Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail on emissions, will dipetane fix it?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

How ye, put the 2001 golf through the nct the last day. She failed on
    -Parking break imbalance and performance
    -Stop lamps ( Need new back unit)
    - 1 tie rod
    -Wishbone
    And mainly emissions,
    Low idle 0.48% (passed)
    High idle CO 0.53% (failed) So I've to try get it down to below 0.30%, will dipetane do the job??
    Also do ya think shes worth fixing up? Sell value now with no tax or nct,shes sporty and nice looking with 18" RS6's is around €900.
    If i Get her nct'd would it be worth it? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Did you give her the aul "italian tuneup" on the way in?

If not, I would go for a spirited drive at higher revs (3500 for diesel, 5k for a petrol) for about 15-20 mins to clean her out.

Mixed reviews for the likes of dipetane, it works for some and not others it seems. Depends what the underlying problem is. You were not that far from a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shazzerduffy

I've had the same problem today, Car failed on emissions. Should i try Dipetane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yeah, I failed on emissions last time. Added dipetane and flew the retest.

Still have the same car (2005 B6 TDi Passat) and put the dipetane in about three days before the test this time, passed with flying colours first time.

For the sake of a tenner, it's definitely worth giving a go.

That's good to know. I will give it a go better to go with the cheapest solution first. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I've had the same problem today, Car failed on emissions. Should i try Dipetane?

What were the exact emissions results?

• Advertisement

Hi Jim,
    Low Idle CO 0.55% Above 30% Fail
    High Idle CO 0.59% Above 0.20% Fail

Hi Jim,
    Low Idle CO 0.55% Above 30% Fail
    High Idle CO 0.59% Above 0.20% Fail

Mmm. High CO shouldn't be happening and it's unlikely a shot of injector cleaner will help much. How's your air filter? Any chance of getting the OBD codes read?

umm not to sure how air filter is?
    I had a problem with the engine management light coming on. i took it to a mechanic and he did diagnostics it was coming up as cataylic converter bin 1 or something like that. but he was able to delete it and light went off. However after driving 30 miles or so the light comes on again.
    I got the light turned off again specifically for the nct and it failed today on emissions.
    I cant afford a big job on the car and trying to look for other solutions for now.
    Would you have any ideas?

umm not to sure how air filter is?
    I had a problem with the engine management light coming on. i took it to a mechanic and he did diagnostics it was coming up as cataylic converter bin 1 or something like that. but he was able to delete it and light went off. However after driving 30 miles or so the light comes on again.
    I got the light turned off again specifically for the nct and it failed today on emissions.
    I cant afford a big job on the car and trying to look for other solutions for now.
    Would you have any ideas?

This could be caused by one of a number of faulty sensors, as well as the cat itself. What make and year of car is it?

It's a Ford Focus 05. the car itself is running fine and no strange noises or rattle from the engine. I really want it to pass the test its stressing me out :) thanks for your time Jim

• Advertisement

It's a Ford Focus 05. the car itself is running fine and no strange noises or rattle from the engine. I really want it to pass the test its stressing me out :) thanks for your time Jim

You're going to need a mechanic who can read and interpret the fault codes and do a proper component-level debug-and-diag.

Yes I think So Jim. However i will try the dipetane give her a good drive and see what happens if that fails il have to go down that route it get to the source of the problem. I shall let you know how it all goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maddenman

Putting the 01 golf through this saturday lads, will tell ye how she gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 33 411 guy

Maddenman wrote: »
    Putting the 01 golf through this saturday lads, will tell ye how she gets on
    Any word on how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

411 guy wrote: »
    Any word on how you got on?

Probably died from a Dipetane overdose...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it passed and he is conked out from the emmisions caused by celebrating.

Haha ye'll be happy to know she failed after that, dipetane dropped it a bit but it's not a miracle worker. Put a new catalytic converter in which set me back 150 fitted so was happy out. She's still going strong today!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sell the car, now. Was that a spurious cat you put in? If so, they usually only last a year or two if you are lucky.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Sell the car, now. Was that a spurious cat you put in? If so, they usually only last a year or two if you are lucky.

Trying to sell her at the moment, people want everything for nothing and don't like the 1.6's!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Tried dipetane for the first time last week for MPG consideration. I run a 1.8 petrol turbo. Absolutely no difference in running or mpg. Pure snake oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Had a 97 corolla fail a few years ago on emissions. tried dipthane, no better. had to change the cat...cost 300 including fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Tried dipetane for the first time last week for MPG consideration. I run a 1.8 petrol turbo. Absolutely no difference in running or mpg. Pure snake oil.

Exactly... Why do people fall for this ****e. They'd spend money on this crap sooner than an air filter element.... ever think lack of servicing might have something to do with it?

jca wrote: »
    Exactly... Why do people fall for this ****e. They'd spend money on this crap sooner than an air filter element.... ever think lack of servicing might have something to do with it?

Dead right a mhac, money making racket!! Anyone wanna buy a 01 golf 1.6? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

any advice on whether dipetane will work on a petrol car????the emissions were very very high when it failed its test yesterday,i am servicing it this week and hoping a bottle of diptane will cure the problem also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If the emissions are way off then it's not going to be solved by dipetane or any other fuel additive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    any advice on whether dipetane will work on a petrol car????the emissions were very very high when it failed its test yesterday,i am servicing it this week and hoping a bottle of diptane will cure the problem also

No it wont fix it

visual wrote: »
    No it wont fix it
    hopefully major service and new cat will please god

There is only one thing diptane is good for, and that is lightening your wallet.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    There is only one thing diptane is good for, and that is lightening your wallet.

hearing conflicting stories on the stuff

• Advertisement

hearing conflicting stories on the stuff

Its one of those "seems to work for some people/cars"

If it really worked as claimed, it would work in every car, every time.

I think it has a placebo effect on people, and the stuff actually does f all.

Did nothing for me anyway, and I gave it a proper try out.

Advertisement