Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest - Western forces prepare for Military strikes in Syria, strike just hours away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've seen that quote before. But it doesn't change anything.

It's a pretty convincing case made by someone central to the Soviet campaign. Does he confirm that lend-lease "unquestionably helped turned the tide" - well, yes, he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭esteve

Russia won their war against Germany with their own blood and laregly with their own equipment.

Exactly, anywhere from 22,000,000 to 32,000,000 Russians killed during WWII. Im so sick of that absurd claim that'if it weren't for the US we would all be speaking German'...yawn. Let it not be forgotten that the US were also supplying the Nazis prior to entering the war. And let us not forget that WWII left the US in an unprecedented position of power.

This thread is getting ridiculous, any facts stated here are met by realwerido with anti-american claims. Its becoming absurd and tiresome. Im starting to think he may be trolling, as nobody in ther right mind can be that stupid and ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a pretty convincing case made by someone central to the Soviet campaign. Does he confirm that lend-lease "unquestionably helped turned the tide" - well, yes, he does.

Well, the historical record and the facts of the matter are at odds with him.

In addition Zhukov was making these reflections in the 60's. 20 years after the war had ended and in a very different political climate.

alastair wrote: »

You could also question that if the US had not been supplying the Nazis, then perhaps the Soviets would not have needed further supplies. It doesnt really matter, to try and play down the role that the Soviets played in defeating the Nazis is absurd and disrespectful. They were on the eastern front for years in some of the bloodiest, most gruesome battles with huge losses of life. Supplies are all well and good, you need people to use them

esteve wrote: »
    You could also question that if the US had not been supplying the Nazis, then perhaps the Soviets would not have needed further supplies. It doesnt really matter, to try and play down the role that the Soviets played in defeating the Nazis is absurd and disrespectful. They were on the eastern front for years in some of the bloodiest, most gruesome battles with huge losses of life. Supplies are all well and good, you need people to use them

You'd need to take this up with Zhukov - I assume he knew only too well the sacrifice Russians made in fighting that war - and yet he's not afraid to give credit to the impact of lend-lease.

Aye and credit should be given where credit is due, but no serious historian would be in line with the opinion that without lend lease, Russian would not have won the war.

Lend lease certainly helped, there's no doubt about that. But without it, Russia still would have defeated the Germans.

You'd need to take this up with Zhukov - I assume he knew only too well the sacrifice Russians made in fighting that war - and yet he's not afraid to give credit to the impact of lend-lease.

Exactly, to give credit, but not to say that without it Russia would have lost the war against Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

http://rt.com/news/chemical-weapons-rebels-captives-632/

Chemical attack was rebel provocation, former captives say
    Published time: September 10, 2013 03:24
    Edited time: September 10, 2013 08:33 Get short URL

AFP Photo / Louai Abo Al-Jo
    Trends
    Syria unrest
    Tags
    Arms, Army, Conflict, Crime, Health, Opposition, Politics, Religion, Terrorism, War witness
    Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin and Italian journalist Domenico Quiric, both of whom were abducted and held hostage for several months in Syria, said they overheard in an exchange between their captors that rebels were behind the recent chemical attack.

Follow RT's LIVE UPDATES for the latest on Syria

In a number of interviews to European news outlets, the former hostages said they overheard an English-language Skype conversation between their captors and other men which suggested it was rebel forces – not the government - that used chemical weapons on Syria’s civilian population in an August 21 attack near Damascus.

“It is a moral duty to say this. The government of Bashar al-Assad did not use sarin gas or other types of gas in the outskirts of Damascus,” Piccinin said during an interview with Belgium's RTL radio station.

Piccinin stressed that while being held captive, he and fellow prisoner Quirico were secluded from the outside world and had no idea that chemical weapons were deployed. But the conversation which both men overheard suggested that the use of the weapons was a strategic move by the opposition, aimed at getting the West to intervene.

"In this conversation, they said that the gas attack on two neighborhoods of Damascus was launched by the rebels as a provocation to lead the West to intervene militarily,” Quirico told Italy’s La Stampa. "We were unaware of everything that was going on during our detention in Syria, and therefore also with the gas attack in Damascus."

While stating that the rebels most likely exaggerated the accident’s death toll, the Italian journalist stressed that he could not vouch whether “the conversation was based on real facts." However, he said that one of the three people in the alleged conversation identified himself as a Free Syrian Army general, La Stampa reported.

Based on what both men have learned, Peccinin told RTL that it would be “insane and suicidal for the West to support these people.”

