Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea match thread.K/o 20.00 26/8/2013 SS1.

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Fcek me wouldn't like to be there on Saturdays if this is as good as it gets

Ah arah now :P Post taken outta context much. Before K/o and first 10-15 mins was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pretty poor match I thought. An awful lot of wayward passes in particular. In terms of Mourinhio, absence really does make the heart grow fond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

alang184 wrote: »
    With the bid for Fellaini, It just seems like Moyes is going for ye ol' English format - a load of big physical players who give the ball away a lot, stifle the opposition play, scrape a goal or two from crosses, and don't look to nurture some quality possession and attacking play.

fellaini can play ball

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

fellaini can play ball

Yeah, I think that's overly harsh on Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Yes, I seen it a few times and the time Rooney went for a shot from distance instead of the through ball to him was malicious. The rift is probably one sided.

I thought Rooney was a disgrace tonight. He played for himself.

He tried to play in RVP at least 4 times. There was however one glaringly obvious snub when he went for the shot from far out with RVP to his right on the edge of the box with his hands out looking for it. Can't really blame him for having a go though, he's well entitled to and he was our best player tonight.
    His body language gave all the suggestions of a player who isn't happy where he is, still looks like he wants out but I don't think he was greedy or deliberately not trying to link up with RVP.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

the faith in Danny Welbeck still amazes me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

how must Kagawa be feeling
    it seems Moyes isnt keen on him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

MD1990 wrote: »

His twitter alter ego Evil Kagawa seems more real by the day

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

MD1990 wrote: »

see for yourself!
    z6tnf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

alang184 wrote: »
    It's a very common affair - new manager arrives at club, identifies players he likes, identifies players he doesn't like. To me, it seems like he just doesn't fancy Kagawa. Why all the talk of Modric, Fabregas, Ozil? They already have a player in Kagawa who can provide just as much class as any of those, in my opinion.

With the bid for Fellaini, It just seems like Moyes is going for ye ol' English format - a load of big physical players who give the ball away a lot, stifle the opposition play, scrape a goal or two from crosses, and don't look to nurture some quality possession and attacking play.

A week left before the transfer deadline. I hope we sell him and let another team like Dortmund, even Arsenal, appreciate his talent.
    Ozil is a similar player to Kagawa but Fabregas and Modric are more central midfielders.
    Definitely a place for Kagawa in the team and I think he will get plenty of opportunities.
    I think you are being extremely harsh on Fellaini anfd Moyes .Fellaini can play ball, sure he is big and strong but there is much more to his game ,he isn't a hatchet man.
    By Moyes trying to Fellaini he is adding a quality CM ,that is badly needed and is a step up in class to what is available at the moment.He can play along side Carrick or do a similar role to Carrick whenever he is rested.Can also play as part of a 2 man or 3 man midfield.

United are hardly going to start playing hoof ball just because they sign Fellaini.You would swear United were Wimbledon MK11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Fcek me wouldn't like to be there on Saturdays if this is as good as it gets

Usually at United games the entertainment is on the pitch, not in the stands! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Rooney won't start - how can he be trusted?

Wrong

Wrong

Not the first time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

SlickRic wrote: »
    0-0.

right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lotto numbers please Slick. :pac:

I seem to remember a lot of the big games under Mourinho in his last stint would have 0-1 goals in the games. He knows how to grind results to win a league that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

:confused:

A team being held at home to a 0-0 draw. Being held to half chances and yet you claim that Man Utd are still a superior team...

... lol.

