Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U turns

• 25-08-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When doing the test, does the tester take account of the size of your bike when picking a road for a U turn? Obviously much less space will be needed on a 125 compared to a 1000cc bike.?

I have the test coming up soon, I'm grand with everything apart from U turns in a tight space. ..tips welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Well I know that if you're doing your test on a Pan European or somthing similar then you're allowed to put your foot down on the u-turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Well I know that if you're doing your test on a Pan European or somthing similar then you're allowed to put your foot down on the u-turn.

I heard that is was ok to put your foot down (on any bike)if needs be, points will be deducted but will not cause a fail in itself, is this wrong?

When I first got my bike I was practicing U turns in normal sized roads no bother. Likewise if I was on the dual carriage way and wanted to get on to the opposite side, I found it no bother doing a U turn in the designated lane.

I did a pre test and my instructor brought me down a fairly narrow road to do the U turn- I did it but wasn't too comfortable with it, so I got practicing on narrow roads, just as I was getting to grips with it I fell off- landed awkwardly and had to get 2 operations and a metal plate. Now I'm back on the bike, test next month and I have a fear of even practicing U turns (unless its a reasonable wide road)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Use your rear brake to control the bike. Between this and throttle control you'll find it easier to turn quicker

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Use your rear brake to control the bike. Between this and throttle control you'll find it easier to turn quicker

Hi, yep, thats what I've been always doing..to get the bike moving I let the clutch out , give it some revs and use the clutch to control speed, only use back brakeand look where I want to go, but I justcant get the hang of it now- obviously the fear is a factor, considering what happened when I dropped the bike last time..

Its really annoying as I'm confident on the bikeand have no probs with any other of the test requirments , its just the u turn in a tight space, which will never be needed again after I (hopefully) pass..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi, yep, thats what I've been always doing..to get the bike moving I let the clutch out , give it some revs and use the clutch to control speed, only use back brakeand look where I want to go, but I justcant get the hang of it now- obviously the fear is a factor, considering what happened when I dropped the bike last time..

Its really annoying as I'm confident on the bikeand have no probs with any other of the test requirments , its just the u turn in a tight space, which will never be needed again after I (hopefully) pass..

U turn in the bike test is as useless as the reversing around a corner in the car test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just before you turn point the wheel out, then turn in, that gives you a lot bigger turing circle. Makes the U turns way easier.

This helped me:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Look at where you want to go.

If you stare at the kerb then you'll hit the kerb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

When doing the test, does the tester take account of the size of your bike when picking a road for a U turn? Obviously much less space will be needed on a 125 compared to a 1000cc bike.?

I have the test coming up soon, I'm grand with everything apart from U turns in a tight space. ..tips welcome :)

Many years ago a mate was doing his test on a ZXR400. The tester said drive onto the footpath, it was a residential road, as I know your bike can't make the turn.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    U turn in the bike test is as useless as the reversing around a corner in the car test.

You use the reverse around the corner skills every time you park in a car park. The U-turn is about low speed control not the actual turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i did my test in july, i put my foot down on the u-turn you will lose a minor mark thats all, try to keep your foot over the brake and paddle back with your other foot. make sure you do lifesavers and dont worry about it!

serious3 wrote: »
    i did my test in july, i put my foot down on the u-turn you will lose a minor mark thats all, try to keep your foot over the brake and paddle back with your other foot. make sure you do lifesavers and dont worry about it!

Good to know..take it u passed ! Well done.

What do u mean by paddle back with your other foot ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

right foot covers brake and left foot pushes/paddles/propels the bike backwards....yeah i passed!:D got my pinkie a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The road used for the U turn are quite generous TBH, So the chances of you actually hitting the path are very slim.....so its rider error 99% of the time and then a load of panic. If you have a good pre-tester you should ace it. Be aware that super sports bikes generally have a terrible turning circle but that is no excuse. If you practise on your bike for the test you will get it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

As already mentioned speed control is with the back brake. But I'd like to add:

- Ideally you should have a steady clutch and throttle before you turn the bars. That's "ideally" - don't worry if some adjustment is required in the turn.
    - Slipping the clutch is to be expected.
    - Revs a little too high for the speed is good. This will guard again a mid-turn stall. (The back brake is doing the fine speed control)
    - Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed - and grip too. Very important.
    - Be conscious of sitting upright/vertically, not leaning slightly with the bike
    - Look into the middle of the turn circle, not just in front of the front wheel.

First practice slow speed balance in a straight line, then try wider turns\circles before reducing the turn diameter.
    It's worth putting in the practice in a quiet car park. Confidence at slow speed confidence will be a big boost.

Oh, and make sure your clutch and chain are properly adjusted to avoid a snatchy transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Just did my test and was told that if the bike was too big to make the turn I could stop and come back a little before continuing to complete the maneuver but under no circumstances could I touch the far curb.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Just did my test and was told that if the bike was too big to make the turn I could stop and come back a little before continuing to complete the maneuver but under no circumstances could I touch the far curb.

Good to know...but did he mean you could stop and come back a little if he thought your bike was too big, or if you thought your bike was too big ? What bike did you use for the test? I'm guessing you passed..well done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Or you could do what I did and not earn a single mark against you.

If you are not comfortable doing a U-Turn, a 3 point turn, once executed correctly is a perfectly acceptable alternative. I have done it in both my tests (failed for other reasons) and the 3 point turn was accepted with no marks against me both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I did a 3 pointer too iirc

dont forget yer mirrors, indicators, lifesavers like any other maneouver

Advertisement