Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Irish tourist visa to Student Visa

• 25-08-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is a non-EU citizen.

She coming here to study for a year (7 months actually) in a couple of week time.

However, she didn't realise how involved the student visa process for coming to Ireland is and left it too late to gather all the required documentation.

She can get a tourist visa for three (3) months on shorter notice, and given that we've booked non-refundable flights (mistake, I know) it would be better she arrive and start college on-time.

Question: would it be possible to arrive on a tourist visa and apply for a student visa upon arrival?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

By tourist visa, do you mean visa on arrival?

That should be fine. It's pretty expensive, though. the financial costs and requirements might be a significant factor, i.e. they would cost more than an airline ticket from most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bohemia209

Is it possible to convert your tourist visa into a Student visa whilst in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

fleet wrote: »
    My girlfriend is a non-EU citizen.

She coming here to study for a year (7 months actually) in a couple of week time.

However, she didn't realise how involved the student visa process for coming to Ireland is and left it too late to gather all the required documentation.

She can get a tourist visa for three (3) months on shorter notice, and given that we've booked non-refundable flights (mistake, I know) it would be better she arrive and start college on-time.

Question: would it be possible to arrive on a tourist visa and apply for a student visa upon arrival?

Without knowing precisely, I'd say chances of converting from one visa type to another internally will be difficult.

I have to say though if she's coming here to study in just a couple of weeks' time and didn't take a few minutes to read regulations for her required visa up until now, I'd be slightly worried as to her ability to sort this issue out. Surely, she must've checked her visa eligibility and requirements prior to considering coming here to study or is this more a 'study to get part-time work rights'?

Apologies if that sounds brunt but ones personal immigration matters should be given slightly higher priority on ones priority list considering it refers to your right to live and remain somewhere.

I'd be telling your girlfriend to contact her school/college for advice and to be accepting of any consequences her lack of attention may cause to her wishes and plans to live and study here.

Will do some snooping and see if I can give you a proper answer to that, but come on, seriously.

Oh, old post. Oops.

Hi AnSliabhCorcra,

My friend i am talking about has a multi entry visa up until 2017 and she recently graduated in a non eu country, she didn't even consider that it might be an issue if she was to do a course here.
    She will be starting a language course in 2 weeks and its roughly seven months long.

Do you if it has been done or can be done, to change your visa status that is? Without having to go back to your country to do it - as her course starts in 2 weeks and frankly she cant afford a ticket back at the moment.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

If your friend has a multi entry visa for Ireland until 2017, then why would he/she want to change their visa status? 2017 is more than 7 month's away.

I assumed that if you are taking a language course , would it not be necessary to be on a student visa rather then a tourist visa?

bohemia209 wrote: »
    I assumed that if you are taking a language course , would it not be necessary to be on a student visa rather then a tourist visa?

In theory, you should have a visa for the category that best describes your purpose in state. In this case, if it's an informal language course, I wouldn't worry too much about this if your friend has a multi-entry visa til 2017. You won't have any work rights though which you may gain with the student visa, would this be the reason?

What citizenship does your friend hold and in which country did he/she graduate?

Is it possible to study on a tourist visa then? I assumed not.

Unfortunately, it would seem that your friend is out of luck (depending on whether they come from a country included in the visa waiver scheme).

If the course is less than 90 days in duration, then a tourist visa is fine. Otherwise, a student visa is required.

Changing status internally seems not possible:

Change of status

All non-EEA nationals need permission to remain in the State. Permission to remain will be in the form of an endorsement in your passport confirming the conditions and period of time for which you have permission to remain in the State.
    Change of status:

In the case of a non visa required national it is open to you to seek to change your immigration status with your local Immigration Officer, outlining details of your future intentions in the State. You should be in a position to provide documentary evidence of the proposed change to your immigration status.
    Should a visa required national wish to change their status they must first leave the State and apply for the appropriate visa at their nearest Irish Embassy or Consular Office should they wish to return outlining the purpose of their journey.

• Advertisement

So my friend is Turkish and she graduated from a Bachelors in Business Administration in Turkey.

The language course is a general english one in DCU.

She regularly visits Ireland and didn't intend on doing a course but something that she later thought might be beneficial.

She doesn't have any financial issues that will lead her to find employment as she will be funded, her only concern is if the status of her visa will prohibit her from studying the language course and is she required to leave the country every 3 months as in the UK visa system.

sorry about the information overload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It depends on her visa, what visa category is it and for which purpose was it issued?

Most likely 2 things will prevent her from studying:

1) When she enters on a visitor visa (assuming it is tourism) that will clearly stamp her passport saying not allowed to study or work n Ireland
    2) Even if the visa is multi-entry until 2017 there probably is a a maximum 30 maximum duration for each stay unless she registers with the GNIB (which won't give her a GNIB card allowing her to study if she is on a tourist/visitor visa).

Whether she can convert it to a student visa while in Ireland will depend on what visa she is currently holding, but I think it might be difficult.

She is currently holds a Tourist visa with the intent of visiting her brother whom is of Irish nationality.

She explained that she visited Ireland before staying for more than 30 days so Im not exactly sure on what grounds that was on.

I think she will go visit the immigration tomorrow to get some clarity , however could there be a process whereby she could re apply for a visa but a student one this time meanwhile still being present in Ireland, as her language course is due to start in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

She is currently holds a Tourist visa with the intent of visiting her brother whom is of Irish nationality.

She explained that she visited Ireland before staying for more than 30 days so Im not exactly sure on what grounds that was on.

I think she will go visit the immigration tomorrow to get some clarity , however could there be a process whereby she could re apply for a visa but a student one this time meanwhile still being present in Ireland, as her language course is due to start in 2 weeks.

She can go and ask, but if what she has is a regular tourist visa, I don't think it can be converted to a student one in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think your friend may be taking the issue less than seriously and needs to get proper advice - not asking people on the internet with partial information.
    In theory, you should have a visa for the category that best describes your purpose in state.
    Given the problems that language schools have had in the last year, with so many closing, do you think any will take students that don't have correct visas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

A student visa is different from a tourist visa.

Once a student has registered with their college, they are required to register with the GNIB. If the person involved doesn't have a study visa then they have a problem.

The GNIB require monthly lists of attendance and any student with less than - I think an 85% - attendance may have their student visa revoked.

http://www.educationinireland.com/en/Living-in-Ireland/On-Arrival/Register-with-the-GNIB/

In the last year or so, I believe that there is far more scrutiny than previously. No reputable educational establishment is going to risk an investigation if they allow an inappropriately documented person in to study.

Advertisement