Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette with a cleaner?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

If there's a better place to post this thread, please let me know.

I'm organising a cleaner for someone and just wondering how it works?

Do you get out of their way and let them get on with it, or do you work along with them or keep am eye on them?

Also, how many hours do you think it'd take to clean a small kitchen, dining/living room, hall, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and 1 en suite?
    I was thinking 3 hours a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Let them get on with it. If you want to know how long it takes then spend the time doing it yourself to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Let them get on with it. If you want to know how long it takes then spend the time doing it yourself to see.

Thanks for the reply.
    I figure a hired cleaner will be a lot quicker than me!
    I suppose you take a risk and just trust them to get on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Addle wrote: »
    Also, how many hours do you think it'd take to clean a small kitchen, dining/living room, hall, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and 1 en suite?
    I was thinking 3 hours a week?
    Do X amount; they'll still take the same amount of time (sometimes less), as opposed to taking their time for 2 hours, and then finishing it up in one.

Wouldn't pay more than €25, though, but some will chance their arm. Ask around, and go by peoples reconsiderations who you know (as opposed to what could be the cleaners mate pretending to be a customer).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will really depend on what you want done - a dust, vacuum and a general once over or do you want the dishes washed, oven scrubbed and tiling grout scrubbed?

Perhaps do a trial of 2-3 hours and see how things go. Make sure how travel time is treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

3 hours sounds short for what you mentioned, 4 would cover it. But start with 3 and see how it goes and you'll quickly see how it goes. Just make out a list of what needs to be done and prioritise it. Some things like cleaning windows don't need to be done every week.

Just leave them to it, you are paying them so they should know what they are doing. No one likes working with someone looking over their shoulder. You'll know after a session or 2 if the quality is what you expect.

€11 an hour is the going rate where I am for someone private, going through a cleaning company is €15 an hour. Rates might be less/more depending on where you live.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Just leave them to it, you are paying them so they should know what they are doing. No one likes working with someone looking over their shoulder.
    It's actually for an elderly relative so I'll try to organise it to co-incide with a time that they're out of the house.

Thanks for all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Are you not supposed to wander around the house naked while the cleaner is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Addle wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I figure a hired cleaner will be a lot quicker than me!
    I suppose you take a risk and just trust them to get on with it?

During the tiger era we got in someone to do the ironing. However they were a recommendation from someone we knew who also had them.

testicle wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to wander around the house naked while the cleaner is there?

I don't think they'd appreciate it in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Domestic cleaning companies start @ 13.50. Private hire 9.50
    For security you are better paying the extra, You hire them direct you are liable if they have an accident.
    3 hours is plenty , have a job spec done and if your spreading it out over 2 calls just have noted what you want done on each day that way the cleaner knows exactly what's expected of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

testicle wrote: »

The terms of the restraining order should make this perfectly clear......:)

Very apt username too......

In terms of helping the OP, I would recommend having the place relatively tidy so that the cleaner can actually clean. When I shared a place we had a cleaner as I never had any intention of cleaning up other people's dirt (I clean my own 1-bed flat), you don't want to be paying someone to stack magazines etc......

Advertisement