Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a gaming Laptop

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Sorry, I went with the HP you have linked in your original post, which has a better A10 processor, the A10-4600 as a bit slower but still a lot faster than the ULV Core i3.

d9DHdZU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Well it is still way faster than the i3, are you sure you haven't mixed up any other components such as the graphics with the ones I had on my original post? I reposted the specs only a few posts back.

If you haven't than I guess I'll be getting the HP, thanks.

Nope, the rest is just according to the specs in your recent post (as the headlines in each image confirm).

As for the battery life, whatever manufactures/dealers claim is usually far off the "real world" experience. Sure, you can dim the display to the max, mute the volume, turn off wireless netowrk, etc and you might get close to the promised battery life, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Oh I know but if the Asus promises 3.5H and the HP promises 5.5H than it still has to be better even if in reality the Asus is 2H and the HP is 4H.

Possibly, according to ASUS, the battery features 4 cells, 2600 mAh, 37 Whrs... which is very low. Got a model no. for the HP?

• Advertisement

Afraid not, the label next to it just referred it as a HP 15.6 laptop.

Anyway, a comparison of the specs clearly favours the HP.

Yup, thanks anyway.

BTW there are a few fingerprint marks on the top of the laptop, to be honest I'm not really sure how they got there since I've only used the laptop once to set it up. But my Mom is freaking out saying the guy isn't going to take it back due to them as he said it had to be in perfect condition.

Should I try wipe them off? I used a cloth but it wasn't good enough, should I try wet it or use a baby alcoholic wipe or do you think I should leave it as is. I'm sure all he is looking for is if the laptop has been tampered with or is scratched.

Since I'm returning it tomorrow, I need to repackage the laptop before then so if you can tell where whether or not I should wipe it before than, I'd appreciate it.

Ok guys I've swapped it for the HP and so far it is running fine, but I haven't actually ran any games on it yet :)

BTW just a minor thing, the keyboard for whatever reason thinks that the Fn functions of keys is the default so in order to use a F key like say F5, I have to hold Fn and F5. I've read that I can unlock it with Fn + Num Lock or a similar combination but it doesn't seem to work.

• Advertisement

This stupid behaviour can be reversed in the BIOS.

Click me.

Hey guys sorry to resurrect the thread but I was talking to a guy today who had a laptop with a 620 Nividia graphics card and he is convinced it is superior to my APU. He said that rankings aren't everything and that since my CPU and GPU are combined into an APU that it is naturally inferior since the APU has to do the job of a CPU and a GPU. Is he right?

Hey guys sorry to resurrect the thread but I was talking to a guy today who had a laptop with a 620 Nividia graphics card and he is convinced it is superior to my APU. He said that rankings aren't everything and that since my CPU and GPU are combined into an APU that it is naturally inferior since the APU has to do the job of a CPU and a GPU. Is he right?

Tell him to go and play a round of Battlefield 3 on his "superior" GT 620M and then have a good laugh. ;)

Seriously, plenty good graphics benchmarks out there (3DMark06, Furmark, Valley Benchmark, all free). Just run them on your laptops and let them decide "superiority".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Could argue all day but simply put no, he's not right.

Advertisement