Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public liability insurance

Options
  • 25-08-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

When operating as a soletrader on private land,renting sports equipment to the public for use and offering tuition to the public on land that is not private but council land,while still basing operations on adjacent private land,is it necessary /legal requirement,to have public liability cover?
    Also is it a legal requirement to be Garda vetted if children are being given tuition and rental of said equipment?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Cavitation wrote: »
    When operating as a soletrader on private land,renting sports equipment to the public for use and offering tuition to the public on land that is not private but council land,while still basing operations on adjacent private land,is it necessary /legal requirement,to have public liability cover?
    Also is it a legal requirement to be Garda vetted if children are being given tuition and rental of said equipment?
    Thanks

It's not a legal requirement to have PL cover but if something does happen you, as a sole trader, could lose everything you own.

If you are on council property then the council may insist on you having PL insurance.

Garda clearance to work with kids is a difficult one. When i applied a few years ago, only organisations or companies could apply for it on behalf of employees or volunteers.

I applied, as a sole trader, through Barnados and although they said the same thing, a few months later the clearance cert arrived from them!

If you want one, you could volunteer with an organisation that will apply on your behalf and ask them for a copy of the cert when they get it back - it takes about six months though!

You'll need to know every address you've ever lived at - ever! Nobody tells you that as you move from flat to flat when you're younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ps if you do go for PL insurance try www. Bizbroker.ie they should charge about €200 for €1.3mill cover - the cheapest you'll get in Ireland I believe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cavitation

I have all the cover myself,I am just enquiring about legal status of it ..tis a long story,suffice as to say I'm covered !!!
    Thanks for the response.

Advertisement