“It pains me to say it because I've been a fierce supporter of the Free Syrian Army in its rightful fight for democracy since 2012," Piccinin added.

Quirico seems to agree with Peccini’s assessment.

“I am extremely surprised that the United States could think about intervening, knowing very well how the Syrian revolution has become international jihadism – in other words Al-Qaeda," Quirico said, as quoted by Italy’s Quotidiano Nazionale.

The 62-year-old La Stampa journalist believes that radical Islamic groups operating in Syria to topple Assad “want to create a caliphate and extend it to the entire Middle East and North Africa.”

In a number of news appearances, both Quirico and Piccinin shared stories of how they were subjected to two mock executions, beaten, and starved during their five-month captivity.

"These have been very tough months. We were beaten on a daily basis, we suffered two mock executions," Quirico told reporters upon his arrival in Rome, AFP reported.

"There was sometimes real violence...humiliation, bullying, mock executions...Domenico faced two mock executions, with a revolver," Piccinin told RTL.

Both men were kidnapped in Syria last April by a group of armed men in pickup trucks who were believed to be from Free Syrian Army.

According to Piccinin, the captors soon transferred them over to the Abu Ammar brigade, a rebel group "more bandit than Islamist."

"We were moved around a lot...it was not always the same group that held us, there were very violent groups, very anti-West and some anti-Christian," Piccinin said.

Both men tried to escape twice but their attempts were unsuccessful, prompting the rebel group to punish them for their actions.

The Italian government announced on Sunday that both men had been freed after Rome intensified negotiations with the rebels for the release of the prisoners ahead of an anticipated US strike on Syria.

Another 13 journalists are still believed to be missing in Syria, according to Reporters Without Borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Like it or not, the vast majority of the ME don't want America adding its colours (or colors) into the mix. The vast majority of Middle Eastern nations don't view America with any kind of trust.

The 22 nation Arab league just backed the US action, in fact they are more hawkish than the US admin on the issue

This thread is definitely not a US bash-fest

So where are we on WW2/Iran-coup, or have we reached the genocide of Native-Americans yet ;)

You think I am joking..

• Advertisement

Back on the actual subject

France has proposed a UN resolution based on Russia's proposal - to remove the chemical weapons out of Syria. Not really going to solve or help the situation much but it's something. Ironically I expect the Russians to obstruct again on a technicality, but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Actually, if you leaned a bit of history yourself, you'd find that it was Russia who did the lion's share of fighting against the Germans in WWII. ;)

But Russia was only able to beat back the Germans because of the US Lend-Lease Act... and primarily the Studebaker US6 2.5 ton truck to haul troops, supplies, munitions and able to tow artillery pieces.

I better start writing that history book, then, because everybody from Basil Liddel Hart to David Glanz has been woefully wrong all this time!

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I better start writing that history book, then, because everybody from Basil Liddel Hart to David Glanz has been woefully wrong all this time!
    :pac:
    Again this is going OT, but contextually (ie from my personal pro-US worldview) that while the US lend-lease did significantly aid the Soviet cause and shorten the duration of the war in the East, it was in the main part their own Soviet Generals, tactics and technology that swung the war for them - based on my reading of various German post war military accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

http://rt.com/news/chemical-weapons-rebels-captives-632/

Chemical attack was rebel provocation, former captives say
    Published time: September 10, 2013 03:24
    Edited time: September 10, 2013 08:33 Get short URL

You do realise you are quoting from Kremlin mouthpiece RT??

Once I saw your source, I stopped reading as RT is not an independent CREDIBLE source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

realweirdo wrote: »
    You do realise you are quoting from Kremlin mouthpiece RT??

Once I saw your source, I stopped reading as RT is not an independent CREDIBLE source.
    And the BBC and Sky are?

Funny how the BBC version of the story is incredibly different:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24011595

Gringo180 wrote: »
    And the BBC and Sky are?

Take Sky trash news..

take it off air.

Replace it with colourised English speaking equivalents of Goebbels German specials - have the ex-communist TASS agency run it..

sprinkle approx a dozen murdered journalists per year to make sure everything is in line

et voila - Russia Today ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And the BBC and Sky are?

The BBC have been using an unemployed bloke from Coventry to verify videos coming out of Syria.. he has no experience of anything related to conflict other than having watched 1000's of hours worth of stuff on YouTube

That's true journalism!

The BBC have been using an unemployed bloke from Coventry to verify videos coming out of Syria.. he has no experience of anything related to conflict other than having watched 1000's of hours worth of stuff on YouTube

That's true journalism!

Source?

Source?

Listen to the podcast on this page - http://www.newstalk.ie/War-apps--new-technology-being-used-to-detect-gunfire

It's mentioned by a member of the BBC News team towards the end of the interview.

And the BBC and Sky are?

I'd trust someone like Reuters over most of these channels.

As for RT, it's just predictable....Rebels carried out the attack etc etc...fake interview with fake rebel whose more than likely a paid actor...Then they go to some guy on Skype in America who hates all things American for "analysis", which is usually just a parroting of their own views.
    No-one takes RT seriously....They do a good line in fiction.

A quote from that article
    “I don’t know if any of this is true and I cannot say for sure that it is true because I have no means of confirming the truth of what was said. I don’t know how reliable this information is and cannot confirm the identity of these people. I am in no position to say for sure whether this conversation is based on real fact or just hearsay and I don’t usually call conversations I have heard through a door, true,” Quirico said.

You call that convincing? I notice how RT conveniently left out this caveat.

He also says:
    It is madness to say I knew it wasn’t Assad who used gas,” Quirico added.

In other words, he is saying whoever accused him of saying Assad didn't carry out the attack is mad.

The BBC have been using an unemployed bloke from Coventry to verify videos coming out of Syria

Odd, wonder where Bowden, Sinab, Pannell and others have been all these years - on a set right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

Human Right's Watch have concluded that the Assad regime is the most likely culprit for the attack.
    Syria: Government Likely Culprit in Chemical Attack
    (New York) – Available evidence strongly suggests that Syrian government forces were responsible for chemical weapons attacks on two Damascus suburbs on August 21, 2013.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2013/09/10/syria-government-likely-culprit-chemical-attack

I haven't read through it yet, but here's the report - http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/syria_cw0913_web_0.pdf

Assad agrees to put chemical weapons beyond use

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/syria-accepts-russian-chemical-weapons-proposal-29567800.html

However, Assad agreed last year to have a ceasefire with the opposition, and then broke it after 6 hours.

He agreed to allow UN inspectors inspect site of chemical attack but then blocked them for 5 days while his forces tried to destroy evidence.

He agreed to allow them interview opponents last year and then executed many of these witnesses afterwards.

I don't see Assad being compliant this time around either. Sounds like another attempt to buy more time but not deliver anything meaningful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

The German newspaper Bild am Sonntag is reporting that the German Foreign Intelligence agency intercepted communications that Assad did not order or approve the sarin gas attack on 21 August – the event responsible for the decision by Obama to use a military deterrent. As leader of the country Assad is ultimately responsible for his military’s actions, but there is growing concern that it was not a sanctioned use of chemical weapons.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/09/09/201515/intercepts-caught-assad-rejecting.html

Putin saved Obama’s ass with his proposal, and sent a lifeline to avoid humiliation. Funny sometimes how a random chain of events can have so much meaning. John Kerry makes a blunder on the international stage. The US Congress probably won’t even put up the call for military action to a vote at this point. Putin cashes in on Kerry’s blunder and provides an opportunity that Obama will jump at and ultimately take the lion’s share of credit for. The medial will proclaim Obama a tactical genius by stopping the use of chemical weapons without firing a shot, even though the elimination of chemical weapon will be a long and arduous trudge, and probably unverifiable in the end, and civilians will continue to die in Syria, terrorists will continue to pour in, the region will become less stable, and interest will wane. But it’s all good, as the US can stay out of it for the most part and not provide further assistance to those who hate us. And hopefully other nations will take the lead for once to diminish the human toll and suffering in Syria. Any takers?

A quote from that article

You call that convincing? I notice how RT conveniently left out this caveat.

He also says:

In other words, he is saying whoever accused him of saying Assad didn't carry out the attack is mad.

Did I say anything about convincing?

I simply posted the articles as comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

sprinkle approx a dozen murdered journalists per year to make sure everything is in line

Yeah that's really politically correct....do you have evidence that those journalists were killed by the government or are you just perpetuating your anti-Russian slant that has become obvious throughout this thread and others?

I mean, come on. Many of those deaths you attribute to Putin's evil iron hand were actually caused by crossfire or were murder/kidnap-murders by Chechen extremist, for god's sake.

And thanks, Tony_EH for that defence of Russian involvement in WW2, although it was off topic- then again, you were lured off-topic by the voraciously pro-American realwierdo. I can only assume that that guy is employed in Intel or Dell considering his love of all things American. Not to mention his bizarre, David Cameron style rants where he states that our views on the American government/ it's foreign policy are irrelevant because we use American brand (not American made!) computers and iPhones.

