Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip Chevron Testimonial Olympia Theatre

Options
  • 25-08-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else go to this? I was at it last night. Thought it was a great show but was a bit perturbed about the lack of Pogues material. Also I know Horslips were the main act but surely the grand finale should have been Phil Chevron related instead of Shaking All Over? The Pogues should have closed the show IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭HorseSea

Yes I was there. It was a sad night but a great gig. I suppose the ending depended on who was there, I am not sure why they didn't finish on a Pogues number. Not knowing a lot about the Pogues, were they all there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Perhaps for a lot of people Chevron is more thought of as the frontman of the Rads rather than a Pogue. Doesn't necessarily explain Shaking All Over though!

Horslips regularly finish with Shankin' and they had perfromed it with the Rads last December when they did two nights at the Olympia so I suppose it was something that they all knew - as Horslips and Rads made up the bulk of the bodies on stage for the encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Puredarkness

i was at the testimonial last nite in the olympia, honestly i was dissappointed. im not big into trad music or old school classic irish rock so there wasnt much there to keep me interested. spent most of the nite in the bar and i left early after waltzing matilda, wish shane mcgowan woulda played more songs but hey it just wasnt my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I enjoyed the performances and thought they were very respectful tributes.

It was nice to see Johnny Duhan there. I didn't realise until he walked onstage that he was one of the guests.

I liked the contributions from Roddy Doyle, Pat McCabe and Joseph O'Connor.

Declan O'Rourke's contribution was very good also, pity there were people talking when he was playing Galileo.

It was a pity some people, as with most gigs, couldn't shut up talking and show a bit more respect to the performers.

What baffles me at gigs is that often you'll see people talking all the way through songs, and then clap when the song ends!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

FYI, Philip programmed 99% of the night himself, who played what for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was there. I thought that it was a wonderful night overall. I was also surprised that we I'd not see more of Shane MacGowan and the Pogues and I had expected them back after or with Horslips.

I liked most of the artists but especially Joseph O Connor, Declan O Rourke, Paul Brady, Damien Dempsey and Camille O Sullivan. I never heard her before but she has a fantastic voice and her version of the Ship Song was a highlight of the evening.

Great organisation to keep the artists on time and some value for money considering the cost of tickets these days.

The chatting duringbthevsongs was a bit of a problem but I didn't let it annoy me. What I couldn't understand was the amount of drink taken by some of those around me. Some sore heads this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Did Paul Cleary do any Blades songs?

Some photos from last night of the first few acts, the rest will follow when I get to go through them.

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DaraghOwens/media_set?set=a.10151879216647238.1073741847.747392237&type=1

or if you prefer Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluetit/sets/

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Did Paul Cleary do any Blades songs?

He did a superb version of Downmarket. He looks ageless too.

Really great evening and a fitting tribute to Philip Chevron. Seeing him on stage was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed. For me he will always be the Radiators and it was great to see the band, thought Gavin Friday did a great version of JJ too.

A stellar array of talent on display, another great night in Dublin :-).

And on the plus side, no sign of Bono.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jgoty2001

Great night. Joseph O'Connor poem, and Fiachna O'Braonain's rendition of Faithful Departed were my highlights. Does Paul Cleary live in an oxygen tent? He hasn't aged - why don't we hear more from him. Damian Dempsey was good too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

i was at the testimonial last nite in the olympia, honestly i was dissappointed. im not big into trad music or old school classic irish rock so there wasnt much there to keep me interested. spent most of the nite in the bar and i left early after waltzing matilda, wish shane mcgowan woulda played more songs but hey it just wasnt my cup of tea.

What exactly did you think you were going to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Beal Tuille

Brilliant gig. I too was bowled over by Camille O' Sullivan and Declan O'Rourke was very good.

Gavin Friday has gone way up in my estimation after seeing him at this and at the Christy Dignam bash.
    Also Fiachra O'Branain (sorry on the spell) was very very good. His Ballad of the Faithful Departed was spot on.

Mary Coughlan looked like she didnt give a toss. Her 'Under Clery's Clock' was meh.

Finally wasn't Aiden Gillen a bit, eh, mincey?

Advertisement