Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running routes in Athlone

Options
  • 25-08-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for running routes in Athlone, preferably on grass and well enough lit to be able to use it in winter too? I'm living in Auburn Heights so somewhere local to there would be good. Hopefully able to do a 5/6 mile run from the house and back, I don't mind laps provided they're 1 mile minumum, preferably more though just to avoid boredom.

Has anyone any suggestions? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

I don't know of any grass-only running routes in Athlone, apart from the sports pitches..but they're too short

the IDA park is ideal for running and is usually quiet enough...its about 1.5 miles of a lap around it....just avoid it when workers are coming in the morning (7am), and leaving in the evening (5pm)

also there's a 3 mile loop from where you live... go out onto retreat road, take a left and up the sharp hill, down past AIT, turn right, head towards town, then take a right at that mini roundabout neat the fruit and veg shop, then back up the hill towards retreat road and Auburn..do 2 of those loops and there's your 6 mile run...best to go early in the morning...a lot of traffic otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Thanks sb78. I've done that one a few times. Today I got 4 miles by running to Ait and a loop around there including doubling back on myself a bit and running back the way I came.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

no worries, also there are running classes on the track in AIT and there's a cross country course inside AIT...you probably know that already...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

sb78 wrote: »
    no worries, also there are running classes on the track in AIT and there's a cross country course inside AIT...you probably know that already...

I ran part of the course I raced on in AIT years ago, the track and astro pitch weren't there then though so the loop is a bit shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

I'd love to go running around town for something to look at but would you not be stopping and starting all the time having to cross the roads/streets and all that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement