Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rental agencies/landlords ACCEPT Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm starting a course in Dublin under the Springboard initiative and am trying to find a place in Dublin city. Despite hours spent on Daft.ie and adverts.ie etc. I cannot find any accommodation that is a) within R/A bands of E80/w b) accepts R/A in the first place. Of what I've seen 95% of the ads specifically will not accept R/A and of the others that do not exclude it, none reply.

Does anyone here know of agencies that will accept R/A? Or have any other advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to Accommodation & Property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's very much an individual thing, unfortunately like with any group, a few bad eggs on RA have tarnished the opinions of many landlords leading to blanket refusals to accept it.

€80 a week is really really low even for the suburbs. Can the place you're studying help by providing you a list of accommodation or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

E350/month is the statutory maximum and I would not receive anything towards the rent at all if I paid more for a place as it would in the words of one CWO be "too good for you". The course is run by the Institute of Banking which has no accommodation office or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I just checked citizensinformation.ie (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html) for you , and a single person is allowed a place costing up to E520 in total in both fingal and Dublin city. The other figure is probably for shared rental accomodation - in FIngal it's 300E, and E350 in the other parts of the city.
    Even if three people in your situ were to rent out a house- you'd be hard pressed to find a 3 bed house in fingal for that - 900 pm

Check out the E520 figure there, its for a single unit for one person, don't see why you shouldn't be entitled to it? P.s the cheek of that person saying anywhere else would be 'too good for you'!

Here's a place at 80e- (http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1370795) but you'd have to pay for it out of your wages as 'no RA tenants'

These have newly refurb studios "from 100e" on NCR (park end) and make no reference to RA- http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1373627

As you say some say no RA on ads or make no mention of it. If you have your money ready- 1st months rent & deposit- and come accross well to the landlord-doing a course etc- you're in with a chance. Good Luck!

zef wrote: »
    The other figure is probably for shared rental accomodation - in FIngal it's 300E, and E350 in the other parts of the city.
    Even if three people in your situ were to rent out a house- you'd be hard pressed to find a 3 bed house in fingal for that - 900 pm

Yep the E300/E350 is for a room in a shared house.
    zef wrote: »
    Check out the E520 figure there, its for a single unit for one person, don't see why you shouldn't be entitled to it? P.s the cheek of that person saying anywhere else would be 'too good for you'!

Here's a place at 80e- (http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1370795) but you'd have to pay for it out of your wages as 'no RA tenants'

These have newly refurb studios "from 100e" on NCR (park end) and make no reference to RA- http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1373627

As you say some say no RA on ads or make no mention of it. If you have your money ready- 1st months rent & deposit- and come accross well to the landlord-doing a course etc- you're in with a chance. Good Luck!

Cheers for that, most appear not to take students either which is a bit of a double whammy. I'm going to offer an extra months rent in advance to see if that makes any difference.

The thing with RA as well is that the landlord has to sign off on the application, also in order to get my payment moved up to Dublin I need him/her to state that I'm living at that address.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

will college accommodation accept it? talk to the college and see if they can help/

Moonbeam wrote: »
    will college accommodation accept it? talk to the college and see if they can help/

Unfortunately not, its the Institute of Banking so it doesn't have an accommodation office like bigger colleges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ladhrann wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, its the Institute of Banking so it doesn't have an accommodation office like bigger colleges.

They may have links to a housing office in another college. No harm in asking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

FOCUS give out a list of ads house,flats for rent everyday 11.30am,
    see http://www.focusireland.ie/index.php/our-services/services-in-your-local-area/144-homeless-support-dublin

Address of Service:
    15 Eustace St
    Temple Bar
    Dublin 2

Contact Details:
    Tel: 01 671 2555
    Email: coffeeshop@focusireland.ie

Opening Hours:
    10.30am-3.30pm (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri)
    11.30am-3.30pm (Wed)
    11.30am-3pm (Sat, Sun & Bank Hols)

I Dont think anyone has a complete list of landlord s who take ra,
    as it changes from week to week.

90 per cent of ads i see don,t take ra,
    or the rent is over the ra limit,

so whether landlord takes it ,the welfare officer won,t give it to you,

IF ITS over the limit

some landlords register with a college to say ,i,ll take students as tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ie the list the give out,is one that has flats for rent that take ra tenants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement