Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea match thread.K/o 20.00 26/8/2013 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats the main point, a loss for either side doesnt real do anything damaging in the long term IMO.

Its our 3rd game and Utds 2nd, its not the end of the world if either team lose tonight although I'm sure a few people will enjoy the melt down in the Utd or Chelsea thread that would follow after a defeat for either.

That would be a WWE style heel turning of epicness. :pac:

Think it's fair to say City's loss yesterday takes a bit of pressure off both teams. Can see both sides settling for a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Impossible to guess at this stage.

The back 5 is pretty much set in stone though I reckon and the rest is guess work really.

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Jt Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata De Bruyne Hazard
    Torres

Azpilicueta out of favour with Mourinho or injured?

Think Lukaku deserves a shot up front based on what Torres offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

As a neutral my prediction Utd in a 3-2 thriller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If Torres starts I'll laugh my hole off. Ferdinand and Vidic will mop him up.

<GavRedKing bookmarks for later to laugh>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

VW 1 wrote: »

Dave not really had a pre season and was in South America with the Spanish team recently during those daft preseason international friendlies. Would say more fitness than anything else.

I would start Lukaku we need to keep the ManU defenders honest, he is reasonably fresh from a hat trick against them and is not short of a bit of pace. Himself along with KdB and Haz should at least give the full backs something to think about other than attacking our reasonably weak defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Corvo wrote: »

If Torres does start the only noise that will drown out the ManU supporters laughing will be Chelsea supporters groaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

He's probably been practising his open goal sharpness since THAT miss. Now that was funny....I nearly wet myself replaying that one over and over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Think it's fair to say City's loss yesterday takes a bit of pressure off both teams. Can see both sides settling for a draw.

I still think its too early for anyone team to be considered out right favourites, even if Chelsea win we'll only be 6 points clear and a game more played, means nothing over 35/36 games, had there being 10 games or so left then it would be a huge game but right now its not all that important IMO.
    VW 1 wrote: »

Azp went over for the Spain Ecuador game and didnt get any game time so was rested for the Hull game, Ivan was used to counter Benteke, which he done, ok and managed to score the winner, he should start.

Lukaku has being brought on for 2 cameo appearences so far this season but I'd be surprised if hes started, I would have expecte dhim to start agaisnt Hull or Villa as they're far inferior to Utd at Old Trafford so Torres will probably get the nod, anyone but Demba Ba anyway.

Torres has enough in his game to trouble both but its his goals returns that will cost us.

Lukaku is more of a goal threat and proved ti last season but Torres is a better footballer and links with the supporting cast better.

Jose has a tough call but I'd expect Torres until 65mins and Lukaku to come and try and bully a tired Utd defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Would be happy with the Draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really looking forward to this game, impossible to call imo. Can see it being a tight one, RVP might very well be the difference.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Some fighting talk from Moyes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23832347

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Leroy42 wrote: »

No idea why anybody thinks Manu will win

Because they finished 14 points ahead of Chelsea last term. With the playing squads largely the same, a simplistic view would be 'can the change in management of United losing Fergie and Chelsea gaining Mourinho make up for a 14 point difference in the sides'. There's more to it than that obviously, but id still argue that United squad is stronger with Chelsea having the management advantage. With home advantage, a United victory is the most likely result but it could go any way. Chelsea can take heart from their record over United in the past

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Because they finished 14 points ahead of Chelsea last term. With the playing squads largely the same, a simplistic view would be 'can the change in management of United losing Fergie and Chelsea gaining Mourinho make up for a 14 point difference in the sides'. There's more to it than that obviously, but id still argue that United squad is stronger with Chelsea having the management advantage. With home advantage, a United victory is the most likely result but it could go any way. Chelsea can take heart from their record over United in the past

Utds defence and Forward line are far superior to ours but our keeper and midfield is superior to Utds, same goes for the manager.

What Chelsea have to do to make up the points is to make sure to see games out, somethig we coudlnt do under our past 3 managers with some horrific results from winning positions were squandered. Will we make up the 14 points, probably not but I dont see Utd getting the same total under Moyes so even if we're off the pace come May we should be alot closer then 14 points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Chelsea should've won at Old Trafford in the cup and did win in the league. Was it last season Hernandez won it in London when offside? In a head-to-head there was nothing between them on the pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Be very interesting to see how Moyes approaches the game. Will he back off, be wary and try to snatch a goal? That could mean their superior midfield having more of the ball, eventually breaking us down?

Or will he go all guns blazing and try to end it quick? We could then be caught by the pace of Torres, Hazard and Ramieres.

Will Mourinho have got inside his head?

Might tell us a lot about how Moyes will approach other big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Utds defence and Forward line are far superior to ours but our keeper and midfield is superior to Utds, same goes for the manager.

He's not really anymore tbh. Nothing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

What Chelsea have to do to make up the points is to make sure to see games out, somethig we coudlnt do under our past 3 managers with some horrific results from winning positions were squandered. Will we make up the 14 points, probably not but I dont see Utd getting the same total under Moyes so even if we're off the pace come May we should be alot closer then 14 points.

