Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

Options
  • 26-08-2013 11:51am

Hi guys, I decided at the end of 5th year to do my project on the irish army in the Congo in the 1960s, and my teacher said it was a good idea. Did a bit of research over the summer, and have someone to interview who was a soldier over there at the time. Recently saw that the Congo and the secession of Katanga is a case study for the leaving cert. it's not in the course I'll be doing for my leaving cert, but just double checking that its still okay to do the project on this? And I'm guessing I won't be allowed use that case study for any information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Not a bad topic to be fair and that's its not on the course anymore you should have no problems.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Not a bad topic to be fair and that's its not on the course anymore you should have no problems.

Brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hi guys, I decided at the end of 5th year to do my project on the irish army in the Congo in the 1960s, and my teacher said it was a good idea. Did a bit of research over the summer, and have someone to interview who was a soldier over there at the time. Recently saw that the Congo and the secession of Katanga is a case study for the leaving cert. it's not in the course I'll be doing for my leaving cert, but just double checking that its still okay to do the project on this? And I'm guessing I won't be allowed use that case study for any information?
    The Retrteat from Empire topic IS part of the Leaving Cert course - it was the case study topic last year - but it is still part of the course (even if you school is not doing it - each school selects 3 from 11 topics plus the prescribed topic).

The Irish Army in the Congo is part of one of the Case Studies in the Retreat From Empire section and unless you look at a specific part of the role of the Irish Army then it is not a suitable topic. The Case Studies and Key personalities are unsuitable unless you narrow down the topic considerably and focus on something very specific. A possible topic could be 'The Siege of Jadotville' as it would be something specific within the case study - and you would have to find information not covered in the textbook.

Either way - you cannot use the text book for a source. History textbooks are excluded as sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GAALAD96

Hi lads, I'm in LC year now and I'm just looking for a few ideas for my history project! A project possibly that has s lot of sources and easy to research but also can score well?

GAALAD96 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm in LC year now and I'm just looking for a few ideas for my history project! A project possibly that has s lot of sources and easy to research but also can score well?
    You are approaching this from completely the wrong direction. You need to select a topic that you are interested in researching - narrow down the focus of the topic - carry out your research and write your essay.

The purpose of the research project is to teach you how select a topic - learn how to select sources (you don't need 'a lot of sources' - learn how to carry out research and take notes - learn how to write an essay and edit the essay down to the word limit. These skills are important for the rest of your leaving cert history course and for further education.

This might help you -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/research-projects/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 GreenLamp

Hey guys I'm in 6th year at the moment and need a project to do.
    What do people think about the howth gun running.

GreenLamp wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm in 6th year at the moment and need a project to do.
    What do people think about the howth gun running.
    Howth Gun Running would work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 GreenLamp

Howth Gun Running would work.

Sweet I have looked at a few sources their arn't many but theirs a few.
    If anybody has rare pictures or books they could copy and email me I would be very appreciative :):):)

GreenLamp wrote: »
    Sweet I have looked at a few sources their arn't many but theirs a few.
    If anybody has rare pictures or books they could copy and email me I would be very appreciative :):):)
    Just note - you cannot use photographs / drawings etc in your project. You could hand draw a map but that is about all that is allowed.

Advertisement