Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council sez 'We told you so' on traffic gridlock

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

snubbleste wrote: »
    Point of order re those guard rails, they are not just put there to channel pedestrian traffic but also to ensure wayward motorists don't park there. This was a serious issue on that stretch for decades.
    A few bollards would've solved that problem.

I've even seen them ignore the Mayor, which shows clearly that they do not even respect that office.

Given that the position of Mayor in Galway city is rigged in favor of the main parties who have a cosy deal amongst themselves to rotate and share the position, I don't blame anyone for not respecting that particular role of local govt. Then again, you may have been referring to the time when PC was in the role in which case, again its not suprising given his carry on (as reported in the papers) that he got no respect. He and the city hall have been at loggerheads for years.

Anywho, back on topic, I would have to agree with snub with regards to the parking and the barriers. That particular stretch of road would be better off if one of the following happened:
    - the G&L closed
    - on-road cycle lane from bridge lights to lights by Seamus Q Rd along with strategic removal of low kerbs to be replaced with high kerbing. Both would (hopefully) discourage mounting paths to park
    - double yellow's around that area with enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

close the g&l. I hope that's a little tongue in cheek.

I believe there are long term plans to turn that road into a one way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Given that the position of Mayor in Galway city is rigged in favor of the main parties who have a cosy deal amongst themselves to rotate and share the position, I don't blame anyone for not respecting that particular role of local govt. Then again, you may have been referring to the time when PC was in the role in which case, again its not suprising given his carry on (as reported in the papers) that he got no respect. He and the city hall have been at loggerheads for years.

Anywho, back on topic, I would have to agree with snub with regards to the parking and the barriers. That particular stretch of road would be better off if one of the following happened:
    - the G&L closed
    - on-road cycle lane from bridge lights to lights by Seamus Q Rd along with strategic removal of low kerbs to be replaced with high kerbing. Both would (hopefully) discourage mounting paths to park
    - double yellow's around that area with enforcement

It was Terry O'Flaherty, hardly known for excessive self-aggrandisement and obnoxious carry-on.

What's G&L?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It was Terry O'Flaherty, hardly known for excessive self-aggrandisement and obnoxious carry-on.

What's G&L?

the centra

• Advertisement

close the g&l. I hope that's a little tongue in cheek.

I wasn't advocating for it to happen, just stating the traffic situation there would be improved if it wasn't there or traffic was prevented/discouraged from stopping there

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Given that the position of Mayor in Galway city is rigged in favor of the main parties who have a cosy deal amongst themselves to rotate and share the position

Rigged? It's a cross-party power-sharing agreement. There's a big difference.

Advertisement