Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscribing

Options
  • 26-08-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.
    I'll get right to it.
    1. I was a subscriber.
    2. I'm currently not a subscriber.
    3. I can well afford the 50 quid or what ever it is personally for the year.
    4. A lot of people can't.
    5. I believe it to be a little over priced.
    6. I don't feel it's worth the 50e.
    Is there talk of this price going down?

It's a lot of money for more PM space and access to sex forums. I'm not exactly sure if the sex forum is to encourage meet ups or what but I don't see why it's limited to subscribers? Can't we talk about sex in other forums too, like AH for example?

If boards was perhaps 20e for the year you'd get an awful lot more people subscribing.

Why not try it and see :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hello.
    I'll get right to it.
    1. I was a subscriber.
    3. I can well afford the 50 quid or what ever it is personally for the year.
    6. I don't feel it's worth the 50e.

It's a lot of money for more PM space and access to sex forums. I'm not exactly sure if the sex forum is to encourage meet ups or what but I don't see why it's limited to subscribers? Can't we talk about sex in other forums too, like AH for example?

If boards was perhaps 20e for the year you'd get an awful lot more people subscribing.

They won't reduce it, I highly doubt they will anyway.
    Yeah €20 would be a great price, also if you subscribe you get access to change your name too I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It's not a 50 euro per year charge to access the S+S forum and have more inbox space/personal avatar/tagline/username change.

It's a donation towards the running and maintenance costs that the site incurs, a way for regular users to pay towards the upkeep of a site they love.

All of the additional benefits are just a bonus or an incentive, but the fifty euro per year isn't a charge for these things.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did you even read the forum while you had access? I'm just asking because your question suggests a gross mis-representation of the S&S forum.

The reason it's limited to Subscribers is for age verification. Back in the day when people actually posted in S&S, credit card payment was assumed to be an option only available to posters aged 18 and over. It was a simple way of making sure everyone was old enough (if not necessarily mature enough! :P ) to discuss certain topics appropriately. I don't think it was ever considered a "perk" in the Subscriber package by anyone who did use it.

You're partly right though. The forum is pretty much redundant at this stage. A lot (not all) of what used to be talked about in there ONLY can now be discussed in tLL, tGC and AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Did you even read the forum while you had access? I'm just asking because your question suggests a gross mis-representation of the S&S forum.

The reason it's limited to Subscribers is for age verification. Back in the day when people actually posted in S&S, credit card payment was assumed to be an option only available to posters aged 18 and over. It was a simple way of making sure everyone was old enough (if not necessarily mature enough! :P ) to discuss certain topics appropriately. I don't think it was ever considered a "perk" in the Subscriber package by anyone who did use it.

You're partly right though. The forum is pretty much redundant at this stage. A lot (not all) of what used to be talked about in there ONLY can now be discussed in tLL, tGC and AH.
    And here was me looking for confirmation that it was a swingers forum.

Can you imagine being the mod of that forum! "I mod the sex....forum"

Eh anyway, I get it's to give something towards boards, but I really need the PM space. I deleted around 900 pms or something ridiculous recently and I'm still around my limit.
    Couldn't this be upped now at this stage. Memory is so cheap nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    It's not a 50 euro per year charge to access the S+S forum and have more inbox space/personal avatar/tagline/username change.

It's a donation towards the running and maintenance costs that the site incurs, a way for regular users to pay towards the upkeep of a site they love.

All of the additional benefits are just a bonus or an incentive, but the fifty euro per year isn't a charge for these things.
    BTW, Did you used to have a different username?
    I've noticed you all of a sudden in AH. :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's only €0.14c per day. I don't want to minimise things, but most people would accidentally drop more than that every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't think it's overpriced tbh. Compared to the amount of time and enjoyment I get out of Boards, I think it's more than worth it.

However, I do think changing the price would make sense. Something along the lines of:
    • Pay €50: Get all the current Subscriber benefits.
    • Pay What You Want €10 < Amount > €50: Get some of the Subscriber benefits, possibly everything except disabling ads.
    • Pay What You Want >€50: Don't know what other incentives they could offer (maybe an exclusive money coloured theme for the new skin? :P) but allow people who want to to contribute a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As others said, I don't think it's too pricey.
    One thing I will say though is, a while back Dav and others had said they planned to update subscriber benefits. They even started threads in here and in the "subscriber only" forums asking for suggestions.
    But it hasn't changed yet and those threads were abandoned without any further feedback.
    So I'm just wondering, have those plans been scrapped or are they still in the pipeline?
    I'll keep subbing anyway but I think it'd be nice to have extra features for subs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't sub for benefits. The no ads thing is handy. I sub because it's a way of giving back for using the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There is a swingers forum. But it's invite only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The minimum period of 1 month for €5 gets you the custom avatar and name change permanently though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

It's really more about supporting the site, which is why I sub.
    Also there is the FCL which puts S&S in the Halpenny place:eek:.
    Cant say any more you'll have to sub to find out more:P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Also there is the FCL which puts S&S in the Halpenny place:eek:.

Shush!!
    Don't want the hoi polloi signing up and invading the place ....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hello.
    I'll get right to it.
    1. I was a subscriber.
    3. I can well afford the 5020 quid or what ever it is personally for the year.
    6. I don't feel it's worth the 5020e.

If boards was perhaps 205e for the year you'd get an awful lot more people subscribing.

Will we see this post in 6 months time? You say you "need" the PM space, but aren't willing to pay €50 a year for it? Will someone who only "wants" the PM space be unwilling to pay €20?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Dont see the need to subscribe for anything other than the name change and avatar which you can do for a fiver whenever ya feel like. Anyone who subscribes more than that is just basically donating to the website or paying to be in with the clique in the first class lounge which is their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

did subscribers always have 4 red stars and 1 silver or is panda drunk?

did subscribers always have 4 red stars and 1 silver or is panda drunk?

They appear to have changed the stars. Everyone now has five stars and they "light up" according to the old rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    They appear to have changed the stars. Everyone now has five stars and they "light up" according to the old rules.

Obligatory it's new and I don't like it comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

MadsL wrote: »
    It's new and I don't like it.
    Looks like most users are missing a star. All 5 stars being there but not all being the same colour is actually hurting my OCD. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MadsL wrote: »

I'm patiently waiting for changes I like not merely tolerate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Some back end work was done yesterday and it's affected the stars. Those new stars were done many moons ago (by Neil when he was still here) and for some reason didn't go live, but it was a "not broken, don't fix" issue so it was left alone. The work done on the web nodes over the last day or so have put them live now, so we're seeing them now. I know Rónán's looking at it now, but I'm not sure when he'll have a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I kinda like them, plus it's a sneaky way to incentivise subscribing....moar stars! :D

Dav wrote: »
    Some back end work was done yesterday and it's affected the stars. Those new stars were done many moons ago (by Neil when he was still here) and for some reason didn't go live, but it was a "not broken, don't fix" issue so it was left alone. The work done on the web nodes over the last day or so have put them live now, so we're seeing them now. I know Rónán's looking at it now, but I'm not sure when he'll have a solution.
    :confused: If it's working, why is a solution needed?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    :confused: If it's working, why is a solution needed?

I'm guessing the 'empty' stars arn't meant to show up?

OSI wrote: »
    I like them, much better suit the new look of the site. Always felt the stars looked out of place since the move to the new skin.

Agreed.
    A solution to stop people bitching over something that has literally no affect on how they use the site.

Agreed.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed.

Agreed.

Pffft, you don't even have the new ones man. :cool:

Begun, the star wars have...

yoda460_796746c.jpg

Psst, press ctrl+F5

28064212 wrote: »
    Psst, press ctrl+F5

****. :o

How the hell did that happen? Everyone but the Catmods had the new ones. :\

• Advertisement

****. :o

How the hell did that happen? Everyone but the Catmods had the new ones. :\
    Browser caching issue. Ctrl+F5 forces all images, stylesheets etc to be freshly downloaded, rather than using the cached versions

Advertisement