Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Street area of Waterford

Options
  • 26-08-2013 6:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey Waterfordians,

What is the Anne Street area of Waterford like? is it decent or rough?

What kind of area in Dublin would you compare it to and is it fairly central in terms of restaurants, pubs, supermarkets etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I would compare it to inner city Warsaw. Mowisz Polski ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

It's inner city, but not great side of the town. There are one or two pubs but they are relatively remote to the rest of the town but plenty of shops nearby, built specifically to accommodate that quarter and the vast majority are owned and run for the eastern european majority that are concentrated there.
    It's slightly cut off in some ways but it's never more than a five or ten minute walk from the heart of the city where there is a livelier atmosphere, it also seems much darker as the buildings are piled so closely together and don't allow for much light at street level. I don't know it well enough for reference but think Thomas Street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

kraggy wrote: »
    Hey Waterfordians,

What kind of area in Dublin would you compare it to and is it fairly central in terms of restaurants, pubs, supermarkets etc?

its a bit high density for me, try somewhere else near a busier street would be my advice. if you want city centre, i would prfer the apts down by adelphi quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Hey Waterfordians,

I would avoid it if I were you. I would not risk walking in that area at night myself. You could easily find better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Street view on googlemaps does a fairly good job of giving you an idea about the area if you take a look.
    Hey Waterfordians,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey. Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah, street view was the first thing I did but I just wanted to get an opinion from the horses mouth. That's s very valid point about the density if buildings blocking light at street level. Never thought of that.

Just one more question. Which streets would be the centre for shopping and which would have a few pubs and restaurants?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I would compare it to inner city Warsaw. Mowisz Polski ?
    BBM77 wrote: »
    I would avoid it if I were you. I would not risk walking in that area at night myself. You could easily find better.

Definitely. Only live about two seconds from there and won't walk down to Aldi after a certain time, that street is like a magnet for weirdos (foreign and Irish)

Only yesterday there were two people walking out in front of traffic they were that gone on something or other ( and this was only about 3 o clock)... The complex I'm in is pretty quiet in itself, but at night the noise from the street is pretty scary and I wouldn't really go out at night at all. If I get the chance I will move from this side of town, it really isn't safe, it's not terrible during the day but you still have to have your wits about you sometimes. I have been hassled during the day aswell as night on that part of town, specifically that street/ Penrose Lane and the little ally off of it.

TLDR; Don't move here, it isn't that safe, and you'll be surrounded by weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

the main shopping thoroughfare is pedestrianized and extends outward from Rice sq (see Patrick st/O'Connell st google maps) from the town centre to Arundel Square and high street areas and meanders upward through Michael street and the Johns st areas, where most of the pubs/restaurants are located.
    The historic city centre and the french quarter are east of that and run perpendicular to the quays. (museums/restaurants/city hall etc)
    Further east of that toward the public park and marina has more residential development and provides plenty of accommodation like Adelphi quay and Canada sq areas. It's about the same distance to the City centre as from Anne Street, just on opposite sides of the town.

Advertisement