United finished 14 points ahead of Chelsea last year, so we're looking for signs that Chelsea have closed the gap. United were the better side last night, so those signs obviously weren't there. Meant to post that in the United thread anyway though

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    United finished 14 points ahead of Chelsea last year, so we're looking for signs that Chelsea have closed the gap. United were the better side last night, so those signs obviously weren't there. Meant to post that in the United thread anyway though

United were probably the better side yeah but only because the way Mourinho set out Chelsea last night. Mourinho went out to just not lose so United were expected to have more of the ball with how deep a line Chelsea had at times. I'd say Terry and Cahill will love playing for Mourinho under such set ups, it's what good CBs live for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

United were probably the better side yeah but only because the way Mourinho set out Chelsea last night. Mourinho went out to just not lose so United were expected to have more of the ball with how deep a line Chelsea had at times. I'd say Terry and Cahill will love playing for Mourinho under such set ups, it's what good CBs live for.

so absolutely zero credit to United. Amazing stuff from you. It's fairly obvious who you support here tbh.

Blinkers much?

• Advertisement

so absolutely zero credit to United. Amazing stuff from you. It's fairly obvious who you support here tbh.

Blinkers much?

You know who I support you're looking for a bite! My point is last night's game would be totally different if Chelsea needed a win, Mourinho knows how to grind results to win titles. Yes United did well on the ball but that's to be expected when Chelsea had their whole team in their own half for the majority! One thing I will say positive towards United's performance was the great work ethic of Rooney, Valencia and Carrick.

I seem to remember a lot of the big games under Mourinho in his last stint would have 0-1 goals in the games. He knows how to grind results to win a league that's for sure.

and that's why 0-0 wasn't the most mental prediction in the world.

plus it was early season and Moyes' first home game - nobody really wanted to lose.

Carrick was superb.

Cleverly got more plaidits, and wrongly IMO, though he was decent. Carrick's positioning and recycling of the ball during Utd's periods of pressure was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think Cleverley got more plaudits becuase he wasn't as poor as he usually is. He was completely sh1te against Swansea.

If Chelsea tried to press us properly then I don't think Cleverley would of been as comfortable as he was. I'd be shocked if this Chelsea side won the league this year. No striker, poor center midfield and an average defence. Mata is a super player though. Oscar and Hazard are too hit an miss for me.

Ramires and Lampard were so poor last night. I'd be surprised if Chelsea didnt look to add a body or two in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Premier league isn't a great league though so Chelsea even with that team could still win it. Man City are my favourites at the moment because of the approach Pellegrini is taking. The adjustment to the new system though may cost them points at the start but I think that approach might end up paying dividends especially in Europe. (Assuming they can survive beyond the group stages!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

My Ill-researched nonsense :D Post eradicated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

mitosis wrote: »
    Chelsea lost this tie last season? Meaning they have closed the gap by two points. In a single game!

Chelsea won the league game at OT 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

markc1184 wrote: »
    Chelsea won the league game at OT 1-0.

Ah, bugger. I was looking at feb 2012 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I think the early signs are that Moyes's United will - oddly enough, just like Mourinho - place a greater premium on graft. Fergie's teams seemed set up to counter-attack more quickly and with greater incisiveness. I'm not sure flair players who don't track back and/or tackle will find favour under Moyes. Once again, a strangely similar philosophy to José.

I also don't get that sense any more of players being terrified to come off the pitch losing or having played badly. The prospect of a Fergie hairdryer or boot up the jacksie definitely squeezed a few more percent of effort out of a lot of the Utd players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I also don't get that sense any more of players being terrified to come off the pitch losing or having played badly. The prospect of a Fergie hairdryer or boot up the jacksie definitely squeezed a few more percent of effort out of a lot of the Utd players.

To early to call after only 2 league games.

I cant imagine Moyes is all sunshine and happiness either, you have to pick and choose when to give out stink to the team, constant use of it doesnt acheive much IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

GavRedKing wrote: »
    To early to call after only 2 league games.

I cant imagine Moyes is all sunshine and happiness either, you have to pick and choose when to give out stink to the team, constant use of it doesnt acheive much IMO.

To be fair, Moyes handled his striker situation much better than Jose did last night.

True it's early to call, but I think it's gonna be a long season of Jose complaining and alienating his players; so far he hasn't made a good start with Torres, Lukaka, Ba and Mata. Hazard did well towards the end of last season, Mata did well always, I'm sure he feels that he deserves to be starting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement