Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting tech.

Options
  • 25-08-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

OK, this is a bit of an unusual idea and I will probably get some flak for it but here it goes.
    Some years ago I used a pump action shotgun to shoot an old iMac computer to bits, filmed it and put it up on Youtube.
    Lately it is getting a lot of hits and when talking to a few people a while ago the suggestion was made to gather up a bunch of tech devices (laptops, monitors, smartphones etc.) take shots at them with a variety of firearms, film the lot and put it up on a special YouTube channel. An even better idea was to organise a charity fundraising event where people could take shots at a bunch of tech devices.
    The idea was discussed with a few people and received with enthusiasm. We even have the editor of an Irish technology publication who is very eager to participate.
    However I want to do this safely & legally so the best option seems to me to use an outdoor range and I want to approach a few of the outdoor ranges across Ireland to see who is willing & interested in hosting this.
    Beside some feedback on the overal idea of such an event can people here maybe recommend ranges that I should talk to or maybe even make an introduction?

Thanks, E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Highly doubt any range would be involved in that. Hard enough to keep their hwads above water without the guards being on their back for letting people shoot laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

What about the e-voting machines? It would be some way to have a use for them seeing as the cost over €54m:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

But would that actually be illegal?

slim223 wrote: »
    What about the e-voting machines? It would be some way to have a use for them seeing as the cost over €54m:P

Now there is an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Sounds like a pointless and silly exercise. Why shoot up stuff just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

mayhem# wrote: »
    But would that actually be illegal?
    Yes.

Target shooting outside an authorised range is illegal. So no point filming yourself committing an offence.

As for shooting on a range, in the range SI622/2011 they set out what can and cannot be used for shooting at in terms of a target. Not specifically mentioned items, just whether it's paper, or metal and the requirements for each. I'd have a read of that before doing anymore as i highly doubt any range would allow such shooting to take place on it for not only the fear of appearances but that it might be against the range SI and hence illegal too.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sounds like a pointless and silly exercise. Why shoot up stuff just for the sake of it.

Well see, that's the great thing of it being a voluntary thing. If you don't like it you don't have to participate...

Cass wrote: »
    Yes.

Target shooting outside an authorised range is illegal. So no point filming yourself committing an offence.

As for shooting on a range, in the range SI622/2011 they set out what can and cannot be used for shooting at in terms of a target. Not specifically mentioned items, just whether it's paper, or metal and the requirements for each. I'd have a read of that before doing anymore as i highly doubt any range would allow such shooting to take place on it for not only the fear of appearances but that it might be against the range SI and hence illegal too.

Cass, as I stated in the orginal post to make it legal & safe I want to use a shooting range for this, Never suggested doing it outside one.
    I will contact a few ranges and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I think what was trying to b put across to you was even doe your on a legal range there are certain rules which govern what materials can be used for targets.

I think what was trying to b put across to you was even doe your on a legal range there are certain rules which govern what materials can be used for targets.

Well yes, I understood that. That is specifically why I was looking for recommendation or introductions to ranges...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Hmm me like.

Also blow some s**t up with tanarite while ur fe*kin at it :D

Advertisement