I love those people who come out with ridiculous diarrhoea such as this because it just makes their position look so pathetic and indefensible and in the end helps us.

And regarding the off-topic tangent this thread went off on regarding Soviet involvement in WW2, Stalingrad, Berlin, Leningrad, Moscow, Kursk, Budapest, Seelow Heights etc. were not won by canned pork and boots from lend-lease. They were won by Soviet blood, for Christ's sakes. It's easy for us entitled, peace-generation types to sit back on our armchairs and criticise the greatest defence of a country that ever occurred in the history of mankind, a defence that resulted in millions of death and unquantifiable amounts of destruction and torment.

Nevertheless, Lend-Lease was a factor in the Soviet victory, but it is given far too much credit. Russophobes these days, as during the Cold War, seek to find anything that may seize credit from the Russians for their astounding victory over fascism- a war that they did not ask for. It was a war that was waged in order to exterminate them.

And all our generation does is crap all over their memories. It makes me sick inside.

Now regarding the bizarre pro-American slant of realweirdo. We have a problem with American foreign policy. I use American products etc. because they are made by American people. I don't have a problem with the American people, just with their government and it's behaviour overseas and (occasionally) domestically. I hope that the American people can boycott their sham of a government if it goes ahead with this illegal strike.

Syria has not signed nor ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention. Therefore it under no legal obligation to give up chemical weapons. It's not legally obliged to restrict it's use of chemical weapons because it is not a signatory.

So what guideline should we follow? International law or a speech Obama made some time ago where he made an obscure remark about a "red line" which he later sorta retracted?

But guess what? Some countries don't ratify conventions. The USA has not ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Should we enforce this convention on them even though they don't want to ratify it? It also doesn't recognise the authority of the ICC.

The American government (i'll just use this term from now on to repel voracious pro-Americans) says that if Syria's apparent (not certain) use of chemical weapons goes unpunished, it will create a culture of impunity.

Maybe. But if we fail to defend international laws and norms against warmongering rogue states like America, we will create an even more dangerous and volatile culture of impunity- we will create a world where international law is only a mere scrap of paper rather than guidelines that must be followed by every country in the world, no fricking exceptions.

(And another bit of info about international law- Israel regularly breaks UN resolutions. I believe it has set a record for the most ignored resolutions from the UN. So if the best buddy of the USA does these things then it can hardly claim to be the best defender of international law.)

So let's just hope that Barack "Ear Lingus" Obama and John "The Chin" Kerry get the egg in their faces that they deserve from this crisis. It will serve as a reminder that international law should reign supreme above all else in order for a more just world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Military intervention is now off the table according to sources on capital hill. It is now looking likely that there will be no vote on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Syria has not signed nor ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention. Therefore it under no legal obligation to give up chemical weapons. It's not legally obliged to restrict it's use of chemical weapons because it is not a signatory.

This isn't true. Syria is party to the Geneva Protocol forbidding use of chemical weapons. One big hole in the Geneva Protocol is that it is only focussed on use, not production, stockpiling or transfer of chemical weapons, that was the reason for the CWC. Syria's use of chemical weapons is also a war crime and should Assad not end up at the end of a rope I can imagine a referral to the ICC for this (and other acts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

A Preliminary Analysis of the Nerve Agent Attack of
    August 21, 2013 Against
    Unprotected Civilians in the Suburbs of Damascus, Syria

The Politics and Technology of Weapons of Weapons Systems
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Theodore A. Postol
    Professor of Science, Technology, and National Security Policy

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/world/syria/iraq_syria.pdf

Initial Investigation On Potential Chemical Weapons
    Found In Syria

By: Richard M. Lloyd
    Warhead Technology
    Tesla Laboratory Inc.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/world/syria/Lloyd_warhead.pdf

That's true journalism!

Are you referring to the blogger/journalist "brown moses" Eliot Higgins

Are you referring to the blogger/journalist "brown moses" Eliot Higgins

The unemployed bloke working out of his bedroom with zero qualifications in forensic analysis and no real world experience of investigating events in conflict regions, yes.

The unemployed bloke working out of his bedroom with zero qualifications in forensic analysis and no real world experience of investigating events in conflict regions, yes.

And your credentials are...?

Fair play to the guy - he's found a niche and established a competency no-one else bothered with.

