Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to customize a rifle

Options
  • 26-08-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

I've done a lot of looking over the last few weeks at different rifles and calibers. And am still not sure what I want. So before I make up my mind what would be a rough estimate to get a light varmint barell fitted to a remmy long action in .270 and stock fitted to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

A custom barrel and fitting is usually around the 8-900 mark I think.
    Stock will come down to what you want. Any ideas on different stocks you like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Barrel and Fitting can be between €600 - €1,000 depending on brand and dimensions of barrel.

Stocks vary too as it depends on whether you buy a pre-made stock or go for a custom built one. Stocks can go from €150 - €600 and all the way to €2,000. Bedding can cost up to €250 extra but is a must for any stock including custom.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Cass wrote: »
    Barrel and Fitting can be between €600 - €1,000 depending on brand and dimensions of barrel.

Stocks vary too as it depends on whether you buy a pre-made stock or go for a custom built one. Stocks can go from €150 - €600 and all the way to €2,000. Bedding can cost up to €250 extra but is a must for any stock including custom.
    Hi Cass, what custom barrel would i get fitted for 600 euro ?
    Sound like a good deal !
    Regards ,Tomcat .

There is a brand called Bergara. They are new and i believe Spanish, but they come in at around the €300 - 350 mark for their light profile model. Allowing for €250 - €300 for fitting it comes it at around €600 (give or take).

I've seen the Bergara barrels and while they look the same i've yet to see one shoot so cannot comment on performance. Just giving options though.

My choice would be Bartlein or Krieger. They run around €400 - €600 per barrel and with fitting are around €700 - €900. So to cover all bases, including fluting which is usually €100 or so, i left the top price at around €1,000.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

There is a brand called Bergara. They are new and i believe Spanish, but they come in at around the €300 - 350 mark for their light profile model. Allowing for €250 - €300 for fitting it comes it at around €600 (give or take).

I've seen the Bergara barrels and while they look the same i've yet to see one shoot so cannot comment on performance. Just giving options though.

My choice would be Bartlein or Krieger. They run around €400 - €600 per barrel and with fitting are around €700 - €900. So to cover all bases, including fluting which is usually €100 or so, i left the top price at around €1,000.
    Hi Cass , Bergara barrels that i shot were poor shooters . Imagine if you took a sako barrel off for a custom Bergara barrel ....the ones i shot were that bad :o.
    Thats a few years ago so maybe they have improved a little .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Not sure what I want just looking at options. Just wondering to myself would it be better to customize the 270 and use it as a dual purpose or to get a 223

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Cass , Bergara barrels that i shot were poor shooters . Imagine if you took a sako barrel off for a custom Bergara barrel ....the ones i shot were that bad :o.
    Thats a few years ago so maybe they have improved a little .
    Regards,Tomcat.
    No idea lad. Never shot one. I tend to give it some years before going near new brands. Let the company iron out imperfections and get some reviews out there. Impartial reviews at that.
    Not sure what I want just looking at options. Just wondering to myself would it be better to customize the 270 and use it as a dual purpose or to get a 223
    Dual purpose? Varminting and deer or hunting & target. You might have said so in the other thread but i've forgotten.

What is your heart set on?
    Is there much of a difference between the ammo prices of a .223 and .270?

I'm in the same boat. I have a .308 but thinking of getting a .223 or similar for varminting. I'll run the .308 this year and see what I think but I know I'll probably get a .223 next year.

Dual purpose? Varminting and deer or hunting & target. You might have said so in the other thread but i've forgotten.

Deer first of all then varminting with the odd bit of plinking aswell

dev110 wrote: »
    What is your heart set on?
    Is there much of a difference between the ammo prices of a .223 and .270?

I'm in the same boat. I have a .308 but thinking of getting a .223 or similar for varminting. I'll run the .308 this year and see what I think but I know I'll probably get a .223 next year.

I will not be getting rid of the deer caliber. 223 Ammo is about half the price of 270 stuff

• Advertisement

I will not be getting rid of the deer caliber. 223 Ammo is about half the price of 270 stuff

Maybe you should try and keep your .270 a lightweight stalking rifle and then let the .223 be your training/varmint rifle.

If you decided to customize your .270 the cost would be roughly 900 for barrel and fitting then we'll just say 500 for a stock. There is 1400 that you would easily buy a complete second hand rifle with scope and mod or a new Remmy and Hawke Sidewinder.

If you decided to customize your .270 the cost would be roughly 900 for barrel and fitting then we'll just say 500 for a stock. There is 1400 that you would easily buy a complete second hand rifle with scope and mod or a new Remmy and Hawke Sidewinder.[/QUOTE]

That is what I am trying to weigh up in my head.

The stalking package I have is lovely and light and would hate to end up with one that is too heavy which is why I was wondering about a light varmint barell

There is a lovely 223 savage in Stakelums for 900 more of a target than a varmint rifel and a little heavy but I'd say it is a dream to shoot.

There is a lovely 223 savage in Stakelums for 900 more of a target than a varmint rifel and a little heavy but I'd say it is a dream to shoot.
    Seen it, and considered buying it a little while ago. Has a Choate stock on it. Heavy barrel, etc. Pig fecking heavy and really only for target work. Even if you changed stocks on it the action and barrel is around the 7-8lb mark. Add another 2-4lb for a new stock so you are still looking at a 10lb minimum rifle.

I shyed away from it for that reason. Not good enough for target work (.223 will never measure up to a .308) and too heavy for a hunter.

I think every varmint rifle has some weight to it. They generally stick a heavier barrel on it as they always seem to fire more shots in a string than you would with a stalking rifle.

Personally I would be looking for a varmint rifle and leave your .270 alone.

Personally I would be looking for a varmint rifle and leave your .270 alone.[/QUOTE]

Which begs my next issue if I do that I will have to upgrade the security ( I am reaching a limit) and more money to do so or get rid of the shotgun not a huge problem for me as I much prefer rifel shooting. Had the shotgun out of the cabinet once in the last 18 months when I got my first rife .

Seen it, and considered buying it a little while ago. Has a Choate stock on it. Heavy barrel, etc. Pig fecking heavy and really only for target work. Even if you changed stocks on it the action and barrel is around the 7-8lb mark. Add another 2-4lb for a new stock so you are still looking at a 10lb minimum rifle.

I shyed away from it for that reason. Not good enough for target work (.223 will never measure up to a .308) and too heavy for a hunter.

Bit of a lump to be lugging around the hills alright

This really will come down to your decision. Like you I hit the 3 gun limit and pretty quick and when I wanted something I had to sell/trade. I sold my .223 for the .308 and now miss the .223. I put in an alarm this year and I can finally get something I like without having to worry about selling something to make room for it.

The options are:

Sell shotgun and buy .223 (partly financed from shotgun)
    Customize .270 into a duel rifle which might make a heavy rifle and may become a pain for stalking (~€1500)
    Buy an alarm and buy .223 or similar (€600 standard alarm + €1500 rifle & scope, total €2100)

Decisions decisions decisions

Thanks lads for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

sorry for hijacking this thread
    i was just wondering anyone know the price
    of a mc millan a5 stock

• Advertisement

I was quoted between €550 - €1,000 when i asked about 3-4 years ago. Never did get a straight answer.

My thoughts. Save your money and buy am E-Tac from edi. Same basic design, same features, and he'll give you a definite price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

badshot wrote: »
    sorry for hijacking this thread
    i was just wondering anyone know the price
    of a mc millan a5 stock

Buddy got one recently think it came in at 750-€800 prefer the GRS Long range range myself for that type of coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I'm with Cass, E-Tac would be my stock of choice. You'll get your definite price but you'll also be able to get it made to your spec if you so wished.

It's been a while since i spoke to Edi, but i'm guessing that for the money an A5 would cost you'd have a stock of the same design and equal/better quality, to your specs with change in your hand.

Decisions decisions decisions

Well lads one decision was made for me yesterday. I am keeping the .270 as it is

Now which .223???

Decisions decisions .

Advertisement