well, that was dreadful....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

On the plus side, we have nothing to fear from that Chelsea side and we're still a superior team. Rooney made a welcome return and Vidic was excellent. Mention for de gea, catching those shots like he did instead of parrying will save us vital points sometime in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thank God for fantasy football for games like this. 9 points from Brana and Hazard before bonuses.

Shocking football from both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would be some laugh if they give Rooney Man of the Match.
    They might do it just to get interviewing him.
    He was very poor though giving the ball away numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

A decent performance by Manutd and good point that i'm sure everyone would of taken before the game started. Great performance by Rooney tonight if a little rusty in parts but to be expected. MOTM Rooney IMO. I just wish he would come out and say something to clear all this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Also, Valencia was lucky not to see red, never mind a yellow. Joke decision to just award a free. He was in mid-air when he made contact with Ramires (I think it was).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Johner wrote: »
    Even though they have a fantastic record at Old Trafford?:rolleyes:

Where did I mention record?

MD1990 wrote: »

Didn't even think Van Persie was on the pitch to receive a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Chelsea got what they came for. United lacked the killer ball that would have made the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've seen better autopsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Benitez in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Happy with that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Leaving Kagawa, Mata and Lukaku on the bench is nucking futs.

Boring drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

That was terrible muck all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Btw for me the obvious MOTM choice was John Terry. Terrific tonight from the Chelsea captain, made a couple of crucial interceptions, won almost everything in the air, marshalled the back line brilliantly. It looks like being a fantastic return to form for Terry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Btw for me the obvious MOTM choice was John Terry. Terrific tonight from the Chelsea captain, made a couple of crucial interceptions, won almost everything in the air, marshalled the back line brilliantly. It looks like being a fantastic return to form for Terry.

Yeah, Terry was my MOTM too probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Terry MOTM????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MD1990 wrote: »

Yes, I seen it a few times and the time Rooney went for a shot from distance instead of the through ball to him was malicious. The rift is probably one sided.

I thought Rooney was a disgrace tonight. He played for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That was awful. I'm beginning to regret not watching Madrid and Granada. Ok, no not really but it does sort of echo the disappointment I have after seeing that game. Tactically both teams were awful and very cautious. Chelsea looked more coherent in the second half with the introduction of Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Billed as the Chosen One vs Special One

More Who Could Pull Off The Most Misplaced Passes. :( Awful stuff from both.

Roll on next game only way is up from here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Come on Jose, put someone else on the interviews and stop licking up to the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    On the plus side, we have nothing to fear from that Chelsea side and we're still a superior team. Rooney made a welcome return and Vidic was excellent. Mention for de gea, catching those shots like he did instead of parrying will save us vital points sometime in the future

:confused:

A team being held at home to a 0-0 draw. Being held to half chances and yet you claim that Man Utd are still a superior team...

... lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lampard talking sense about the penalty and "handball/ ball-to-hand" craic

• Advertisement

Man of the match tonight should be the person who trys to pick a man of the match out of that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lampard speaking sensibly as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Leaving Kagawa, Mata and Lukaku on the bench is nucking futs.

Boring drivel.

I agree. At least the Giggs sub showed Moyes was looking to create something but leaving Mata on the bench and bringing Mikel on was bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Terry MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Corholio wrote: »
    Man of the match tonight should be the person who trys to pick a man of the match out of that lot.

Wish they'd picked Rooney just so Shreeves could ask him a few questions.

Have to say Carra's starting to grow on me. Accent gets a bit funnier every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Panthro wrote: »
    Terry MOTM

Well deserved! Van Persie didn't get a sniff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

:confused:

A team being held at home to a 0-0 draw. Being held to half chances and yet you claim that Man Utd are still a superior team...

... lol.

Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Wellbeck off, Giggs on. What a joke. United should sell Kagawa. They don't deserve such a good talent. Totally wasted on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

That was a tame affair. Why isn't Mourinho playing Mata?

• Advertisement

Interesting interview with Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lennonist wrote: »
    That was a tame affair. Why isn't Mourinho playing Mata?

More like why isn't Moyes playing Kagawa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

What did Mourinho say?

What did Mourinho say?

Threw a lot of cold water on the Rooney transfer.

Said Chelsea played for the point and he was happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Jernal wrote: »
    That was awful. I'm beginning to regret not watching Madrid and Granada. Ok, no not really but it does sort of echo the disappointment I have after seeing that game. Tactically both teams were awful and very cautious. Chelsea looked more coherent in the second half with the introduction of Torres.

I'm surprised people though this match would be exciting.
    Most top 4-5 Premiership team clashes are dour defensive affairs .

Chelsea would want to sign a decent striker or they won't have a chance of the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

José was banking on utd jeering rooney out the door. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chelsea would want to sign a decent striker or they won't have a chance of the league

Hardly an issue that has reared it's head yet under Mourinho, they were playing for the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

It's a very common affair - new manager arrives at club, identifies players he likes, identifies players he doesn't like. To me, it seems like he just doesn't fancy Kagawa. Why all the talk of Modric, Fabregas, Ozil? They already have a player in Kagawa who can provide just as much class as any of those, in my opinion.

With the bid for Fellaini, It just seems like Moyes is going for ye ol' English format - a load of big physical players who give the ball away a lot, stifle the opposition play, scrape a goal or two from crosses, and don't look to nurture some quality possession and attacking play.

A week left before the transfer deadline. I hope we sell him and let another team like Dortmund, even Arsenal, appreciate his talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mourinho got what he wanted there. Bizarre to see them playing with such a negative mind frame so early in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My opinion on the game........

That was a hard fought point, Utd just pipped it for me, looked more likely when they broke.

Not playing Mata at all is understandable in these big games just yet but its going to bring idiots out saying he doesnt trust or rate him but of which is utter bo**cks really.

Happy with a point, Rooney played very well, sign of things to come for Utd, got his head down and was well up for it.

Hard to pick a MOTM, either set of CB's could have won it really.

On the peno's Cole was never one although the one on Lamps, despite being harsh could have very easily being given.

A draw ends any talk of either team being s**t this year, which would have happened if either team had won.

Plenty of points and games left and no matter what the result, the season was never going to come down to tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement