Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to see whats possible with my budget (new build)

Options
  • 26-08-2013 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, am thinking of either buying a computer from a store (pcworld) or building one myself, and I wanted to see what could be amde with my budget so that I can compare it to what I can buy in pcworld.

1. What is your budget? [€200]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet] (games: minecraft)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [DVD Drive/Case]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [~~~~~]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1440x900] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [No exact date has been disclosed]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [no]

The computer that im trying to beat with this built is:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-K5130UK006S-Desktop-PC/315445/307

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

That PCworld pc is quite hard to beat because it has the OS

Not so familiar with requirements of minecraft but wouldn't you need a graphics card also? if so, a cheap low power graphics card from ebay would do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tosty55

Jonny7 wrote: »
    That PCworld pc is quite hard to beat because it has the OS

Not so familiar with requirements of minecraft but wouldn't you need a graphics card also? if so, a cheap low power graphics card from ebay would do the trick

Yea the OS is what makes the custom built pc expensive.

Minecraft requirements:

http://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

It will be tough enough for the lads to get you a build at the price, but im sure they are up to the challenge. As for the OS, Win7 is pretty cheap here: http://www.pcfritz.de/software/betriebssystem/windows-7-professional/10264/windows-7-professional-64-bit

Or you could do what I did and just download it, use your 3 months trial, save during that period, then buy a serial to activate it.

segasega wrote: »
    It will be tough enough for the lads to get you a build at the price, but im sure they are up to the challenge. As for the OS, Win7 is pretty cheap here: http://www.pcfritz.de/software/betriebssystem/windows-7-professional/10264/windows-7-professional-64-bit

Or you could do what I did and just download it, use your 3 months trial, save during that period, then buy a serial to activate it.

Doesn't look like it can be done - PC comes to approx 190 unbuilt without Windows 7/8

The PC word pc is cheaper, throw in a cheap low power graphics card and should be fine for minecraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Extra 2Gb ram + 2nd hand card on adverts/ebay (gt640 or 6670 type) and you're sorted.

• Advertisement

Extra 2Gb ram + 2nd hand card on adverts/ebay (gt640 or 6670 type) and you're sorted.

Yea, probably the route that ill take, thanks

Just something I want to clarify, my brother has a computer and he can run minecraft on the highest settings perfectly.

His specs are:

Cpu: pentium D @ 2.80ghz
    Gpu: Nvidia GeForce 8500 gt (fatal1ty)
    Ram: 2gb
    Windows: win7 ultimate 64bit

Im guessing its the graphics card thats allowing that, because everything else on there looks to be older than that of the pcworld computer (?)

edit

Its a p5Lp-Le rev 1.04 motherboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Just to let you know I have a 6670 for sale on adverts in my ads if your going that route :) Only used for about 20-30 hours as i mainly use my laptop and already upgraded to a 7950

Be very hard to beat the price of that pc you already listed considering it already has windows

Tosty55 wrote: »
    Just something I want to clarify, my brother has a computer and he can run minecraft on the highest settings perfectly.

His specs are:

Cpu: pentium D @ 2.80ghz
    Gpu: Nvidia GeForce 8500 gt (fatal1ty)
    Ram: 2gb
    Windows: win7 ultimate 64bit

Im guessing its the graphics card thats allowing that, because everything else on there looks to be older than that of the pcworld computer (?)

edit

Its a p5Lp-Le rev 1.04 motherboard...

I advised you to get a Pentium D 945, an extra gig of ram and a 6670 for your old machine on the other thread, shouldn't cost more than 60-70 euro (Pd 945 - 20 euro, 1gb ram, 10-15 euro, 6670 - 30-40 euro) and it would run Minecraft better than this new machine without a graphics upgrade. Although this PC just a 6670 added would be infinitely faster, but you're spending 220-230 then. Incidentally, a Pentium D 945 is far faster than an 820 (your brothers CPU), and a 6670 is far faster than an 8500GT. There is a reason I advised those upgrades, it's dirt cheap, and it suits what you wanted: playing Minecraft. If you only wanted to match your brothers specs, I already told you I can give you a free Pentium D 820, a gig of DDR2 would cost a tenner, and an 8500Gt at this stage isn't worth much more than that, so if you're looking to emulate your brothers experience, 20-30 euro would cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd save some more money and build a way better PC than the one from PC world.

• Advertisement

I advised you to get a Pentium D 945, an extra gig of ram and a 6670 for your old machine on the other thread, shouldn't cost more than 60-70 euro (Pd 945 - 20 euro, 1gb ram, 10-15 euro, 6670 - 30-40 euro) and it would run Minecraft better than this new machine without a graphics upgrade. Although this PC just a 6670 added would be infinitely faster, but you're spending 220-230 then. Incidentally, a Pentium D 945 is far faster than an 820 (your brothers CPU), and a 6670 is far faster than an 8500GT. There is a reason I advised those upgrades, it's dirt cheap, and it suits what you wanted: playing Minecraft. If you only wanted to match your brothers specs, I already told you I can give you a free Pentium D 820, a gig of DDR2 would cost a tenner, and an 8500Gt at this stage isn't worth much more than that, so if you're looking to emulate your brothers experience, 20-30 euro would cover it

The reason I mention my brothers pc is to hear wheter it is better with its specs than the pcworld computer, I understand that it would be cheaper to add the few upgrades to my existing computer, but im guessing they wouldnt last long, and the pcworld one might be more future proof.

The reason I mention my brothers pc is to hear wheter it is better with its specs than the pcworld computer, I understand that it would be cheaper to add the few upgrades to my existing computer, but im guessing they wouldnt last long, and the pcworld one might be more future proof.

That Celeron proc in the new PC is about 2 or 3 times faster than the old Pentium D dual-core

The 8500GT is ancient - a 6670 would blow it away

Actually you'd be able to play most modern games on low to medium (GTA 4 and BF3 might struggle a bit)

I'd save some more money and build a way better PC than the one from PC world.

I don't think there's any point though when he's just playing Minecraft. The G1610 is actually pretty fast.

The PC itself is better than I expected, I can't remember the mobo model but it's decent, and the PSU is 300w with 26a on the 12v, which is fine for a 7770 or 7790 addition without having to upgrade the PSU.

I don't think there's any point though when he's just playing Minecraft. The G1610 is actually pretty fast.

The PC itself is better than I expected, I can't remember the mobo model but it's decent, and the PSU is 300w with 26a on the 12v, which is fine for a 7770 or 7790 addition without having to upgrade the PSU.

Alright, so I am going for the pcworld computer, hopefully they keep the price down and the stocks up.

Once I get it I'll let you know how it goes maybe with some pictures.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    That Celeron proc in the new PC is about 2 or 3 times faster than the old Pentium D dual-core

The 8500GT is ancient - a 6670 would blow it away

Actually you'd be able to play most modern games on low to medium (GTA 4 and BF3 might struggle a bit)

I tested my 6670 for a few hours and it does indeed run most games at around medium settings(over 30fps). Games like Dead Space 3, Metro 2033, BF3, Grid, Civ 5 and Skyrim.

Just as a bit of info for the OP as it is quite a capable card for gaming should you wish to eventuually decide to upgrade to it. And it is one of the most powerful cards to fit in your new machine from the off ass it doesnt need a 6 pin power connector which your PSU wouldnt have :)

Not exactly, the 7750 doesn't need a 6-pin either, and is much better.

It's not so much a big deal that the PSU doesn't have a six-pin, as cards come with adapters anyway, and the PSU should be OK up to about 7790 class.

Not exactly, the 7750 doesn't need a 6-pin either, and is much better.

It's not so much a big deal that the PSU doesn't have a six-pin, as cards come with adapters anyway, and the PSU should be OK up to about 7790 class.

Guess I learn something new everyday :)

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Guess I learn something new everyday :)

I learn something new every time one of ye post something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... who thinks Tosty55 should goto www.humblebundle.com and buy the top six games for €2 ? I'm thinking at least Medal of Honour should work on his new system?

the_syco wrote: »
    So... who thinks Tosty55 should goto www.humblebundle.com and buy the top six games for €2 ? I'm thinking at least Medal of Honour should work on his new system?

Wow, humblebundle... :eek:

• Advertisement

Wow, humblebundle... :eek:

And there goes minecraft being the only game the guy plays :P

If you opt for a 6670 or something similar it will play all those games on med/ high settings

Depends. If he's playing at 1280x800, it will give a respectable performance. If he has a 1080p monitor, the 6670 will feel some serious pain.

I have a G1610 and 6670 here beside me. I'll test them out tomorrow and let you know.

Depends. If he's playing at 1280x800, it will give a respectable performance. If he has a 1080p monitor, the 6670 will feel some serious pain.

I have a G1610 and 6670 here beside me. I'll test them out tomorrow and let you know.

Built my nephew a Pc and it has a 6670 inside it. Running all smooth at 1080p at about 30-40 fps on med/high. Basically once your not looking for ultra these games will run pretty ok

Sorry guys, wont be going to pcworld anytime soon it turns out, hopefully they still have that machine once I find the time to get there.

They do a courier delivery for €15 if your interested. They set it up and take the empty boxes away wityh them if you want. But if moneys tight im sure a phone call before you leave would be no harm to check they still have it in stock?

Advertisement