Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Night Vale

Options
  • 25-08-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone else in Ireland listen to this? It's a funny/creepy podcast that presents itself as the community radio of a strange town in the middle of a desert in America. The humour kind of reminds me of Portal and the stories have a Lovecraftian/Twilight Zone kind of vibe. Pretty cool. It's available on iTunes and I defo think it's worth checking out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've only started listening to it over the past few weeks & I'm becoming a big fan. I'm 18 episodes in and raving about it to anyone that'll listen long enough (including my poor mother). I'm usually a huge wimp when it comes to anything creepy but I just love WTNV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Just set it to download coincidentally and really looking forward to giving it a listen. My kind of thing tbh. Glad to hear such good things about it. Will add more to this discussion when Ive actually experienced it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've recently started listening to this and I love it.

It's funny, creepy and very well written. It's like poetry at times.

I can see myself becoming unhealthily obsessed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I listened to the first 15 episodes and enjoyed the weirdness. The only problem is I always fall asleep before the end.

His voice is dangerously soothing alright.

• Advertisement

Anyone going to the live show in the Sugar Club in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Electric Red

Yes I am, cannot wait. I've been into WTNV for a while now and never thought they would come over. Going to Dara O Brian the night after too, so a quality weekend in store!

Fantastic! I had the pleasure of meeting Cecil and Meg Bashwiner at their show at the Edinburgh Fringe and they are lovely. Cecil said Dublin's the first stop so he'll be "fresh".

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Ah, I wish I could go to the live show but I live in the west & work Saturdays, so there's no way I could make it. :(
    I've fallen really far behind in my listening but I'm going on holidays tomorrow & I've downloaded lots of episodes to listen to on the plane - I'm weirdly excited about it.
    So jealous of you guys heading to the live show, please report back with how brilliant it was. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Listened to the first two and have to say I'm not really taken by the set up....yet.

I'm going to stick with it, and I'm sure I'll change my tune the more the characters are fleshed out. But the show paints a great picture of what's basically Eerie Indiana in my mind!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of scifi / horror radio shows (Dimension X, X minus One), but there are parts of the show when it's trying to be too obscure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm 6 episodes in after seeing this thread only a few days ago and I have to say it's absolutely brilliant.

Short RTE interview with co-writer Jeffrey Cranor about WTNV and their upcoming Dublin shows. Still tickets for the Olympia one I think but as far as I know The Sugar Club is sold out.

Really hoping they bring merch with them. I really want that Spider-Wolves t shirt.

Really hoping they bring merch with them. I really want that Spider-Wolves t shirt.
    They confirmed on facebook they are bringing merch (tshirts and posters only, I think).

I hope everyone in the Olympia had a good time last night. I'm off to the Sugar Club tonight with another boardsie and am really looking forward to it.

I can't wait for tonight, very much looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can't wait for tonight, very much looking forward to this.

Remember to not look at, acknowledge, or speak about the invisible Sugar Club. Which is not there.

I think it's time I confessed something to you all...

I'm Joseph Fink.

I'll be there tonight, with several imposters who might say they're Joseph Fink.

But they are merely interlopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Went to this at the Olympia last night - it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is a great little podcast. I usually listen to Art Bell to get my fix of radio style weirdness, but this will replace that for now. It's only weakness is that it is a little too 'monologue' in style. It's really aping the style of Garrison Keillor in some ways. Is there anything out there that is a little more naturalistic in the way it's performed?

briany wrote: »
    This is a great little podcast. I usually listen to Art Bell to get my fix of radio style weirdness, but this will replace that for now. It's only weakness is that it is a little too 'monologue' in style. It's really aping the style of Garrison Keillor in some ways. Is there anything out there that is a little more naturalistic in the way it's performed?
    Can't help you with your question I'm afraid but I wanted to say how much I enjoy listening to Art too, especially on long late-night trips. The advertisements are fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Can't help you with your question I'm afraid but I wanted to say how much I enjoy listening to Art too, especially on long late-night trips. The advertisements are fantastic!

I like the chancers who call in on Anti-Christ hotline.

Typical call :

Bell : Hello, caller. You're on the Anti-Christ hot line.

Caller : *Trying to sound sinister* Hello, Mr. Bell.

Bell : When did you begin to believe you might be the Anti-Christ?

Caller : Well, many years ago, I was going into a gas station to buy some smokes, and the cashier kinda looked at me funny.

Bell : Well, alrighty then. If that isn't evidence for pure evil, I don't know what is.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

What did folks think of ep 60?

Also hi, I'm new-ish here. Discovered Nightvale in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

Night Vale sounds great.
    I'm excited about listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I only found about the podcast earlier this year, so I missed the last live shows. I've finally caught up to date, just in time to find out that they're coming back to Dublin on 19 September. Tickets on sale June 5.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Autumn413

Definetely attending the Olympia! Unfortunately I don't know many people willing to give the podcast a try and am hoping I can make some friends there, though knowing me it seems unlikely. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Sorry to bump an old thread.

So this is a pod that I've heard a lot about down through the years.

They are coming to the podcast festival so thought I'd jump in at episode 1.

Is there an over-arching plot or is it fairly random?

Stylistically it's very impressive but a bit repetitive for me.

steve_r wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

So this is a pod that I've heard a lot about down through the years.

They are coming to the podcast festival so thought I'd jump in at episode 1.

Is there an over-arching plot or is it fairly random?

Stylistically it's very impressive but a bit repetitive for me.
    There is a general over-arching plot and then several smaller concurrent ones. I've been a big fan for a few years now and I've been to two of the live shows, which are excellent, but I will admit I've fallen away from it in the last few months and I'm not sure if it's become less engaging or if it's just myself being busier than usual.

I'd say definitely give it a few more episodes, it's a great mix of funny and touching and it's gorgeously edited.

Thanks, will keep going so.

That was something that struck me, that the thread was quite old but the podcast was still ongoing and that there had been two live shows in Dublin quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If you skip the weather you'll save yourself about 9 hrs listening time! I binged through it all earlier this year.

• Advertisement

I'm on episode 7 now. The fact that it's quite short means I'm motoring through them quite easily and getting familar with the style.

Quite like the weather actually!

Advertisement