Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse summer 2014

Options
  • 25-08-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have arranged to get a horse for kid for summer next.I have a price of 50 euro a week to keep the horse in a suitable
    Stables .... That is sufficient acreage and some indoor facilities.

The stables are registered with relevant bodies etc. well run.

I know very little about horses so I am wondering what other expenses should I be aware of? I will want to get insurance for horse/ for injury etc ...
    Where would you get this?

Many thanks in advance

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Vets bills, farrier, insurance is only available to ponies under a certain age . Is tack supplied?How often can the child ride the pony and does this has to be done in lesson form (at extr cost?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Vets bills, farrier, insurance is only available to ponies under a certain age . Is tack supplied?How often can the child ride the pony and does this has to be done in lesson form (at extr cost?)

Good points thanks ... He has a horse rented all summer at this place and he can go up any time and take the horse out walk him up to stables .. Wash him .. Or whatever ... Ride round arena and put him back ... No obligation for lesson ... Will get him odd one .... Bills re farrier ... I understand ... Shoes ?! Every so often ... Tack?! He will get his own saddle etc etc ... I was looking at the horse welfare place ... maybe about getting one that he would look after ... Or buy... He would be a great horse owner very loving and caring....I would prefer some sort of insurance as a protection against unexpected bills ... Your point re age etc will have to be looked into..... Thks

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

You can insure for vet bills only if necessary, to keep your premium down. As it isn;t your pony, there seems to be no point in insuring for anything else, theft, loss of use etc

Allianz horse and rider insurance.

You may need to get the vet out though for a mortality cert, and any existing conditions will be excluded. It may not be worth your while for an older pony. Horses and ponies with a value of over 2k will need a vetting cert, but this may not apply if only insuring for vets bills.

BHS Gold membership affords very good rider and liability insurance, but I *think* you have to be over 18, check though. It was 70euro for the year (with other things, magazine subscription etc) but I think its gone up since.

Rips wrote: »
    You can insure for vet bills only if necessary, to keep your premium down. As it isn;t your pony, there seems to be no point in insuring for anything else, theft, loss of use etc

Allianz horse and rider insurance.

You may need to get the vet out though for a mortality cert, and any existing conditions will be excluded. It may not be worth your while for an older pony. Horses and ponies with a value of over 2k will need a vetting cert, but this may not apply if only insuring for vets bills.

BHS Gold membership affords very good rider and liability insurance, but I *think* you have to be over 18, check though. It was 70euro for the year (with other things, magazine subscription etc) but I think its gone up since.

Thks a lot he has that already bhs.
    Thks for your points .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

If the horse is stabled, you'll probably want to factor in some feed, think about €11 per back (Simply Natural brand), how long that lasts obviously depends on how much feed the horse gets and how often.

Something we often overlook, fuel costs for getting to/from stables and then there's the incidentals like carrots, apples etc. It all adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is it €50 per week for livery? If so it sounds awful cheap. Or have you to supply feed?

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is it €50 per week for livery? If so it sounds awful cheap. Or have you to supply feed?

I think 50 is basically bed for horse we will have to the rest I think ... They eat grass mostly !! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think 50 is basically bed for horse we will have to the rest I think ... They eat grass mostly !! ?

Alas, if only it was that easy... are you sure you researched this properly enough before considering getting one, even on loan?
    Grass can be difficult to get to, especially if the horse is being worked. You cannot take a horse straight out of a field and work it. Grass is only in good supply during the summer and even then, you need to find the right balance between too much and too little. If you do put it out to the field, it's probably going to be at night as it's easier considering the horse needs to have about an hour each side of being worked to allow for digestion of grass and cool down after work. Then, it's a good idea to keep hay in with the horse when it is in. You may also have to feed concentrates, to keep up the horses energy and balance nutrients, especially if receiving poor quality forage. The amount is high variable.
    Stable and grass livery might have different prices than just stable or just grass. You might want to check, before putting a horse in livery, if it has access to pastures too. If it doesn't, you need to make sure the horse has access to hay when in the stables and fed small amounts regularly (and of course, fresh clean water, no matter if it's in the stable or out).
    Also, never feed a horse grass clippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm not sure are you ready to own a horse? What age is your kid?

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm not sure are you ready to own a horse? What age is your kid?

Your opinion is not required. Your answer to my specific query is appreciated.
    The weekly fee is actually 40 that includes all the facilities that are available at the stables in question. I have made further enquiry to establish this.

20 acres with full use of. It will be one of 12/13 other horses that are there presently. Feed will be extra .....hay etc free. will be 13 yrs in summer.

I wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other. My child does. My partner does. I will be paying to ensure the horse gets what required. I wanted to know about insurance etc and other matters that might arise that I might not be aware of so I will get not financial surprises down the road ...hence my board question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

if the weekly feed includes the stable, facilities and bedding your likely extra costs would include:
    - hay
    - hard feed (if needed).
    - shoeing (every 6-8 weeks). if there are a few of you being shod together you may get a better price off a farrier.
    - Worming. if there are 12-13 ponies they should all be wormed together as part of a routine so check if they do this and if you just pay for the cost of the dose or if you have to organise your own
    - any vets fees that crop up (hard to budget for these. Ensure to agree with the place who pays for the vets fees.)
    - dentist / backman if needed (if you just have the pony for the summer it may not come up)
    - flu shot (again may not happen as might be done before you take it)

if the weekly feed includes the stable, facilities and bedding your likely extra costs would include:
    - hay
    - hard feed (if needed).
    - shoeing (every 6-8 weeks). if there are a few of you being shod together you may get a better price off a farrier.
    - Worming. if there are 12-13 ponies they should all be wormed together as part of a routine so check if they do this and if you just pay for the cost of the dose or if you have to organise your own
    - any vets fees that crop up (hard to budget for these. Ensure to agree with the place who pays for the vets fees.)
    - dentist / backman if needed (if you just have the pony for the summer it may not come up)
    - flu shot (again may not happen as might be done before you take it)

that's fantastic thks ..I was talking to child re shoes before..he reckons they really need shoes but if you do get them you will need to maintain them ? any view on this ..thks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

that's fantastic thks ..I was talking to child re shoes before..he reckons they really need shoes but if you do get them you will need to maintain them ? any view on this ..thks again

Maintain them just means get them done every time the need doing or every (as said above) 6-8 weeks. With shoes, you'll also need to pick out the feet more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Well with the shoes on two things will happen - the feet will grow and the shoes will become worn. So every 6-8 weeks approx (to be honest how long shoes last depend on how fast the feet grow, the condition of the feet, the quality of the work etc I'd one mare who would go 10 weeks easy on shoes). Anyway when the farrier comes out the shoes are taken off, the feet re trimmed and shaped and new shoes put back on.(or the same shoes if they were not worn)

Even if the pony didnt have shoes on the feet would still have to be trimmed and checked regularly enough.

Advertisement