Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shenmue Thread

• 25-08-2013 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

I thought a sega thread would be nothing without a shenmue thread. One of the finest games ever made by the legendary Yu Suzuki , Shenmue was so rich in detail, storytelling and its atmosphere was nowhere matched by any other imo in 1999. Of course not all great games gets the justice they deserve, Shenmue has being sitting on a cliffhanger , locked away in the caves and has being long forgotten for well over a decade now. Sitting on perhaps one of the biggest cliffahangers in videogame history , we are all waiting for Sega to allow Yu Suzuki to finish his baby and shows us what happens to Yu Ryo Hazuki Journey.

shenmue.jpg

I wanted to create this thread for shenmue fans like myself and tell stories and relive memories of their time playing Shenmue, and to keep the shenmue flame live and well.

After 12 years still waiting the shenmue fans has never let hopes of dreams die and have made websites, forums post, comments on youtube and videos about their love for the series. Truly Amazing how alot of games are forgotten but only a few can stand the test of time.

Shenmue Full Album

HCG Shenmue Memories

Shenmue Cave may look very dark right now , but as long as do not forget about shenmue , shenmue will never die :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One of my biggest secret shames, I've never played it! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I still don't understand how , Sonic, crazy taxi etc have gotten steam releases yet Shenmue hasn't ???

They would make a nice bundle of cash if they released them on steam at a reasonable price.

Must check if theres any online petitions etc to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

o1s1n wrote: »
    One of my biggest secret shames, I've never played it! :o

YOU CALL YOURSELF A SEGA FAN

GET OUT YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE!!!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I still don't understand how , Sonic, crazy taxi etc have gotten steam releases yet Shenmue hasn't ???

They would make a nice bundle of cash if they released them on steam at a reasonable price.

Must check if theres any online petitions etc to get it done.

ive signed 5 petitions in the space of 3 years to get shenmue 3

nothing happened yet.... i blame this guy

186835-lan_di_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Time has gone on too far for Shenmue 3 to be released now without a complete re-release of Shenmue 1 and 2 . If you got some good sales with Shenmue 1 and 2 via steam there might be some hope of Shenmue 3 .

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

YOU CALL YOURSELF A SEGA FAN

GET OUT YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE!!!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'll start playing it soon, I swear!!! :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll start playing it soon, I swear!!! :pac:

good man xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I remember there were hints a while back from someone from Sega of a HD remake at some point in the future. Would be a great way of getting interest back in the series and potentially a stepping stone to a sequel. At the very least it would be cheap enough for them to give it a once over and release on Steam and the consoles digital stores. I think that's the best we could realistically hope for for the time being.

One potential thing stopping them could be the horrible English voice acting. Any big game release these days (even smaller ones) that have full voice acting usually have half decent actors playing the roles. Don't get me wrong, I think it added to the charm and I guess I was too young originally to notice that it was bad but I think it'd put a lot of modern young gamers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

yeah I heard there was a HD version of Shenmue 2 that is fully completed but theyre waiting for something before they release it for download. for love nor money i can't figure out what theyre waiting for. still my fave game ever created

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

grimm2005 wrote: »
    One potential thing stopping them could be the horrible English voice acting. Any big game release these days (even smaller ones) that have full voice acting usually have half decent actors playing the roles.

Was reading that thinking "But that adds to the charm!!" then...
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think it added to the charm

Master of the Universe

Moved from Sega.

ryo hazuki will never die :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I have a feeling Shenmue is locked into a weird Microsoft contract.

I played it for a bit but never found the time to finish it.
    What sort of hours are we talking to get through it?

urbanledge wrote: »
    I played it for a bit but never found the time to finish it.
    What sort of hours are we talking to get through it?

roughly 20 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

roughly 20 hours

assuming you can stay away from the Lucky Hit stands

assuming you can stay away from the Lucky Hit stands

I blew all my money on those toy machines trying to get all the sonic figure toys :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is probably the busiest this thread has been in some time....
    Maybe we should make O1s1n honourary Mod of the thread!

I was the same with the VF ones, always getting lots of duplicates before completing a set, and usually need to use the Gotcha stands too for the rarer ones.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe we should make O1s1n honourary Mod of the thread!

but but...o1s1n never played shenmue :(

:pac:

I was the same with the VF ones, always getting lots of duplicates before completing a set, and usually need to use the Gotcha stands too for the rarer ones.

Ya i was ages trying to finish VF aswell

never got jacky bryant :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe we should make O1s1n Richy honourary Mod of the thread!

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Rare PC port discovered recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Just got around to playing Shenmue I and II this year, such amazing games. The pace is definitely not for everyone but I feel it added to the experience a lot. Just about teared up at the end of the first one when Ryo was leaving for Hong Kong, walking through the all of the places he knows, with that music playing.

Damn you Lan Di! You will have your come-uppance yet :cool:

• Advertisement

damn you Richy, resurecting this thread and getting my hopes up that there was some sort of announcement.

Suzuki & Cerny do tend to be hanging out together alot.

not to forget sony were asking people what they wanted on ps4 on twitter and the two highest games in votes were yakuza and shenmue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

not to forget sony were asking people what they wanted on ps4 on twitter and the two highest games in votes were yakuza and shenmue

Shenmue on PS4 would be very nice indeed. I'd love if they released a proper retail game rather than a downloadable indie type one, but damn I'd take whatever I could get :)

I'd even take a HD remake of the first 2 at this stage

• Advertisement

1269259657_omg_cat.gif

it has just been confirmed to be a hoax :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Did anybody else hate Shenmue? I persevered most of the way through (until the constant forklift races drove me insane) but I just couldn't deal with it in the end. At it's core the game feels very much like an adventure game which admittedly is one of my least favourite genres.

Oher parts that wrecked my head were badly designed minigames, the back and forth curfew busywork, the daily commute interspersed with loading screens and the poor writing/voice acting.

I'm the biggest Yu Suzuki fan ever and I resent that he pretty much stopped making any good games after Shenmue (aside from VF and Outrun). He could have been knocking out an arcade game every year instead of getting bogged down with two Shenmue games, a Shenmue MMO, mobile phone game etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never hated it but I never enjoyed it, not like friends did.
    I tried playing it but got increasingly annoyed at the pace of the game.
    Beautifully to look at though and it remains a brave experiment to try something different with the format.
    Perhaps David Cage could learn something from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If you have stuck with Shenmue 1 until the end, try the sequel, much faster pace, more action, busier feeling environment and the ability to skip time so you don't have to be waiting around for someone or something at a set time.

I also prefer the Japanese dubbing of the Dreamcast version.

I can understand shenmue not been for everyone. To me shenmue had a ore around it. When you first step outside of ryo house you feel it the moment the game began I dropped the controller and just took a deep breathe and soaked into the universe which is quite rare to happen for me, only other games that had the same impact where metal gear solid, journey, ico and shadow of the colossus.

The pond in the garden felt you could put your hand in and feel the water in your hand , you could see the breeze blowing the leafs from the tree and you could just sense its wonder. Its made for the player to see its detail and without a doubt to me with the current tech we have to this day None have truly captured its detail that makes you feel like you belonged like shenmue.

With all this you make your way into the dojo and what felt like a go cheery life for ryo you witness a brutal murder and the story turns into a sort of detective styled game as you look for evidence to find your father killer.

You cant see ryo fear when he dreams but you can sense his anger, while some of the bullies have sort of a comedic sense to them and the voice acting is horrendous it just adds to its magic for me.

Shenmue 2 just makes everything about the first much more epic.
    its ending is why shenmue fans want shenmue 3 , of what was suppose to have 7 games I believe if any game needs a ending its shenmue.

It has in my opinion the greatest cliffhanger in videogame history and without a ending to it for this long is a tragic tale.

Shenmue is not for everybody but I strongly feel just try to push through it and just get lost in its world, play shenmue 2 at the very least.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

anybody know where to get a cheap DC VGA box? Thinking of playing Shenmue (especially the new Shenmue 1 undub) over the holidays in good quality.

edit: cheaper than this preferably: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dreamcast-VGA-AV-S-VIDEO-HD-HDTV-Box-Improved-Design-/111223782887?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item19e5743de7

1474561_10153564478815694_976206458_n.jpg

Guess i have to watch the VGX now and be let down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

How come people don't demand Phantasy Star 5 this much? It'd have a much broader appeal. Sega should have been making these for every generation of their hardware. No wonder they crashed out of the hardware business without a big name RPG franchise to compete with Sony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How come people don't demand Phantasy Star 5 this much?

I approve of this suggest. And take Rieko Kodama out of the Sega mobile game dungeon and get her to direct it.

So Sega has ended 2013 with this image , could it be shenmue 3 tease for 2014 ?

shemue3.jpg

Most likely just a tease from sumo digital but Given the rapid more so than ever rumours with sony funding shenmue 3 I still dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it legit?

yes , was taken directly from sega facebook

Great Glob Almighty Richie!
    You're a one man life support machine for this thread!
    You're like the mod of this thread at this point!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement