Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planes in Shannon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

cml387 wrote: »
    Was that on the hill where the VOR is?

I once tried to stand underneath it on the perimeter road (now closed) that crossed the approach, but at the last minute my nerve failed me.:o

That's the hill alright, I think it's blocked off now though. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

It was a great pastime in the early 90's to stand at the fence at the start of the runway in Shannon right underneath the planes as the landed ( like a u2 video!!) I often did it as the Concorde was doing touch and go it was amazing !!!!!...they closed off the road once the protests over the Iraqi war started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

mikeoh wrote: »
    It was a great pastime in the early 90's to stand at the fence at the start of the runway in Shannon right underneath the planes as the landed ( like a u2 video!!) I often did it as the Concorde was doing touch and go it was amazing !!!!!...they closed off the road once the protests over the Iraqi war started

Do you remember the times in Shannon when the plane's were practising flights so low that the house and business alarms used to
    go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

The Concorde would put our cattle mad running around the field like the world was coming to an end....and that was once or twice an hour!!!!......if I remember the runway in cork was too short for it to land there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Concorde landing in Shannon?

Yes! The racket it used to make! Our house is right on the flight path, so it would come in low overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Does anyone have blueprints of the Concorde.

What times does the Boeing 787 land in Shannon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

What/whose B787 is due in Shannon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Any other questions dennis ?

Any

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

salmocab wrote: »
    I flew from Dublin to Shannon on a 747 in late 80s as a school tour, first time on a plane. Think they used to do it to make up a couple of quid in the seats that would be filled from Shannon onwards.

True, for many years Aer Lingus operated the shortest domestic route in the world using a 747 ! Although the airlines would rather not have stopped in Shannon at all. The Shannon stopover was a compulsory requirement by the Irish Government where transatlantic airlines were obliged to stop there in order to protect business at the airport. In most cases it cost the airlines money and was seen as a pain in the backside by most passengers and the airlines themselves.

The stopover was made redundant since the policy of open skies was introduced and Shannon hasn't suffered as a result on transatlantic routes.
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Concorde landing in Shannon?

British Airways used Shannon extensively to test their Concorde fleet in 2001 prior to putting them back into service following their upgrade in the wake of the Paris crash the previous Summer.
    Does anyone have blueprints of the Concorde.

Some cutaway images here.

And Blueprints.com
    Snowc wrote: »
    Any other questions dennis ?

Whats the harm in asking questions?

I don't see why it bothers you seeing as you haven't answered any of them.

Seriously - The things some people get upset about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Lapin wrote: »

Whats the harm in asking questions?

I don't see why it bothers you seeing as you haven't answered any of them.

Seriously - The things some people get upset about. :rolleyes:

Lapin what makes you think I am upset ?I was just curious why dennis was asking stupid random questions.

When is the airbus a380 landing in shannon?

Does anybody know when the tu95 is going to touch down on runway 24? etc

Also thanks for the :rolleyes: are you 12 ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I think Dennis is a plane spotter and Shannon is his nearest airport.
    So naturally he is asking about unusual aircraft rather than the normal Aer Lingus and Ryanair types.
    So there is no harm in asking.

Then again I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Boeing planes back in Shannon after the announcement of the Boston route this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

golfball37 wrote: »
    Boeing planes back in Shannon after the announcement of the Boston route this morning.

In addition to the ones United and Ryanair have every day in Shannon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

golfball37 wrote: »

This route was announced ages ago. Today was the commencement of these flights.

Also, don't forget Omni, and the cargo companies use Boeing aircraft in Shannon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

More significantly this is the first time in 43 years that no scheduled carrier is flying transatlantic in a twin aisle.

In the past you had
    Transamerica
    Northwest Orient
    TWA
    Pan AM
    Air Canada
    all flying out of Shannon at one time using 747's, DC10, L1011's with direct flight to New York, etc and even a twice weekly service to Los Angles direct from SNN. And aftre they pulled out or went bust we had the 330's served by Aer Lingus up to last year.

All the scheduled trans atlantic carriers this Summer are using the 757 and not a wide body to be seen.

United to ORD
    United to EWR
    Delta to JFK
    Aer Lingus to JFK & BOS
    US Airways to PHL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

knockon wrote: »
    More significantly this is the first time in 43 years that no scheduled carrier is flying transatlantic in a twin aisle.

In the past you had
    Transamerica
    Northwest Orient
    TWA
    Pan AM
    Air Canada
    all flying out of Shannon at one time using 747's, DC10, L1011's with direct flight to New York, etc and even a twice weekly service to Los Angles direct from SNN. And aftre they pulled out or went bust we had the 330's served by Aer Lingus up to last year.

All the scheduled trans atlantic carriers this Summer are using the 757 and not a wide body to be seen.

United to ORD
    United to EWR
    Delta to JFK
    Aer Lingus to JFK & BOS
    US Airways to PHL

And don't forget Aeroflot's IL86's to Havana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Air Transat will fly once a week to Toronto with A330 ;)

If it weren't for the 757 there would nowhere near that level of service- they fit the SNN market perfectly.

Advertisement