Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the countryside

• 26-08-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

I'm after moving to a house for the first time and previously we had 3Mb eircom broadband bundle at home. Where I am now the max the line can take is 1Mb and the max I'm getting is 0.8Mb from eircom.

I use the broadband for online gaming and speed is key. Just wondering what broadband people in the countryside are using since eircom is so slow and fiber is all thats on their agenda.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i imagine you have very little choice unless you happen to be near a mobile phone mast with decent speeds.

people don't tend to pay attention to broadband availability when moving house, but (IMHO) it's a service like anything else that needs to be taken into consideration. personally i wouldn't go anywhere near a house that didn't have access to decent broadband, but that's just me. anything with any kind of broadband speed in single figures would be off the table from the get-go.

if you saw my current speed and ping tests you'd really hate me, particularly as a gamer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where I am now the max the line can take is 1Mb and the max I'm getting is 0.8Mb from eircom.
    Tell us where you are located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

his profile says Location: →☼←

which looks to me like he's in the ar$ehole of nowhere! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Fixed wireless access would be your best bet if you can get it
    If you post your general area peeps here can suggest local providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm after moving to a house for the first time and previously we had 3Mb eircom broadband bundle at home. Where I am now the max the line can take is 1Mb and the max I'm getting is 0.8Mb from eircom.

I use the broadband for online gaming and speed is key. Just wondering what broadband people in the countryside are using since eircom is so slow and fiber is all thats on their agenda.

Sorry but that's simply not true, low latency, low jitter and high reliability trumps broadband speed all day everyday for gaming. A stable 1Mbit connection is plenty for online gaming, if you are having problems gaming with it there is something going on rather than it just being inherently not capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

There are alternatives to DSL(Eircom etc) in the forms of fixed wireless and mobile broadband. For fixed wireless a lot will depend on which part of the country you have moved to. These companies generally offer faster speeds in rural areas. Examples of these are Digiweb (Metro), Imagine (WiMax), Ripplecom just to name a few. For mobile broadband it will depend on which mobile operator has good coverage

As for gaming fixed wireless would be much better than mobile broadband. They generally will have higher download allowances than mobile broadband, which is uaually no more than 15GB a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Sorry I thought I had posted a location. I'm in Cavan near the Fermanagh/Leitrim border, outside a town called Ballyconnell.
    Sorry but that's simply not true, low latency, low jitter and high reliability trumps broadband speed all day everyday for gaming. A stable 1Mbit connection is plenty for online gaming, if you are having problems gaming with it there is something going on rather than it just being inherently not capable.

I have not used the connection for gaming at all as I have no console at the minute. Thanks for your input though. My ping is high though (97) and the download is only 0.10 Mbps. Cant see the high ping doing me any favours online.
    cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

There are alternatives to DSL(Eircom etc) in the forms of fixed wireless and mobile broadband. For fixed wireless a lot will depend on which part of the country you have moved to. These companies generally offer faster speeds in rural areas. Examples of these are Digiweb (Metro), Imagine (WiMax), Ripplecom just to name a few. For mobile broadband it will depend on which mobile operator has good coverage

As for gaming fixed wireless would be much better than mobile broadband. They generally will have higher download allowances than mobile broadband, which is uaually no more than 15GB a month

Thats really good information there. Just what I was looking for. Least I can do is check out what I can get elsewhere. Appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Thats really good information there. Just what I was looking for. Least I can do is check out what I can get elsewhere. Appreciate it! :)

Have a look at this to see what WISPs are around that area : http://irelandoffline.org/map/

Find the town in the finder box in the left pane, the red marker should end up on your town.

Then click on Wireless ISPs (you can click any of the coloured areas and get contact details for each WISP)

bealtine wrote: »
    Have a look at this to see what WISPs are around that area : http://irelandoffline.org/map/

Find the town in the finder box in the left pane, the red marker should end up on your town.

Then click on Wireless ISPs (you can click any of the coloured areas and get contact details for each WISP)

Thats brilliant. Thanks for your help! Arden broadband seems to cover our area best. Net1 seems to be kinda sketchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can you see any Antennas/Masts on top of any hills in your area? If you can then you'll have a great chance of getting fixed wireless, similarly if any of your near neighbours have fixed wireless boxes on their roofs, then that's a good indication thatyou may be able to get it. Mobile broadand isn't ideal as the pings are usually high and speeds unstable.

• Advertisement

My next door neighbor has no phone line or broadband as its only his holiday home. Cant seem to see any masts around but I haven't had a chance to look around to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Are you on a contract with eircom? Because, it's costly to get out of it.

I'm currently on a seven day cooling off period which began today.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 msq

Check this map for wireless broadband providers in your area
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/index.html#

Thanks msq, Bealtine Suggested that site earlier and thanks to everyone that replied! :)

Advertisement