Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does FTTC really help you out in fps shooters

• 25-08-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I mean, if anyone out there that has had the upgrade from VDSL to fiber optics broadband, how much of a difference do you see in fps games? By difference i mean connection wise, Can you see any kind of improvements at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I mean, if anyone out there that has had the upgrade from VDSL to fiber optics broadband, how much of a difference do you see in fps games? By difference i mean connection wise, Can you see any kind of improvements at all?
    FTTC is VDSL. Did you mean uppgrade to VDSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

FTTC = fiber to the cabinet (VDSL)
    FTTH = fiber to the home (true fiber optic)

On topic: I see people with good pings, but not that much better than ADSL. Some people with FFTH have amazingly low pings. Either way, both still comes down to distance to the server, but I am also curious about real world improvement in latencies over ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

murphaph wrote: »
    FTTC is VDSL. Did you mean uppgrade to VDSL?

yes

raymix wrote: »
    FTTC = fiber to the cabinet (VDSL)
    FTTH = fiber to the home (true fiber optic)

On topic: I see people with good pings, but not that much better than ADSL. Some people with FFTH have amazingly low pings. Either way, both still comes down to distance to the server, but I am also curious about real world improvement in latencies over ADSL

We are far from getting the FTTH anytime soon, well most of the majority is anyway. By the way i know ping matters alot in online fps shooters but where does upload come in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

We are far from getting the FTTH anytime soon, well most of the majority is anyway. By the way i know ping matters alot in online fps shooters but where does upload come in?

upload bandwidth is meant for multiple users on same modem. Imagine full family with 5 PCs on ADSL. When 2 of members turns on their Skype conversations, everyone else will experience bad connection. A third guy plugs in torrents or simply uploads a video to youtube, everyone's real-time applications start to drop connections with pings of 5000 and higher.
    The internets works only one way at a time - it's either up or down. And when up is clogged, there is no down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

raymix wrote: »
    upload bandwidth is meant for multiple users on same modem. Imagine full family with 5 PCs on ADSL. When 2 of members turns on their Skype conversations, everyone else will experience bad connection. A third guy plugs in torrents or simply uploads a video to youtube, everyone's real-time applications start to drop connections with pings of 5000 and higher.

The internets works only one way at a time - it's either up or down. And when up is clogged, there is no down.

That's not necessarily true. If you have a telephone call using a VoIP/Skype connection, this is real time. Ring the mobile to a person beside you, now you are downloading what he is saying and uploading what you're saying. So saying the internet only works one way is not true. A voice conversation is up and down if both are speaking at the same time believe it or not, otherwise it would be like radios

"174" views and not a single reply - on if their gaming experience has changed even in the slightest with VDSL/fiber to the cabinet.
    No one has efiber? lol :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Gaming needs a ping as low as posible and only a small amount of upstream and downstream bandwidth. I'd imagine 1Mbits/256k upload should do the trick.
    But I guess if your ADSL was really bad and kept droping packets or was just not reliable or you were syncing at a really low speed or had to have interleaving enabled and had a high ping. Then if you moved to VDSL and your CAB was now really close to you then it would be better. Its hard to imagine that anyone would have a dodgy VDSL connection considering the line is usually only a few hundred meters long at most before it hits Fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

"174" views and not a single reply - on if their gaming experience has changed even in the slightest with VDSL/fiber to the cabinet.
    No one has efiber? lol :/
    it changes quite significantly with FTTH due to the significantly reduced ping, but I don't know about FTTC although I'd have to assume so given that the ping as far as the cabinet should be reduced.

This is what 100mbps Magnet FTTH looks like.

2898451790.png

vibe666 wrote: »
    it changes quite significantly with FTTH due to the significantly reduced ping, but I don't know about FTTC although I'd have to assume so given that the ping as far as the cabinet should be reduced.

This is what 100mbps Magnet FTTH looks like.

2898451790.png

I am soooooo jelly :o

• Advertisement

I am soooooo jelly :o
    the sad thing is, i've been here since december and my desktop pc is still sitting next to my desk yet to be plugged in the study surrounded by boxes.

no time for gaming when you have young kids and pregnant wives. :(

i think the last game i actually had time to play properly was Crysis 2 back when it was new. :eek:

vibe666 wrote: »
    the sad thing is, i've been here since december and my desktop pc is still sitting next to my desk yet to be plugged in the study surrounded by boxes.

no time for gaming when you have young kids and pregnant wives. :(

i think the last game i actually had time to play properly was Crysis 2 back when it was new. :eek:

What? What are you doing with that fiber then, throw it over here. :P

i'm not the only one in the house and it still gets plenty of use downloading stuff, just not gaming.

Haha yeah i know, i was just joking around. I am getting FTTC, this september. I only wish i could get FTTH to improve my gaming experience overall but i guess this will do is well :)

wish i had more time to make the most of it.

having said that, our 6 month old 2tb Sky+ box just went titsup and they can't get an engineer out till next wednesday, so i think it'll be getting plenty of use for the next week! :D

Lol, tell me about it man - I don't even have a TV in the house :/

Advertisement