Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting gear for Kilimanjaro

Options
  • 25-08-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭

I'm climbing Kilimanjaro at Christmas and wondering if any places in Dublin that you can rent a sleeping bag.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Would you sleep in a a rented sleeping bag? I wouldn't personally. As far as I know, you'd be better off trying to borrow one, I'm pretty sure nobody rents them. You'd need a three season down to -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 butch90

Im climbing the mountain myself in october and have been informed by our tour operators that a guy named ronan rents out alot of gear ronan@mountain.ie . You need a sleeping bag liner for hygiene reasons etc. greatoutdoors in dublin also rent them out as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

I'm just back from kili and we brought and used our own Snugpak "The Navigator" sleeping bags which supplied sufficient warmth and comfort for a cost all of €29.99 from the great outdoors -
    http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=209984 - given they are so cheap we donated them to the porters after the climb.
    Admittedly we did wear a couple of thermal layers while in them on the coldest night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

rgfuller wrote: »
    I'm just back from kili and we brought and used our own Snugpak "The Navigator" sleeping bags which supplied sufficient warmth and comfort for a cost all of €29.99 from the great outdoors -
    http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=209984 - given they are so cheap we donated them to the porters after the climb.
    Admittedly we did wear a couple of thermal layers while in them on the coldest night.

Does that actually compress to 22x21cm like it says. People on Amazon say not, unless they got the wrong bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

The strap design is pretty good for compressing it after rolling up but I didn't need to compress it to the extreme (85l rucksack ftw & 3/4 length mat), but I don't see why you couldn't get it down to that or pretty near it. Our bags were white & blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

rgfuller wrote: »
    You can get some very difficult weather on Kili though.
    I climbed in around July 2011 when it was particularly cold - we had a temperature of -15 on our summit night.
    I had a very good down sleeping bag, and was fine, but a couple of the girls with us had only cheap 3 season sleeping bags and could not get to sleep at night with the cold. Its one of the few things you have control over, and given a choice, I would recommend spending a bit of money rather than taking a chance.

Answering the original question now, it was possible to rent or buy well known brands of every type of outdoor equipment including sleeping bags in Moshi (the base town for most climbs) cheaply so that might be another option. My recollection though is that they wanted a passport to be left as surety for the return, which was probably legitimate , but not a risk that a lot of people would want to take.

Advertisement