Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planes in Shannon

• 25-08-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

All of the planes that were at Shannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Was Jet Airways ever at Shannon? Do they have flights from India?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Looks like there was one passing through in july.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/n707pm/9374975319/

And there is a former one parked up seemingly too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/8714123735/

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

The 737-800 Jet is owned by MCAP - Aviation Leasing Company. You will see many aircraft from with airline colours that are going into/out maintenance in Shannon (Shannon Aerospace, Transaero etc.). The Indian airline you described never had nor never will have flights into or out of Shannon. Its just an aircraft coming back or going to a customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

knockon wrote: »
    The 737-800 Jet is owned by MCAP - Aviation Leasing Company. You will see many aircraft from with airline colours that are going into/out maintenance in Shannon (Shannon Aerospace, Transaero etc.). The Indian airline you described never had nor never will have flights into or out of Shannon. Its just an aircraft coming back or going to a customer.
    Quite often aircraft are repainted at Shannon as well.

Is the Airbus A380 going to come to Shannon again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Is the Airbus A380 going to come to Shannon again

Shannon is a major diversion airport for aircraft crossing the Atlantic so the A380 probably will be at some stage - but as for scheduled ops - very very doubtful

Did the Boeing 747 come to Shannon

Does someone have a pilot map etc. for Shannon?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Aer Lingus used them transatlantic for years. No scheduled B747's using Snn these times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I flew from Dublin to Shannon on a 747 in late 80s as a school tour, first time on a plane. Think they used to do it to make up a couple of quid in the seats that would be filled from Shannon onwards.

• Advertisement

Does someone have any pictures of Boeing 747 Aer Lingus?

You have to look up this website. It like has pictures of all the planes of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

salmocab wrote: »
    I flew from Dublin to Shannon on a 747 in late 80s as a school tour, first time on a plane. Think they used to do it to make up a couple of quid in the seats that would be filled from Shannon onwards.

This her?:eek:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/148851/M/

Boeing 747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

The US bound flights used to pass over west Clare coming from Shannon, so low sometimes that you could see the cabin lights.
    Living in the US and at the Long Island beaches on the weekends, you could always tell the time by the Aer Lingus planes arriving from home as they made their final approach along the shoreline.

Haha
    This is EI BED at Shannon looking more respectable:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Does someone have a pilot map etc. for Shannon?

Do you mean charts - if so you can find them all here - http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/aip_einn_charts.htm

Aerodrome Chart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Does anyone remember the Concorde landing in Shannon?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MyKeyG wrote: »

I'd say anyone 30 or over will remember the Concorde, especially when Shannon was the training area for BA

• Advertisement

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Remember it flying around west Clare, the first knowledge that it was around was loud explosion and the sleeping dog falling off the wall with the fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Remember it flying around west Clare, the first knowledge that it was around was loud explosion and the sleeping dog falling off the wall with the fright.

Can't believe they were allowed to break the "sound barrier" over Clare - aren't there supposed to be regulations against this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Can't believe they were allowed to break the "sound barrier" over Clare - aren't there supposed to be regulations against this sort of thing?

"Head just north of Galway till you see the British ships. They come very close to the island when they're dumping the old 'Glow in the Dark'".

As time goes on the more obvious it becomes that Father Ted was actually a documentary.

That was the mid-70s, and I don't think "regulation" was part of the Irish lexicon back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

That was the mid-70s, and I don't think "regulation" was part of the Irish lexicon back then.

Come to think of it - it isn't now, is it? (not with the bankers, anyway)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I would have thought so too but according to wiki the sonic booms were also a nuisance in North Cornwall and North Devon as these areas were underneath the flight path of Concorde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It was later than that. I was born in 81 and I remember seeing it landing in Shannon when I was about 4 or 5. In fact my Aunts budgie dropped dead after a sonic boom. No word of a lie.

Allowing for some "funny" answers, Concorde never broke the sound barrier over Ireland.
    Concorde in regular service went supersonic well southwest of Ireland, but given the right atmospheric conditions the boom could be heard in south west england and southern ireland.

Mind you , Concorde was LOUD in normal operation, especially with full reheat engaged.

I stood at threshold of 24 (on the public side of the wire of course) when it took off an it was actually physically painful, your ears had to be covered and you felt the sound in your stomach.

The last time I saw it was 1992 in Shannon, and I knew it was there because I could hear it taking off in Ennis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I am from Clare, I used to stay in Wexford over the Summer's, I heard the sonic boom down there, it had a long drawn out hopping sound, like a door not closed properly in a drafty woody house.

I can remember watching it take off and land from that hill facing the length of the runway.

I actually felt the effects in my insides too almost felt sick from the intensity. ..

• Advertisement

Geomy wrote: »
    I am from Clare, I used to stay in Wexford over the Summer's, I heard the sonic boom down there, it had a long drawn out hopping sound, like a door not closed properly in a drafty woody house.

I can remember watching it take off and land from that hill facing the length of the runway.

I actually felt the effects in my insides too almost felt sick from the intensity. ..

Was that on the hill where the VOR is?

I once tried to stand underneath it on the perimeter road (now closed) that crossed the approach, but at the last minute my nerve failed me.:o

Advertisement