Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent? Advice needed

Options
  • 25-08-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi folks
    looking for a bit of advice on where to look for a room to rent in Dublin.

Want somewhere central enough (say 15 min walk into city centre)

I work two days a week in Marino so must be able to get there reasonably quickly (normally drive)

Other Days of the week i could be anywhere outside Dublin (so would need to be able to get on the M50 within say 15 minutes)

I would love to try Ranelagh or Rathmines but i know it would takes hours in the morning to get to Marino from there.

IFSC is the only other area i have considered

Any advice appreciated!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Wrong forum, and not a bargain.

Why not post in the Regional forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from BA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What about Marino itself or Fairview? Marino is a nice area. Depending on the time of day the M50 is a short spin up the Malahide road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Phisborough would probably be your best opinion. Its only 15/20 mins walk into the city. Its kinda like Rathmines but no Shopping center, massive houses or cinema. Buts its closer to Town than Rathmines. Phisboro has improved a huge amount in the last 5 years. There is more decent shops than ever and its actually really safe. A lot of eastern europeans has gone home and the area is a lot more Irish.

Its beside Drumcondra/Glasnevin so there is a good few parks and nice roads to stroll down. You also have the botanic gardens and Glasnevin Cemetery( strangely nice to walk in). You could also consider Drumcondra but a ton of the rental houses have been sold recently and St. Pats students take up a majority of the accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Word of advice (which you might already know about): finding a room to rent isn't easy. In Dublin, they advertise the room and then lots of people apply. The current housemates let everybody view it, often staging a little interview with you while you are there, and then after everyone has visited they choose their favourite.

So my advice is to choose a rough area, or maybe a couple of areas, and get a few viewings in, maybe 5-6 or so. The more you view, the more likely to you are to be 'the chosen one'!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

+1 for Fairview and Marino. Very close to town, and easy to get to the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What do you need in the area? Drumcondra is a decent area worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 papa_shango

thanks for the advice folks
    would rather stay away from Marino/Fairview as although it would be ideal for work i don't actually want to live around my workplace....
    Never really considered Phisborough -always thought it was a bit rough...but maybe worth checking out if that's not the case
    Drumcondra would be a good option i suppose -- that considered a nice area these days?

What am i looking for?--ideally somewhere i can get to town fairly easily --walk 15-20 mins, maybe luas, bike rental
    --able to get to Marino in say 40 mins----able to be at m50 red cow in about 20 mins (if leave at 8am)(would be heading cork or galway direction)
    --few bars, shops , restaurants maybe
    Something will a Ranelagh /Rathmines sort of vibe to it

Looked at Kilmainham too and Smithfield (but heard some mixed reports about Smithfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the northside I can't think of anywhere with a Ranelagh or Rathmines vibe to it other than Drumcondra, maybe around Fairview or Phibsboro.
    What about somewhere on the Dart line southside?
    Haddington Road area or Ballsbridge? Close to dart stations and walkable to town too.

Advertisement