Fair play to the guy - he's found a niche and established a competency no-one else bothered with.

I have nothing against him. I do have something against the fact that the BBC et al are using him to verify videos which end up shaping public opinion.

You honestly see no issue with them availing of the services of an unqualified and inexperienced 'analyst'.. I bet your tune would change if RT were doing the same thing.

Well he is not unemployed anymore as he is being paid for work by crowd sourcing
    He is a blogger who writes interesting blog post about weapons and equipment
    he sees in videos that's about it, and that's all it claims to be
    He verifies a lot of what he sees by chatting with experts and others.

Videos are a source of information

He work is of high quality was been quoted and interviewed by dozens of media
    outlets and organisations, among them the BBC if you actually read his blog(which you clearly have not) you would see he does not have any biases and in the past has exposed both sides wrong doing.
    http://brown-moses.blogspot.ie/
    wiki entry about him
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Higgins

I have nothing against him. I do have something against the fact that the BBC et al are using him to verify videos which end up shaping public opinion.

You honestly see no issue with them availing of the services of an unqualified and inexperienced 'analyst'.. I bet your tune would change if RT were doing the same thing.

As far as I can see the guy is simply identifying weapons based on publicly accessible information, and doesn't have an ideological stake in the conflict - which puts him ahead of RT any day. If he's got the information where others don't, I don't see a problem with journalists calling on his (self-developed) expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd trust someone like Reuters over most of these channels.

As for RT, it's just predictable....Rebels carried out the attack etc etc...fake interview with fake rebel whose more than likely a paid actor...Then they go to some guy on Skype in America who hates all things American for "analysis", which is usually just a parroting of their own views.
    No-one takes RT seriously....They do a good line in fiction.

A bit like Sky, CBS, NBC. All these channels, like some newspapers, have an agenda. I don't think RT is any worse than them when it comes to credibility.
    Just because you don't want to hear something doesn't mean it isn't true.

Rascasse wrote: »
    This isn't true. Syria is party to the Geneva Protocol forbidding use of chemical weapons. One big hole in the Geneva Protocol is that it is only focussed on use, not production, stockpiling or transfer of chemical weapons, that was the reason for the CWC. Syria's use of chemical weapons is also a war crime and should Assad not end up at the end of a rope I can imagine a referral to the ICC for this (and other acts).

Actually what Eggy Baby said IS true. Syria is not a signatory to the CWC.

In addition, the 1925 Geneva Protocol, which was ratified by Syria, doesn't state any illegality about using chemical weapons within one's own borders.

So, if Assad did order CW to be used, or if one of his commanders on the ground did on his own steam, there has been no actual crime committed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

In addition, the 1925 Geneva Protocol, which was ratified by Syria, doesn't state any illegality about using chemical weapons within one's own borders.

So, if Assad did order CW to be used, or if one of his commanders on the ground did on his own steam, there has been no actual crime committed.

Utter nonsense.

I had a conversation last week with a chap whose brother was part of CBRN operations in England. He said that only when chemical weapons are used in warfare by a nation, outside of that country's boarders and against another signatory nation, is it considered absolutely illegal and then only when that country, itself, is a signatory to the chemical weapons act. When an agent is used within the boarders on the using nation, it's not.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of those words. But I have no reason to disbelieve this person I was talking to.

In addition, there have been repeated attempts by the UN (who also consider CS gas as a chemical agent) to get aggressive chemical usage made illegal in all circumstances, including domestic use, but it has been voted against on numerous occasions. Continuously by the US and France.

By that rationale, when Hitler gassed the Jews, no actual crime was committed since it was within his own borders. Having said that, the rest of the world didn't really care about the Jews. They only got annoyed with Hitler when he attacked them.

Leaving aside the question of whether what is happening in Syria today is genocide by Assad, the international response to genocide for at least the last century has always been next to nothing, going back to the Armenian genocide. The most common reaction among western electorates is that its none of our business or else there is no strategic value in getting involved.

The reaction of most of the American electorate seems to be, "what's in it for us?"

bmaxi wrote: »
    A bit like Sky, CBS, NBC. All these channels, like some newspapers, have an agenda. I don't think RT is any worse than them when it comes to credibility.
    Just because you don't want to hear something doesn't mean it isn't true.

