Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this unfair?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I work in a semi-state company. I work in a role for which no direction or other particulars have been decided and thus I've no written contract. I've worked for this company for 3 years in another department but only moved into this particular role in January.

My question is this. I normally work 9am-6pm. There is another person in the office with the same role title as me (and will be on the same contract/pay when we get it) but is just dedicated to a different area. She has recently been allowed change her hours to 8-5. These hours would suit me aswell. In fact everyone in the office works 8-5 and I seem to be the only one doing 9-6.

My supervisor is located in a different building and I have asked to change my hours. She said she will "think about it" which I was a bit taken back by. I should find out this week her decision. I have a feeling it will be a no.

If it's a no, is that fair? I would feel very hard done by if that was the case. Something so simple. My main thought is that I don't want to be treated differently to someone else in my office in the same role!

Would I have a case if I wanted to take it further? I.e. is there a specific equality law that enshrines equality in terms and conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think a lot of supervisors just think that they need to give an impression of authority and busyness. "I'll think about it" may be no more than "I'll get back to you, but I don't want it to seem like I've got nothing to do and I also don't want you to come running to me with every problem, so I'll make you wait a bit".

I think you should just wait and see what she has to say. It's not something to worry about as the answer hasn't been given yet. I don't think that looking at laws and things is appropriate - I doubt that it falls anywhere near equality. However, you could just simply state the other people in the area are following a new standard set of hours so that it by changing your own times, you are better able to conduct business with other staff within the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Elessar wrote: »
    Would I have a case if I wanted to take it further? I.e. is there a specific equality law that enshrines equality in terms and conditions?

Please don't ask questions asking if you have a case. Asking about specific laws is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Elessar wrote: »
    I.e. is there a specific equality law that enshrines equality in terms and conditions?
    Only under certain characteristics e.g. race, religion, gender, age. Beyond that, you have no right to equal treatment. A manager could decide (for example) that only people who wore red shoes in the last month can change their hours. That's a totally arbitrary reason, but they're entitle to do that. A more realistic reason might be that the manager wants a certain number of people to be in the office 5-6, and you've been beaten to the punch

In short, it might be unfair (which is a subjective term - "fair" doesn't mean the same thing to two different people), but objectively, it's not illegal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement