Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to UCD

Options
  • 26-08-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am a first year law student from Kerry beginning in UCD. I am thinking of staying with family in Athlone for the first few weeks as I am finding it impossible to find a place . I don't know anyone in UCD but I am hoping to find someone when I go up there who is willing to find a place with me. Am I a lunatic to be doing this? Has anyone else successfully done this and not had the social aspect of college destroyed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Hi I am going to commute from Gorey area as Dublin rent prices are kind of crazy and I am worry as well how this is gonna affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm living in Dublin but I had friends who commuted from the South and few from the Athlone direction. They all eventually moved to Dublin. Would strongly recommend you try find a place in Dublin for no other reason than you don't have to face the commute home. The cost of the commute would quickly equate to sharing a place with someone, in fact I'd say living in Dublin would almost be cheaper (Or at least very negligible in the difference)

That said it won't have a huge social impact but you'll probably be less likely to go to evening / night events which are a major part of college in itself (Again, not the be all and end all but certainly something you don't want to miss too much of)

If it was me, for the time and effort saved alone, I'd try move to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

ironclaw wrote: »
    The cost of the commute would quickly equate to sharing a place with someone, in fact I'd say living in Dublin would almost be cheaper (Or at least very negligible in the difference)

It's not even close to be honest in my experience. I tried living in Dublin for semester 1 first year and I was almost broke. After I started commuting the next two and a half years I saved a couple of grand on it

Advertisement