If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Home Cinema (Surround Sound) DVD player, Sony Bravia TV and WD Media Player

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have got all the above in the title. I am happy with the quality of the system but for 1 problem which I cant quite figure out. The surround sound dvd player is connected to the TV via composite cable (red, yellow, white) and works perfectly when playing DVDs and USB sticks. My WD media player works perfectly with the TV also, I use it to watch Netflix and Youtube. However, the media player and the surround sound system don't pick each other up, they are both connected to the TV but not to each other. So when I watch anything on the media player it just uses the TV speakers, which are not a patch on my home cinema speakers obviously, and I lose a bit of the experience. They don't even have the same connections. Is there any way around this or is there a bit of kit I can buy to enable this?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

bmwguy wrote: »
    Hi, I have got all the above in the title. I am happy with the quality of the system but for 1 problem which I cant quite figure out. The surround sound dvd player is connected to the TV via composite cable (red, yellow, white) and works perfectly when playing DVDs and USB sticks. My WD media player works perfectly with the TV also, I use it to watch Netflix and Youtube. However, the media player and the surround sound system don't pick each other up, they are both connected to the TV but not to each other. So when I watch anything on the media player it just uses the TV speakers, which are not a patch on my home cinema speakers obviously, and I lose a bit of the experience. They don't even have the same connections. Is there any way around this or is there a bit of kit I can buy to enable this?
    Hi BMW,

Hopefully there will be a nice simple solution for you.

Would you have a model number for the Philips system?  Also the model of the media player too.

Cheers.
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hi BMW,

Hopefully there will be a nice simple solution for you.

Would you have a model number for the Philips system?  Also the model of the media player too.

Cheers.
    Chris
    Thanks Kenny, I meant to get it last night but forgot, I will get it tonight and get back to you. Is there such a thing as a HD/Composite adapter cable? I think thats what will work for me. I can connect my UPC box to surround sound but thats because they both have composite connections, something the media box is lacking. I will get back to you tomorrow with model numbers anyway

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks Kenny, I meant to get it last night but forgot, I will get it tonight and get back to you. Is there such a thing as a HD/Composite adapter cable? I think thats what will work for me. I can connect my UPC box to surround sound but thats because they both have composite connections, something the media box is lacking. I will get back to you tomorrow with model numbers anyway
    Hi again,

Thanks for getting back to me.

That'll be great.  Can then check the connections on the Philips to see if there is an easier way to get the sound from the media player to it.

There is some converters you can get but to be honest they're terrible!  Hopefully there will be an easier and better way :)

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hi Kenny, I have the Philips HTS3020 Home Theatre System, here is a link to it

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HTS3020/05&scy=gb&slg=en

I think the sound is actually great from this device

The media player is the WD TV live, again a link is here:

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

The only ports in common between the two are USB ports.

Hopefully something can be achieved to connect the 2 devices, or maybe something needs to be changed at low cost!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.