Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Illustrator CS6 - internal path?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this sounds daft, but I've never used Illustrator before, and I'm lost!

I have two things I'm trying to do:

1) If I use a text font, Arial for example, I can "Create Outline" easily, but what I want to do is create an "Inline". That is a single path, running along the centre of the font. I want this path so I can apply different stroke effects to it.

Example:

rh47-star-word.jpg

2) I want to be able to "Create Outline" to clipart, but does this need to a specific filetype to begin with, as I'm not having much luck with that either.

Example:

rh131-celtic-knot.jpg

It's also possible that there's a better tool than Illustrator for doing this?

Thanks, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Text doesn't have anything but an external path and a fill. It's not like a regular path with a fill and a stroke. I'm not aware of an easy way to get a median path through a character. If you expand your text (Object>Expand) you can apply an offset with a negative value from the Path menu under Object. This isn't ideal. Another option is to use a blend to create a series of objects and edit the linking line to follow each letter.

Another approach would to create a symbol brush and apply the brush to your text. Here's a guide:
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/scatter-symbol-path-illustrator-49889.html
    Symbols can be pretty powerful, but take time to master, here's another more general guide to them:
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/09/16/an-in-depth-study-of-symbols-in-illustrator-cs5/

Reagrding your second question, you want to save clipart for MS Office?
    I presume it uses MS's own Windows Metafile format.

Advertisement