Can't agree that cech is a better keeper than Dave. After the improvement Dave showed last year I expect this to be the year where he starts to turn into the best in the world.

I have no doubts that Dave will be the best keeper in the world over the coming years. Just hope he stays at united while that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Gonna take a guess 3-2 to utd. Rooney to get the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would predict a draw here.

I think at this early stage of the season both managers will be happy enough with the draw.

Moyes shouldn't of course, but I think the fallout from a home defeat on the 2nd game of the season will be something he may not want to risk.

He may not admit it but I think he'd be relieved enough just not to lose it.

I like under 2.5 too for the week that's in it.

I'll say 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I think Chelsea's starting XI is better all around than United's starting XI if Rooney isn't playing.

Expecting the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Mourinho will be out to prove a point tonight, he made it clear that he would have taken the United job and Moyes was picked ahead of him. I just can't see him settling for a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Can't agree that cech is a better keeper than Dave. After the improvement Dave showed last year I expect this to be the year where he starts to turn into the best in the world.

I have no doubts that Dave will be the best keeper in the world over the coming years. Just hope he stays at united while that happens.

Best in the world? Really? In goalkeeper years he's not far away from the same age as Neuer (a far better goalkeeper) and he's about the same age as Thibaut Courtois (a better goalkeeper). To say he is better now than Cech, just because he had one good season is laughable, bordering on delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Utds defence and Forward line are far superior to ours but our keeper and midfield is superior to Utds, same goes for the manager
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He's not really anymore tbh. Nothing in it.
    Vertigo100 wrote: »

Best in the world? Really? In goalkeeper years he's not far away from the same age as Neuer (a far better goalkeeper) and he's about the same age as Thibaut Courtois (a better goalkeeper). To say he is better now than Cech, just because he had one good season is laughable, bordering on delusion.

Cech is nowhere near the level he was before. De Gea is so much faster and more agile than him. He also has much better reflexes. He isn't the finished article, but on current ability I'd take De Gea over Cech.

To be honest Courtois is better than both of them. Loaning him out again was a mistake.

Kirby wrote: »
    Cech is nowhere near the level he was before. De Gea is so much faster and more agile than him. He also has much better reflexes. He isn't the finished article, but on current ability I'd take De Gea over Cech.

To be honest Courtois is better than both of them. Loaning him out again was a mistake.

Cech has a far greater presence than De Gea, a far greater command of his box than De Gea, a top class shot stopper but also one of the finest 1 vs 1 keepers around, also a bit of a penalty expert and that's come in quite handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Deluded? Don't think so. I think de gea will be one of the best. Cech isn't a patch on what he used to be. I'll give you neuer but I think de gea will surpass him. Courtois is a good shout but we will see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I love the way anderson has reacted to an over the top statement. Oh the hypocrisy

What's laughable is you commenting that he had one good season. De Gea was brilliant last season the best in the league. The season before that he was very good after a shaky start besides what the media will have you believe. He was also very good for Madrid also it's why United signed him.

Cech was fantastic before his injury but has never been the same since. Still a very good goalkeeper and their is nothing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

De gea or Dave as he is being called now really is a bit overrated at this stage. Any slight criticism of the bloke is attacked straight away. If he has a weakness it's his soft wrists and his ability under a cross. I'm sure I'll be attacked for that anyway. I'd have Cech over him myself but I think he will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If Shinji starts, United 5-0 Chelsea.

If Shinji comes off the bench, he might be able to salvage a draw for United, if the damage done before that isn't too bad.

If he doesn't feature at all, United 0-5 Chelsea.

So to conclude this.. no Shinji, no hope.

#FreeShinji! #FreeShinji2K13!

Cech has a far greater presence than De Gea, a far greater command of his box than De Gea, a top class shot stopper but also one of the finest 1 vs 1 keepers around, also a bit of a penalty expert and that's come in quite handy.

He was never a top class shot stopper, even in his prime. A brilliant keeper yes, but agility was never his forte. It wasn't a weakness but there were dozens of keepers superior to him in this regard. He's only gotten weaker at this in recent times and his feet have noticeably slowed down.

I would agree he is quite strong in 1v1 situations and that, a couple of mistakes that everyone makes aside, he is very strong at collecting the ball through bodies. But as a shot stopper, he's lacking.

For example, that Ronaldo free kick that was scored a couple of weeks back was a shot De Gea would have saved. It was hit hard, but was nowhere near the corner. Cech was too slow to react and also went with his wrong hand. Now, it certainly wasn't a keeping howler or anything like that and most keepers would have conceded too......but if we are talking about "world class shot stopping" there are keepers out there who would have stopped it, De Gea being one. The much maligned Joe Hart would have also saved it I'd wager as he's a better long range stopper than Cech.

