Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with Alcohol

Options
  • 25-08-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried and tested recipes for using up the dusty bottles of spirits that somehow accumulate at the back of the cupboard? I have a few bottles of whiskey, brandy, cognac and a rose wine that I'd like to put to use.

I'm planning on making whiskey fudge brownies and marinading chicken in ginger, soy and whiskey but would love to hear any other suggestions.

I recently used up some port making a Pheasant and Mushroom Ragout in a Port and Cream Sauce, which was incredible.

154dklu.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Amaretto goes really well in hot chocolate (as do many other spirits).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I do small joints of back bacon (usually from Lidl or Aldi) with a rub made from equal parts of English mustard and honey with a drop of cooking oil and a good splash of whiskey (Jack Daniels is very nice with it) and a few pinches of ground cloves, just score the fat in a criss-cross design and rub the fat and the sides of the meat with this mixture, bake at 180-200 for 50 minutes to an hour, it's lovely cold for sandwiches too

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Whiskey sauce goes well with steak and roast pork tenderloin. I deglaze the pan with stock, add whiskey and cook off alcohol, then salt, pepper and a knob of butter. You can also add some cream and peppercorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I did prawns a while back with a glaze of limes, brown sugar and Jack Daniels (might actually have been Jim Beam). They were a massive hit. There was probably more in the recipe, so I'll dig it out and post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Vodka penne. Surprisingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I did prawns a while back with a glaze of limes, brown sugar and Jack Daniels (might actually have been Jim Beam). They were a massive hit. There was probably more in the recipe, so I'll dig it out and post it later.

Sounds great, and I have a bag of big fat prawns in the freezer crying out for some attention.

Advertisement