Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway!

Options
  • 25-08-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello all,

I and my family, we will move to Galway around the next 2 months.
    Now we are looking for houses and areas where to move. How is Ballybrit? Are there schools in the area near?

Thanks for your answers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi, welcome, are you working/attending college in the city as that would narrow your search a bit. Also, a primary or secondary school?.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're best to live on the same side of the river as you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ElLocco

Hi all,

thanks same side... well this would be east of the river than, so Ballybrit is quite near to the office.
    For the school it should be primary as my kids are 8 and 10.

Again thanks for your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You're best to live on the same side of the river as you are working.

That was the best one line response possible. YOU WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Ah, Briarhill primary school has had a fist of money pumped into it lately and really looks the part. Otherwise, maybe the boys/girls schools in Oranmore, assuming gaelscoil is ambitious!

The town schools is your other option but you surely won't want to be going in there at rush hour every morning and evening.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info about Briarhill primary school, we will take a look.

How about Ballybrit itself? Nice area to life?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's ok depending on what estate inside Ballybrit you live in. Some are better than others.
    I'd look next door in Doughiska instead.

As Mrs O'Bumble said, stay on the same side of the river. Galway is a city of bottlenecks and the bridges are the worst.

biko wrote: »
    It's ok depending on what estate inside Ballybrit you live in. Some are better than others.
    I'd look next door in Doughiska instead.

Will you drive or walk to work, or are you wanting to catch the bus?

If the bus, then I'd suggest Wellpark, Monivea Park, Ballybrit, old Mervue.

If you're driving, then add Doughiska, Roscam, Renmore, Merlin Park, even Oranmore to that list.

I've done a map which shows roughly where those areas are, in case it's any good to ya: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/06/galway-city-suburbs-summary-map.html (yeah, blatant self-promotion, I know :) but it's kinda handy for these discussions)

Re schools:

Merlin Woods school (confusingly located in Doughiska) is good too. Currently in nice prefabs, with the permenant one under construction across the park. And there's a secondary school being built next to it. Mmm, thinking some more, it probably doen't have a class for your older child yet, cos it only opened in 2011.

It having opened has taken some of the pressure off other schools in the east side of Galway city, so you might have a bit more choice. But it might be worth contacting a few anyway.

If I were you, I'd start contacting the schools in those areas (list here: http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Galway-City) to find out which ones might have a place. Then look for houses based on that. No point living in Ballybrit if you have to drive the kids out to Oranmore each day.

Oh - and don't accept any accommodation until you've had a drive around the neighbourhood and decided that it feels right for you. There are some very different estates in each of the areas mentioned, I won't say "bad" as such ... just different. You need a place where you'll feel comfortable.

Thanks again Mrs OBumble. We have taken a look so far and have spotted some houses in Ballybrit - Lios Caisil or The Meadows. Might have some viewings first. The webpage for the schools is handy, worth to call some schools.

For me I am a bus user and walker so I would take the bus and walk. If they will have a schedule which is better that in Dublin, will be a win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You may want to consider trying to get a 6 months lease only at first.
    While you're here you may find better locations, closer to school or whatnot, and you don't want to be stuck a full year.

• Advertisement

ElLocco wrote: »
    For me I am a bus user and walker so I would take the bus and walk. If they will have a schedule which is better that in Dublin, will be a win :)

Ahh, you do realize that Dublin has about 2 million people, and Galway about 70,000?

No way will you find a better bus service here. Those estates you mention are on route 403, which is every 1/2 hour at most. (But are within walking distance of work if you're not a wuss.)

Yeah could be worse, I know :)
    Just looking for some West opportunities - Knocknacarra - how long would it take from west to east via bus? Just have to look for some more areas, as I do not have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Just looking for some West opportunities - Knocknacarra - how long would it take from west to east via bus? Just have to look for some more areas, as I do not have a car.

Oh be careful crossing town by bus takes forever and there are very few routes. In general to get from k carra to east side you need to change bus in Eyre sq, and timetables are not great. Come down and stay in the Clayton hotel for two nights to do a bit of a test run at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

You should also try Salthill as well

Oh be careful crossing town by bus takes forever and there are very few routes. In general to get from k carra to east side you need to change bus in Eyre sq, and timetables are not great. Come down and stay in the Clayton hotel for two nights to do a bit of a test run at it!

Eh? You're a long way out of date! Bus 405 goes from Rahoon ie north end of knocknacarra to ballybrit industrial estate (via liosban and mervue) every 20 mins between 7am and 7pm and every 40 after that till 11pm-ish.

Definitely an option for a bus commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Eh? You're a long way out of date! Bus 405 goes from Rahoon ie north end of knocknacarra to ballybrit industrial estate (via liosban and mervue) every 20 mins between 7am and 7pm and every 40 after that till 11pm-ish.

Definitely an option for a bus commuter.

i do believe that the first bus from knocknacarra is 6:40 on the BE405

Yeah .. you're right .. I pick it up in Eyre Square, didn't think about the other side.

'Tis a mighty hand service that one, and I reckon passenger numbers have grown a lot as people realised that it makes Knocknacarra to GMIT a viable commute.

Advertisement