Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion re moderation

Options
  • 26-08-2013 4:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

Excuse me if you already do this, but it occurs to me with your ever expanding diaspora, and the expansiveness of the anglosphere, it might be worthwhile using this as an opportunity for you to use moderators who are in different time zones, particularly for busy fora.

Just a thought, not a criticism.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We have quite a few mods, and even some admins, who are not in Ireland. However geographical location generally won't be a significant factor when appointing a mod. If someone's right for the job then that's more important, but if it came down to a straight fight between two equal candidates there is the possibility that being online when most aren't could sway the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Zaph wrote: »
    We have quite a few mods, and even some admins, who are not in Ireland. However geographical location generally won't be a significant factor when appointing a mod. If someone's right for the job then that's more important, but if it came down to a straight fight between two equal candidates there is the possibility that being online when most aren't could sway the vote.

It was just something I thought of after reading about a thread in AH that went on in the middle of the night Euro time , like the KPMG thread did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm on extended temporary stay across the pond about 8 times zones west of ye, and yes, I am sometimes the only one awake modding the often crazy Politics forums. Then again, it's only a quarter past 5AM here on the Pacific coast, and several mods are up during the wee hours, both home and overseas, making me wonder if some of us ever sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm pretty sure the KPMG story broke late on a Friday afternoon.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Truth is mods, regardless of what time zone they are in, are online at all kinds of times of the day and night. Many seem omnipresent. :)

Its an interesting suggestion, but I think it would be hard to put in place, for a issue that doesn't seem to be causing any real problems.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 Rereg 104

Mods do a good job guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know a few mods are in Oz and China/Asia and some in USA/Canada. but the main body of the posters on the site are in Ireland or close, and so are the mods.
    There's always someone awake but you can't rely on every forum having an active mod at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Even if mods were in different time zones to cover 24 hours of the day Irish time that doesn't ensure that the mods will be around to cover 24 hours. Unless their put on shifts and then its a job.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Certain forums can get very busy at certain times - that's particularly the case with some of the Sports forums when big matches or events are on. The larger forums tend to have an AFK thread in the relevant mods forum. Alternatively mods may PM the CMods if they know they will be away - that way we can try and get some cover from the existing mod team or failing that the CMods. Even then though there will be times when the mods are simply not around. That's not a big issue really though - it rarely matters if something is left unchecked for a few hours

Advertisement