Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant TCR composite 3 2013

• 25-08-2013 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding the Giant TCR composite 3.
    I am going to be picking this bike up on Friday, (not signed and sealed so I can back out if needs be, hence why I am here for some advice).

I have been doing triathlons now for 2 years and growing to love them more and more. Up till now I have been using a bog basic Carrera aluminium road bike. Im looking to up things a bit but I do not have the budget just yet to be going down the road of 2/3K TT bikes.

The TCR Comp 3 usually comes in at €1500 and I have landed one for €1200. A bargain I feel for a full composite frame.

In time I would look to add spec to this, racing wheels, aero-bars etc.

What I'm looking for at this point is general advice/ opinion from anyone in the triathlon game with some knowledge on bikes, TT bikes, material advice, etc. Is this a good option for the moment? Could I turn this into a decent triathlon bike? The bike itself seems to get great reviews from the research I have done. All opinions and advice much welcomed.

Full spec can be found here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.tcr.composite.3/11825/56729/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Why would you shell out on a carbon road bike if its triathlons that you are interested in :confused:

You could keep your Carrera bike for winter training and get a fine 2nd hand TT bike for 1500-2000 or build up a new one like you are proposing with the TCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Hey thanks for the reply, so as you can see I am totally new to all this. So your saying carbon fibre for tris is the wrong call?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Pm1e wrote: »
    So your saying carbon fibre for tris is the wrong call?

If he is he's wrong. Is the bike going to be used primarily for triathlons or will yoi be doing some cycling events aswell.

I think what he was getting at was to spend your money on a tt bike and keep your old bike for everything else. From the sounds of it though your old bike is just that. Old..

A new carbon bike will help you enjoy things more and in doing so you'll be more likely to trwin more.

If you have a spare 1500 to spend on a tt bike and use it perhaps 20 times a year then go for it but I suspect youd be better off with the giant.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    If he is he's wrong. Is the bike going to be used primarily for triathlons or will yoi be doing some cycling events aswell.

I think what he was getting at was to spend your money on a tt bike and keep your old bike for everything else. From the sounds of it though your old bike is just that. Old..

A new carbon bike will help you enjoy things more and in doing so you'll be more likely to trwin more.

If you have a spare 1500 to spend on a tt bike and use it perhaps 20 times a year then go for it but I suspect youd be better off with the giant.

Thanks Fred,

So in answer, yes it is essentially to get me going in triathlons. Properly as the old bike is just too heavy. I know the season is coming to an end so ill use it at weekend to get familiar etc.

But yes mainly for triathlons. I've heard horror stories about buying second hand tri bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

But catweazles' point is that the bike you are looking at is NOT a Tri bike. It is a road bike, which are 2 different things. If you are happy enough to train on your existing bike, you would probably be better buying a dedicated TT/tri bike for competing on.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fred,

So in answer, yes it is essentially to get me going in triathlons. Properly as the old bike is just too heavy. I know the season is coming to an end so ill use it at weekend to get familiar etc.

But yes mainly for triathlons. I've heard horror stories about buying second hand tri bikes.

Just keep in mind that tt bikes are built for one thing, going fast and that's usually in a straight line. If you buy a tt bike it will be used very little if you look at most of the second hand ones they usually say it's just not getting the use.

A quality bike be in carbon or composite will have a lot more uses for weekend spins etc you won't find many if any going over the wicklow gap on a tt bike.

So as I was saying if you're happy to spend the cash on a tt bike and have it hung up in the shed for the majority of the year and use it as your tace machine then thats the one to go for.

Myself I'd be getting a decent road bike and if the desire was still there later in I'd pick up a tt bike. It's personal choice really both have there uses and tt bikes used properly will fly passed you in tri so you may need to run faster. :-) If you're looking to win a tri you're more than likely gonna want a tt bike.

Just keep in mind that tt bikes are built for one thing, going fast and that's usually in a straight line. If you buy a tt bike it will be used very little if you look at most of the second hand ones they usually say it's just not getting the use.

A quality bike be in carbon or composite will have a lot more uses for weekend spins etc you won't find many if any going over the wicklow gap on a tt bike.

