Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History or Ag science, which should I choose?

• 25-08-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

This a question my sister has as regards choosing subjects for her Leaving Cert:
    "I will be studying English, Irish, Maths and French but I'm finding it hard to choose my 3 other subjects. I'm considering Medicine as a career so I will do Biology and Chemistry. I also wanted to do History with those two science subjects but many people have pointed out how hard it will be to study for History and Chemistry especially as I'm considering doing higher level Maths. A lot of people have said that Biology and Agricultural Science would be a good combination to do as a few chapters of Biology and Agricultural Science overlap. I enjoyed History in the Junior Cert and would like to do it for Leaving Cert but I'm afraid I will be putting a lot of pressure on my self with all the study as Chemistry and History are demanding subjects. I'm wondering if Agricultural Science would be a better choice?
    Has anyone done these subjects? Or could give me any advice as to what to do."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

history is a very very demanding subject, but even though i don't do it I know ag science can be too, what with the project.

I love history a lot, but it's an exhausting subject and with the other subjects she's doing I really wouldn't recommend it personally? I think that would put a lot more pressure on her. It's seriously a huge subject, if she likes writing and english then maybe but it's so different from J.C history.

I really can't speak for ag science because liek I said I don't do it but I know it does overlap with ag science. At the end of the day it's her choice and whichever she feels more drawn to.

Would she maybe consider some other subject like business? I'm just thinking of the project in both subjects which might make it more difficult to study for the others, especially if she wants 600+ points like. but that's my 2 cents!! she should just go with her gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

While the workload in history is quite large, it is often times greatly over-exaggerated. Im heading into 6th year and studying the same subjects as your sister, with the exception of French (I study German) and I find that it takes up no more time than any other subject, such as Biology or Chemistry. My class and I are almost finished the course, we've even finished the first few drafts of our projects. Maybe it's just because I absolutely love history, but I would vouch for her 100% to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

AG SCIENCE!! Unless you absolutely love history and are a talented essay writer it could end up as two years of torture. Ag science is a far better subject to aim for a high grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It has been noted here often that there is an overlap between biology and ag.sci.

Much as I love history myself, with that combination AgSci may be the easier option IF she has any interest in the subject ... she certainly doesn't need to be from a farming family or anything, but if she's forcing herself to open the book that will probably balance out any advantage she would gain from the overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

Thanks for all the replies. She still hasn't made up her mind so she's going to sit in on both classes to see how they work out for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Generally the grades for History are as high - if not higher than Ag. Science.

There is an illusion that some subjects are easier to get good grades in than others - it is not the case.

I have always suggested that students should take the subject they like best - you tend to do better in subjects you like than those you don't.

Given that - LauhgingOwl - your sister is planning taking Biology then I would suggest Ag. Science - there is a cross over between the two subjects in terms of content so both subjects assist the other in terms of what you need to learn and understand.

However - this does concern me -
    This a question my sister has as regards choosing subjects for her Leaving Cert:
    "I will be studying English, Irish, Maths and French but I'm finding it hard to choose my 3 other subjects. I'm considering Medicine as a career so I will do Biology and Chemistry. I also wanted to do History with those two science subjects but many people have pointed out how hard it will be to study for History and Chemistry especially as I'm considering doing higher level Maths. A lot of people have said that Biology and Agricultural Science would be a good combination to do as a few chapters of Biology and Agricultural Science overlap. I enjoyed History in the Junior Cert and would like to do it for Leaving Cert but I'm afraid I will be putting a lot of pressure on my self with all the study as Chemistry and History are demanding subjects. I'm wondering if Agricultural Science would be a better choice?"

Given that there is a bonus of 25 points for HL Maths - I would question if she is only 'considering' HL Maths - her target for Medicine might be a reach. Your sister would require probably 3 A1s and 3 A2s from the 6 subjects outside of Maths to get the points for Medicine (570 points). Most of the people I know who went on to do medicine did exceptionally well in Maths (Medicine students tend to have an aptitude for science and maths subjects - including Applied Maths). The last student I know who went to do medicine from my school got A1s in Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (got a total of 575 points). This year the only student who got enough points to do medicine (although she has chosen a different career path) - got A1s in Maths, Applied Maths and Chemistry and A2s in Biology and Ag. Science (585 points with the Maths bonus).

Finally - you don't get the points for Medicine wothout working you ass off - irrespective of the subjects you pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks for all the replies. She still hasn't made up her mind so she's going to sit in on both classes to see how they work out for her.
    Not a bad idea at all if she has that option.

Advertisement