Not altogether true...Washington Post - brought down Nixon- hardly an example of towing the government line.
    New York Times published the Pentagon Papers, which helped bring the Vietnam War to a close.
    The Guardian published many wikileaks documents, which was detrimental to US and UK interests.
    The Independent in the UK which publishes Robert Fisk, a major critic of UK foreign policy.
    George Galloway is on Question Time in the UK every couple of weeks and is all over the airways in the UK including the BBC, more so than politicians who are in favour of intervention.
    There are thousands more examples or a platform given to people who oppose UK foreign policy.

I can't imagine RT even criticising Putin. It's just a joke media organisation.

By that rationale, when Hitler gassed the Jews, no actual crime was committed since it was within his own borders.

Leaving aside the adherence to Godwin's Law, Hitler didn't kill the Jews with chemical weapons. He killed them with lethal gas, not weaponised gas. The Nazis used a pesticide called Zyklon B. It was not a chemical weapon. They decided to use a gas that just happened to be particularly good at killing humans.

Secondly, gassing people for the purposes of extermination is different to using chemical weaponry in war, period. Exterminating people with gas confers no strategic advantage upon the perpetrators, except, perhaps, terror.

Your rationale is also unsuitable because the CWC didn't exist during WW2. It was a horrendous moral crime, without a doubt, but a legal crime? It would be much harder to answer this.
    Utter nonsense.

Like I said- it may be a moral crime, but a legal crime?
    The reaction of most of the American electorate seems to be, "what's in it for us?"

Nope. Most would be wary of their government's behaviour post-Iraq, Libya etc. and would distrust intervention.

http://rt.com/op-edge/russia-gay-rights-sochi-945/

Would you like me to find more? Or would you be bothered to do a simple google search and find this sh*t for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Not altogether true...Washington Post - brought down Nixon- hardly an example of towing the government line.
    New York Times published the Pentagon Papers, which helped bring the Vietnam War to a close.
    The Guardian published many wikileaks documents, which was detrimental to US and UK interests.
    The Independent in the UK which publishes Robert Fisk, a major critic of UK foreign policy.
    George Galloway is on Question Time in the UK every couple of weeks and is all over the airways in the UK including the BBC, more so than politicians who are in favour of intervention.
    There are thousands more examples or a platform given to people who oppose UK foreign policy.

I don't recall mentioning the Washington Post or the NY Times or even the Guardian. Nixon was forty years ago when there was a little more morality in the media and investigative journalism was more than who's sleeping with whom.
    Suffice it to say that in today's world the media is about which mogul owns which channel or newspaper and which political party is in hock to them.
    As for George Galloway, I've never really been sure about where he is coming from but he certainly has been a thorn in the flesh of the British establishment. Maybe he's that rare creature, a true Socialist.

bmaxi wrote: »
    I don't recall mentioning the Washington Post or the NY Times or even the Guardian. Nixon was forty years ago when there was a little more morality in the media and investigative journalism was more than who's sleeping with whom.
    Suffice it to say that in today's world the media is about which mogul owns which channel or newspaper and which political party is in hock to them.
    As for George Galloway, I've never really been sure about where he is coming from but he certainly has been a thorn in the flesh of the British establishment. Maybe he's that rare creature, a true Socialist.

George Galloway is basically against everything, he's a troll, a shrill, a guy who lauded Saddam Hussein and was outraged when Saddam was overthrown...Now he thinks Assad is the greatest guy who ever lived and as much as said so on Question Time. Assad can do no wrong and everyone is waiting for him to condemn Assad after the recent chemical attack but I suppose we will be waiting.

Reporters without borders who know a lot more about press independence and freedom than you, rank Russian 142nd in the world, more than 100 places behind the UK and below such countries as Nigerian and Ethopia.

RT are just a direct mouthpiece of the kremlin, there is no balance on that station, it's just unashamed 24/7 pro kremlin propaganda..its a joke...I'm willing to take most sources seriously, but using RT as a source I just immediatley turn off as do most people.

• Advertisement

RT are just a direct mouthpiece of the kremlin, there is no balance on that station, it's just unashamed 24/7 pro kremlin propaganda..its a joke...I'm willing to take most sources seriously, but using RT as a source I just immediatley turn off as do most people.

Did you read the source I supplied you or do you actually give a damn?

Moving on, here's a nice picture which sums up the current situation in Syria:

Steve-Bell-11.09.2013-002.jpg
    George Galloway is basically against everything, he's a troll, a shrill

Much like somebody I know....
    rank Russian 142nd in the world

Much of that report was based on the assumption that Putin murders journalists due to the high death rate for journalists in that country during the Chechen wars.

Just face it, realweirdo, the nice little cosy war in Syria you want ever so much just isn't going to happen.

Advertisement