So as I was saying if you're happy to spend the cash on a tt bike and have it hung up in the shed for the majority of the year and use it as your tace machine then thats the one to go for.

Myself I'd be getting a decent road bike and if the desire was still there later in I'd pick up a tt bike. It's personal choice really both have there uses and tt bikes used properly will fly passed you in tri so you may need to run faster. :-) If you're looking to win a tri you're more than likely gonna want a tt bike.

Brilliant, thanks for the info Fred. Starting to see the picture here. Reckon I'll get the TCR end of the week, work on that during the winter then pick up a TT bike in spring, thanks again mate

Brilliant, thanks for the info Fred. Starting to see the picture here. Reckon I'll get the TCR end of the week, work on that during the winter then pick up a TT bike in spring, thanks again mate

No worries man good luck with it. The TCR will always be there to use so I reckon you've made the right choice. If you keep an eye on the ads over the winter you'll pick up a cheap TT bike. If you go looking in spring you'll be fighting the crowd. Always buy things off season they're usually cheaper.

I haven't heard any horror stories about second hand tt bikes inparticular you just have to be careful with second hand carbon frames in general. If you look on the adverts section on here I'd say you'll find a god one.

Good Luck

No worries man good luck with it. The TCR will always be there to use so I reckon you've made the right choice. If you keep an eye on the ads over the winter you'll pick up a cheap TT bike. If you go looking in spring you'll be fighting the crowd. Always buy things off season they're usually cheaper.

I haven't heard any horror stories about second hand tt bikes inparticular you just have to be careful with second hand carbon frames in general. If you look on the adverts section on here I'd say you'll find a god one.

Good Luck

Thanks Fred, great help chief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In fairness, if triathlons were my thing, I would get a triathlon bike. - A TT bike.

At no stage did the OP say he enjoyed road biking, so I can't see how getting a road bike is the right move.

Loads of good value second hand TT bikes about. If buying new the Canyon speedmax is a cracker, or eurocycles always have good deals on their TT stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye don't buy a road bike for Triathlons, you need a TT bike for that, a road bike with clip ons simply isn't as fast or as comfortable, and bar end brakes and shifters make a huge diff.

fat bloke wrote: »
    At no stage did the OP say he enjoyed road biking, so I can't see how getting a road bike is the right move.

At what point did I say he liked road biking.. Perhaps read my posts again.

There you go OP 2 sides to every story some will just swear they're right. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with whichever you choose.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye don't buy a road bike for Triathlons, you need a TT bike for that, a road bike with clip ons simply isn't as fast or as comfortable, and bar end brakes and shifters make a huge diff.

thanks chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Perhaps read my posts again.

Nah, you're alright man, thanks

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nah, you're alright man, thanks

Another credit to boards. Keep up the good work.

My point probably not expressed well, is that the opening post clearly has triathlon in mind and not cycling. Unless he is good enough to make
    Itu level he will never race a draft legal race.

Why buy a road bike in that case and not a TT bike :confused:

Most triathletes will ride a road bike in winter training and leave the TT bike on the turbo? However in the spring summer he should be using the TT bike exclusively

If he is going to fork out 1k+ for a road bike and hope to save enough for a TT bike in later years, why does he not just skip the road bike and get the TT bike in the 1st place.

The Carreara will do grand for winter rides.

Perhaps post your query in the triathlon forum instead

catweazle wrote: »
    My point probably not expressed well, is that the opening post clearly has triathlon in mind and not cycling. Unless he is good enough to make
    Itu level he will never race a draft legal race.

Why buy a road bike in that case and not a TT bike :confused:

Most triathletes will ride a road bike in winter training and leave the TT bike on the turbo? However in the spring summer he should be using the TT bike exclusively

If he is going to fork out 1k+ for a road bike and hope to save enough for a TT bike in later years, why does he not just skip the road bike and get the TT bike in the 1st place.

The Carreara will do grand for winter rides.

Perhaps post your query in the triathlon forum instead

Perfectly valid point. I was only expressing my opinion on it which many wouldn't agree with. Funds allowing I'd have both but I know I'd be kicking myself looking at a €1500 tt bike sitting on a turbo when I fancy taking on a few hills around wicklow.

As you say a tt bike is best for triathlons/time trial but it's very specific for those and not for a whole lot else.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shansey

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much in the same place as the OP here...

this is my second year and I'm using a Vitus Razor light enough alu frame..this also covers my 4 mile commute to work every day.

I would love a TT bike but I'm put off by everyone stating that they're pretty much only for long flat out rides (like myself:D)

Last time i checked the majority of Irish tri circuits were on hilly country back roads with a pothole or two.. most of the top ten guys still seem to be on TT bikes though.

Also, being geometrically different, i'd guess you would have to be clocking up some miles on the TT to get the muscles right.

basically come winter i'm gonna go tt or new road bike and i've as yet no idea wtf i'm gonna go with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

shansey wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much in the same place as the OP here...

this is my second year and I'm using a Vitus Razor light enough alu frame..this also covers my 4 mile commute to work every day.

I would love a TT bike but I'm put off by everyone stating that they're pretty much only for long flat out rides (like myself:D)

Last time i checked the majority of Irish tri circuits were on hilly country back roads with a pothole or two.. most of the top ten guys still seem to be on TT bikes though.

Also, being geometrically different, i'd guess you would have to be clocking up some miles on the TT to get the muscles right.

basically come winter i'm gonna go tt or new road bike and i've as yet no idea wtf i'm gonna go with.

TT bikes are only suitable for shorter distances and less hilly areas, they aren't comfortable after 30/40km and the gearing means they aren' really suited for climbing while the handle bar layout isn't great for descending.

TT and Tri cicruits are what 24km for a tri and most much more for a TT?

If you were only going to have one bike, then a TT bike wouldn't be ideal, but if you have a road bike as well and you plan on doing tri's and tt's then go for it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    TT bikes are only suitable for shorter distances and less hilly areas, they aren't comfortable after 30/40km and the gearing means they aren' really suited for climbing while the handle bar layout isn't great for descending.

TT and Tri cicruits are what 24km for a tri and most much more for a TT?

If you were only going to have one bike, then a TT bike wouldn't be ideal, but if you have a road bike as well and you plan on doing tri's and tt's then go for it.

Basically what i'm hearing is; if i want to have a long enjoyable ride go out on the road bike but if i wanna go hell for leather at the expense of comfort go for the tri bike.

would most triathlete clock up road miles on the tri bike or is it all turbo trainer?

a felt b16 in eurocycles has caught my eye...

• Advertisement

Theres not a triathlon held in the country where a road bike should be used ahead of a TT bike. We don't have big enough hills here to justify it.

Once you get used to it (make sure and have a bike fit and do some core work over the winter) - there's no great discomfort from being down on the aero bars.

Most triheads I know would have a winter training bike with the TT bike on the turbo and come spring/summer they would train with the TT bike exclusively

catweazle wrote: »
    Theres not a triathlon held in the country where a road bike should be used ahead of a TT bike. We don't have big enough hills here to justify it.

Once you get used to it (make sure and have a bike fit and do some core work over the winter) - there's no great discomfort from being down on the aero bars.

Most triheads I know would have a winter training bike with the TT bike on the turbo and come spring/summer they would train with the TT bike exclusively

Ok now we're getting somewhere...

i've almost settled on picking up a tt bike for next year and holding onto my entry level road bike for commuting and leisure rides..

I suppose if your going to race bikes you best get the fastest one you can afford!

thanks for all the help!

a felt b16 in eurocycles has caught my eye...

Is that the one for 1500 reduced from 2k smart looking bike might be worth a punt :-)

Just watching the itu champs here and the girls don't seem to use tri bikes at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Tcr 3 2013 on dondeal in a shop in roscomon this week 1099e caught me eye but I researched and the 2014 is 1350 brand new

Just watching the itu champs here and the girls don't seem to use tri bikes at all..

I think that's something to do with it being a draft legal race and a technical course. Basically a tt bike isn't great when you've to keep coming off the bars to brake especially in a bunch asone swerve and you can take out a bunch of people.

The races you'll be doing aren't draft legal that's why the top guys will have tt bikes as they're working alone or supposed to be at least.

Great result for Aileen Reid. That was some run by Non.

Advertisement