Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to buy for a 5 years old girl?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

so far considered Leappad2, innotab 2 and nintendo 3ds
    Which of the above three would be more suitable for 5 years old? or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it depends on the child and what she us used to.
    Mine thinks the leappad and innotab are for babies but she is used to playing with our tablets.
    SHe has no interest in the DS yet.
    WHat does she want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would get her a second hand I pad or tablet before any of those kids games.

The whole family can use it, it is much more vetsatile and she will probably be using one in school in the next few years instead of text books. The children's tablets date very quickly and are just for children, so she will grow out of it very quickly. I know a 6 year old who got one for Christmas and she hasn't touched it in months

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

bought her bratz laptop, has 100 games, learning ones but the screen is too small. she is used to using smartphones and games and browsing and downloading ( a bit) so yes innotab and leappad wont be good idea.
    Liked the idea of tablet or ipad for her. samsung galaxy tab2 or google nexus 7 - 16 GB?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would go with the Nexus 7.
    It is pretty cheap at the moment too.
    DO remember that is is only 5 though so usage needs to be monitored.
    Kids mode and Netflix are what my kids like the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

I didn't read all the posts, apologies.

Santa brought my 5 year old a 3ds, and she ended up in hospital after an epileptic fit. Frightened the daylights out of me! Obviously the epilepsy was there before hand, unknown to me, but the use of 3ds caused her to fit.

The use of the 3d is to be limited, I didn't realise this, and over the Christmas holidays she was on it a long time. So no more 3ds for her, no more 3d anything for her actually.

I'm not for a second insinuating that this will happen to all kids that use a 3ds, but it happened to mine. Just giving my tupence worth :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I didn't read all the posts, apologies.

Santa brought my 5 year old a 3ds, and she ended up in hospital after an epileptic fit. Frightened the daylights out of me! Obviously the epilepsy was there before hand, unknown to me, but the use of 3ds caused her to fit.

The use of the 3d is to be limited, I didn't realise this, and over the Christmas holidays she was on it a long time. So no more 3ds for her, no more 3d anything for her actually.

I'm not for a second insinuating that this will happen to all kids that use a 3ds, but it happened to mine. Just giving my tupence worth :-)

Rare enough event but real all the same. Just a reminder of the importance of keeping a close eye on the kids when using electronic gadgets. No one thinks it will happen to them, but there is no way to tell who is susceptible to seizure till they happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does it have to be electronic? How about some lego? 5 year old me loved lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

pwurple wrote: »
    Does it have to be electronic? How about some lego? 5 year old me loved lego.

Was just about to post LEGO. They now have a range called 'friends' which my niece of a similar ago has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh Please don't get the Friends range of lego. Gender stereotyping gone mad. You can build a hairdresser or a bakery and no alternatives on the pink girly box. Puke. Pure marketing nonsense. Thread here with people (yup me!) complaining about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86306994

Get a mixed box of creative lego. loads more fun!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Bricks-More-5508-Deluxe/dp/B002Q4U72E/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1378225418&sr=1-1&keywords=LEGO

We have a pink box of lego http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/LEGO-Pink-Brick-Box-4625 and she loves it.
    We also have multiple boxes of Duplo and lego that are not pink and they are all loved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement