Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Options.

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

We just moved to new house and house already has HKC securewatch system and eircom phonewatch box in front of house.

I would like to set it up for monitoring, i know i will need to have GSM dialler as we have UPC at home.

Just wondering what are my option, got a quote from eircom and they said that GSM is €149 and 3 year contract for Monitoring for 26€ per month.

Other company wanted to replace my existing alarm all together ( as he said it is too old) and put a new wired free system for 700€ and 180€ per annum for monitoring.

Could i get some advice on what options i have, i would really like to just set it up monitoring on my existing alarm and maybe once off fees for GSM dialler.

if someone can suggest and also on some companies for D 15 area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

no the Alarm is fine . Whoever the installer was just wanted money .
    Have a good think about why you need monitoring or not.

Eircom wanted €149 for the gsm and wanted to tie you to a 3 year contract ?
    That's crazy . Maybe if they gave you the gsm for free and then got you to sign the contract .

I would stay clear of phone watch an look at another company

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You do not need a GSM as the UPC line will work fine.
    The HKC Securewatch is going around a long time but it is suitable for monitoring. There is probably still the digi in place from the Eircom monitoring so that can be used no problem.
    Anyone trying to sell you extra equipment is just looking for an extra sale.
    Any PSA licensed company can set up monitoring for you.Shop around & get quotes and information from at least 3 independent companies & disregard any of them that lie to you.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The HKC Securewatch is going around a long time but it is suitable for monitoring. There is probably still the digi in place from the Eircom monitoring so that can be used no problem.
    Anyone trying to sell you extra equipment is just looking for an extra sale.
    Any PSA licensed company can set up monitoring for you.Shop around & get quotes and information from at least 3 independent companies & disregard any of them that lie to you.

I don't see how this will work ?
    The HKC securewatch digi won't work with UPC as UPC doesn't support text.
    The OP would have to connect the digi to an Eircom line or a GSM gateway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Reading the first post he seemed to be interested in central station monitoring.
    If he wants self monitoring then a GSM will give him text or a generic voice dialler could also connect to his UPC line.

KoolKid wrote: »

Sorry , I just got the impression that you were saying the digi would work with the UPC line .
    Has anyone tried this on the 8/12 for central station monitoring ?

• Advertisement

Evolution1 wrote: »

Sorry , I just got the impression that you were saying the digi would work with the UPC line .

I'm saying this was an Eircom system so it was probably monitored at some stage via a standard phone line. If so that PSTN digi could be used via a UPC line for central station monitoring.

Thats really handy to know ..:D cheers for that

But wouldn't it be just as risky as the gsm so since the line typically runs down the front wall ?
    Even more so with the new horizon boxes .

Not all run down the front wall.
    Mine comes in underground. I still have not come across an attack on a UPC cable.
    There is still the power vulnerability, but I'd still prefer it over GSM as physical tampering is required to cut a UPC line.

Cheaper to cut the UPC line too . And it would more than likely go undetected. Due to the power inside supplying the Line voltage .UPC is down quite a bit for short periods due to maintainence so the panel monitoring the line would cause issues for the end user.

At least with GSM it can be detected when the signal is blocked and once the jam is removed it will try and send the text . Kids are less likely going to have a blocker . They'd have to try it out first too

You may be right, either can be attacked, but I find UPC not targeted the way standard phone lines are. I find UPC down very little TBH.

A standard GSM digi will not detect jamming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Thanks guys for very helpful replies.

In the mean time i have rang few other companies too, they all have quoted me for GSM more than eircom, in some case 180€ dearer. Monitoring is cheaper but all upfront and maintenance is extra.

I am leaning towards phonewatch as they have handy direct debit option and includes yearly maintenance too.

I would advise you to look at their maintenance contracts. Annual maintenance should mean all calls are covered. Eircom limit this to a couple of calls a year. In other words if an engineer doesn't find a fault on an initial visit you will be charged for the call out. Your better off with a contract covering all callouts. It is then in the company's interest to be more efficient in maintaining your system.

deep1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for very helpful replies.

In the mean time i have rang few other companies too, they all have quoted me for GSM more than eircom, in some case 180€ dearer. Monitoring is cheaper but all upfront and maintenance is extra.

I am leaning towards phonewatch as they have handy direct debit option and includes yearly maintenance too.

Honestly I can't recommend them . It's just the name you're paying for .
    with their wireless systems they don't monitor RF jams so god knows what else their ignoring .

You can get setups where the alarm is connected to the phone line and if the line is cut it switches to GSM .
    The new world gsm does this and it's about €150
    You could also have a look at the Eldes GSM range

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Sounds like you don't need any new equipment. You just need to reroute the phoneline into the upc and reprogram the existing digi for a new monitoring company. The digi will work with upc afaik. You should be able to get the labour done for about 100 euro and monitoring for as little as 150 euro per annum with 1 callout, more expensive if you have unlimited callouts of course. If you shop around you will get that. I can guess the guy who tried to trick you into a wirefree system, does his company begin with S by any chance?

If you shop around you will find plenty of company's offering full maintenance contracts for much the same prices.
    TBH I think its a bit of a scam offing annual maintenance covering 2 calls or the like. You will be getting a routine service anyway so that leave you with one other call out for any issues??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

We got the GSM for free. This was a few years ago.
    I think they'd give it free if you pushed, or paid the monitoring fee annually or all three years in one go.

PeteK* wrote: »
    We got the GSM for free. This was a few years ago.
    I think they'd give it free if you pushed, or paid the monitoring fee annually or all three years in one go.

The gsm would be a good option to use as a backup to the UPC line . Power outs ,line maintenence ect .
    their New world gsm has a line input and will switch to gsm if a fault occurs on the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evolution1 wrote: »

UPC even works with the older 6/10. The newer HKC GSM-Q has Jam detect built in, so unlike other GSMs it will register a fault in the alarm log if a Jammer is used.

Advertisement