Cechs slow feet really get him into trouble. Remember that weird banana shot that Cisse scored? It looked great but Cech got himself in an awful mess for it.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    If Shinji starts, United 5-0 Chelsea.

If Shinji comes off the bench, he might be able to salvage a draw for United, if the damage done before that isn't too bad.

If he doesn't feature at all, United 0-5 Chelsea.

So to conclude this.. no Shinji, no hope.

#FreeShinji2K13!

He needs to get out asap if he doesn't feature this season

niallo27 wrote: »
    De gea or Dave as he is being called now really is a bit overrated at this stage. Any slight criticism of the bloke is attacked straight away. If he has a weakness it's his soft wrists and his ability under a cross. I'm sure I'll be attacked for that anyway. I'd have Cech over him myself but I think he will improve.

I don't really think that he is being overrated. It's only United fans defend him because he gets media attention when he makes a mistake while others don't. The like of Joe Hart constantly called world class when he makes more mistakes than the other top keepers and doesn't get abuse.

Any United fan will tell you how good he is and he will only improve. Cech while fantastic in the past is not what he used to be but still a top keeper.

Sure De Gea improved but the extent to which he is overrated by some Man Utd fans on here and ones I know is crazy. Current day De Gea over Cech? Not a chance. Talk of him already being one of the best in the world is exaggeration too, I'd have Casillas, Courtous, Buffon, Valdes, Neuer, Cech, Handanovic, Begovic and probably others ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't really think that he is being overrated. It's only United fans defend him because he gets media attention when he makes a mistake while others don't. The like of Joe Hart constantly called world class when he makes more mistakes than the other top keepers and doesn't get abuse.

Any United fan will tell you how good he is and he will only improve. Cech while fantastic in the past is not what he used to be but still a top keeper.

People are starting to take note of Harts mistakes. He is not untouchable like before.

Sure De Gea improved but the extent to which he is overrated by some Man Utd fans on here and ones I know is crazy. Current day De Gea over Cech? Not a chance. Talk of him already being one of the best in the world is exaggeration too, I'd have Casillas, Courtous, Buffon, Valdes, Neuer, Cech, Handanovic, Begovic and probably others ahead of him.

Valdes? You only think that because you are a Barca fan. Objectively, he was made look good by Barca. He's a decent keeper but not at the level of others on your list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I'm going for a tight 4-4 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

2-1 to utd, rvp getting at least one of the goals. A big penalty shout will be denied.

There's my vague predictions for the night, I'm off out. Enjoy the clusterf*ck lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kirby wrote: »
    Valdes? You only think that because you are a Barca fan. Objectively, he was made look good by Barca. He's a decent keeper but not at the level of others on your list.

Great distribution and one of the best at one on ones but other than that, he's as dodgy as fúck. Makes far too many basic errors and there are plenty of examples.

David De Gea, Joe Hart and Victor Valdes are all over rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

niallo27 wrote: »

Soft wrists? I think that's far from one of his weaknesses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

tumblr_lcvmrxV9Dp1qd2alho1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can see how Hart is, and Valdes is just muck, but DDG over-rated? the chap isn't rated to begin with. Constant abuse is all he gets. Quality keeper.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can see how Hart is, and Valdes is just muck, but DDG over-rated? the chap isn't rated to begin with. Constant abuse is all he gets. Quality keeper.

Hart is a running joke. Never rated Valdes. De Gea has the qualities to become world class but you hear too many people saying he is now which isn't true. Maybe not on boards, but in general he is held in a higher regard than he should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Soft wrists...I know a good workout :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would expect the teams to be close to these...

Cech, Cole, Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic, Lampard, Ramires, De Bruyne, Hazard, Oscar, Lukaku

de Gea, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Jones, Carrick, Cleverley, Welbeck, Rooney, Valencia, van Persie

Anderson starting instead of Cleverley wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Gerry Armstrong just stated on SSN that he believes United are interested in Di Maria along with Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Soft wrists and ability under crosses?

Somebody's reading tabloids from 2012. It happened in 4 or 5 matches the season before last and it was blown way out of proportion to the extent that you'd swear it was the lad's kryptonite. He's improved immensely since then and I seriously wonder if people are saying this based on watching him last season or from a few matches they saw back in 2012.

He's not world class yet but there's nothing stopping him from pushing on from his brilliant season last and getting to that level.

Soft wrists and ability under crosses?

Somebody's reading tabloids from 2012. It happened in 4 or 5 matches the season before last and it was blown way out of proportion to the extent that you'd swear it was the lad's kryptonite. He's improved immensely since then and I seriously wonder if people are saying this based on watching him last season or from a few matches they saw back in 2012.

He's not world class yet but there's nothing stopping him from pushing on from his brilliant season last and getting to that level.

It's hardly just people reading tabloids and saying so is a bit condescending. I see more than enough of Man Utd to make a reasonable assessment of my own on De Gea and there's no doubt that he isn't great under a cross and that he doesn't have the commanding presence of other top goalkeepers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement