Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkey Ford's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its down to personal taste imho - Enzo's on William st is much nicer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Only taking about that place last night. Wouldn't mind a ball of greasy food to e honest and they have some nice grease. I'd say the price is gone up though, never seems as busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I personally think it has gone down hill in the last number years. I prefer Enzo's or Fusco's these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

bazz26 wrote: »
    I personally think it has gone down hill in the last number years. I prefer Enzo's or Fusco's these days.

I agree bazz you also cant beat lunigis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The takeway to the right of the railway station does nice enough chipper grub as well.

Only tried there last week for the first time as I noticed the place as I drove by and their garlic chip and cheese was very tasty. Their cheese and garlic mix tasted quite different to most other places I have gotten it in Limerick, but in a good way.

And a +1 for Enzos as well.

Not too mad on Donkey Fords though. Used to love their battered sausages, but think the tastiness of their stuff has gone downhill somewhat in the past year or two.

Still miss the Lobster pot on Henry street though, and Slatterys in Ballycummin/Father Russel road.

The days of pints in Quins followed by nosh at the Lobster pot are well and truly gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Luigis in Parnell street by far the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Let's take a moment to remember the Lobster Pot - gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great memories of college in limerick, few drinks in quinns and two battered sausages from donkey fords. Glad to hear its still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Enzos the best in town by a distance. Fuscos deserves a mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Donkey fords food is cat, I dont know how anyone can eat there, way too greasy, Luigis food is nice but the portions of chips are too small, Reos in parnel street has lovely food and the portions are huge, Reos for me all the time.

• Advertisement

Damn - think I might have to go to Enzo's now later!

If you are out by Raheen/Dooradoyle, go to Tony's on Mulcair road - really good chipper!

Speaking of the Lobster Pot there are workmen in there today. It would never be the same though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Speaking of the Lobster Pot there are workmen in there today. It would never be the same though.

I miss the pizzeria that moved in there for a while. :( They kept the old Lobster Pot menu, but the New York New York pizza was the real highlight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Never found Donkey's that great to be honest. I think Luigi's or Enzo's are much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Friar Tucks. Fight your way in and out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I wonder why Krank's Corner shut down?....i remember when it was *the* places to eat after a night out, 2am....packed out the door. Always had a huge lunchtime trade.

NOTHING could beat a club burger!!......and then for some reason the trade slowed, several fast foood joints have gone in there since and all failed.

?

Just to confirm - yes Enzo's is definitely the best, followed my belly into town last night and was not disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Won't set foot in enzos since I ordered a burger which was preprepared and thrown in the microwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Had Donkey's on Sunday. Amazing as always.

(May or may not have been dying...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

All this talk about Enzo's is making me hungry...getting of my fat ass....grabbing car keys....making my way to Enzo's:D

I have been going there since secondary school, almost 16 years ago and never had a bad meal. The older waitress (cut her hair up short now) has been working for years now, and she doesn't even give me the menu, its "the usual" yep :D

P.S If they only opened the take-away after the clubs \ pubs finished they would make a mint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had a whiting & chip from Luigi's last night. Drove into town at 8.30 on a whim, ordered grub, sat in the car on Parnell st, up from Luigi's and pigged away on the fish & chip, towel on knees, salt shaker beside me.:D

Have been using Luigi's for years - always clean, fast and very tasty nosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

djsim101 wrote: »

The older waitress (cut her hair up short now) has been working for years now, and she doesn't even give me the menu, its "the usual" yep :D

Aw, she's a lovely lady. Always in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

McAris in Annacotty is a great place if you are ever out that side.

jamezy wrote: »

Amazing kebabs as they make the bread thing in front of you so its soft and actually edible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Freda's in Kileely have some great grub as well, sans price increases for chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Donkey's has gone down hill over the last few years. McAris and Fuscos would be my favorite at the moment.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

jamezy wrote: »

where is this place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

vkid wrote: »
    where is this place?

Newtown shopping centre, beside Synotts (O'Connells) bar.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

serious question... do ye know is there any chipper in Limerick that (knowingly or unknowingly) cooks Gluten Free chips? :pac:

i.e. the chips do not have a crisp coating containing wheat flour, and they're cooked seperately in a fryer reserved for chips only, their own oil.
    Most chippers use the same oil fryer for everything, cooking onion rings, nuggets, fish batter etc all containing gluten thus contaminating the oil with the dreaded gluten and leaving the chips un-edible for those on a gluten free diet.

I've found a chipper in Galway and another in Liscannor that are ok, they actually cook their chips seperately in a fryer to preserve the quality of the chips, but most chippers in Limerick are not. McDonald's chips are supposed to be gluten free but not the same as chipper chips.
    p.s. I follow a Gluten Free diet for medical reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

tippman1 wrote: »
    Had a whiting & chip from Luigi's last night. Drove into town at 8.30 on a whim, ordered grub, sat in the car on Parnell st, up from Luigi's and pigged away on the fish & chip, towel on knees, salt shaker beside me.:D

Have been using Luigi's for years - always clean, fast and very tasty nosh.

Problen with eating chips in the car is the more you wait, the more the vinegar soaks through the bottom of the bag, and goes over your jeans and car, stinking out everything. :(

Advertisement