Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords library moving?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 12:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in the library the other day and the staff said there is talk of moving it into the County Hall on Main St. :eek:

Does anyone know anything about it? Apparently there was something in the local paper, but I don't know which one, and can only find anything official from about 6 months ago here.

I think this would be a terrible move for the library. Parking is already a massive problem in Swords. The library building up at JCs may be old but at least it's easy to access.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It would be disastrous moving it to the County Hall, but I don't think it's a done deal yet.
    According to the piece from 12th August in the North County Leader the move is only being considered. Apparently the lease on the current building at JC's is up for renewal in a couple of years. http://www.northcountyleader.ie/news/swords-library-move-must-be-carefully-considered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ha! Darragh Butler has sure changed his tune.

Thanks for that link - I didn't see it in my trawl this morning. I've mailed all the Swords councillors. None of them has ever responded to any correspondence, so here's hoping for a first time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Goggleyed_gimp

On the plus side, the Savages will defo capitalize on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

very positive move for the library imo. will increase footfall for them and draw ppl to main st too. I will certainly visit it more often if/when it's relocated.

also it'll save the council rent and , as stated already, give the savages room to expand. Win/Win

as long as it's allocated enough space in civic offices.

I wrote to all the Swords councillors last week about the issue and no decision has been made yet. The lease on the current building does not expire until 2017. The council is expanding to have 40 councillors so the building requires renovation for this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

a move looks certain if this is anything to go by.

http://swordstoday.ie/scare-tactics-over-threat-to-swords-library/

Wouldn't mind seeing what venues are under consideration

The lease doesn't expire until 2017, which means they won't be moving for 3 years. There's local elections to contend with before then so I think it's all to play for. 3/5 local Swords councillors didn't even bother to reply to my email about this issue, so sadly they've moved way down my voting preferences.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LonelyBug

rock whore wrote: »
    very positive move for the library imo. will increase footfall for them and draw ppl to main st too. I will certainly visit it more often if/when it's relocated.

also it'll save the council rent and , as stated already, give the savages room to expand. Win/Win

as long as it's allocated enough space in civic offices.

Can I just ask how you think a move to a permanently conjested main street with no available parking will increase footfall?

Advertisement