Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto or Vancouver?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    I am hoping to move to Canada in the New Year, but i am still undecided about where to head for. Toronto or Vancouver?
    I have been trying to reasearch as much as i can on both areas, i seem to be drawn more to Vancouver, however i have heard that there are more job oppotunities in the Finance support sector in Toronto.

Would love to hear your opinions / experiences on the above so it can help me make up my mind :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I haven't been to either, but am heading to Toronto in 3 weeks.

If I was give a recommendation based on what people have told me about both, it would be Vancouver all the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Van is my favourite city in Canada. I've been back several times, and feel drawn to it. Maybe I'll move there someday? The winters are a bit milder than Toronto, and if you are looking for a fun night out-on-the-town, you can't beat Granville Street in Van.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kildare263

Great, thanks.... i might just go with my instincts so and head for Vancouver!

Can anybody recommend any recruitment agencies they might have used to help them find jobs over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

It is very limiting to consider just two cities.
    Especially Tor and Van where there is such huge competition for jobs.
    Why not check out some of the prarie cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Many more jobs in Toronto than Van though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I hate when anybody asks me this question because it's not comparing like with like, these are two very different cities! The only example I can really give which people may relate, is it's like comparing New York and Boston. Toronto is huge, big buildings, sprawling neighbourhoods, busy busy where as Vancouver is a small beautiful piece of art with a much slower pace of life (Boston in the NY V Boston example) Which do you prefer? 24/7 Major city (NYC, London) or the more chilled relaxed (Boston, Dublin)

Personally I prefer the NYC but that's just me, also keep in mind jobs! Toronto is a huge financial centre so anybody in that field will likely get a job in TO quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Competition for jobs seems to be alot more fierce in toronto, especially the finance sector! I think having experience in ones area is what decides if you sink or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

zweton wrote: »
    Competition for jobs seems to be alot more fierce in toronto, especially the finance sector! I think having experience in ones area is what decides if you sink or swim.
    Read some of these to help with your decision making

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/lmi/publications/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

If you go to Toronto, a good way to get your foot in the door with the big banks is through one of their call centre operations. They are genuinely always looking for staff and you can move your away around the company if you do well. Check out their websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

Kildare263 wrote: »

Can anybody recommend any recruitment agencies they might have used to help them find jobs over there?

I cannot recommend any recruitment agencies as I do not know of any but this website is a popular Canadian one for finding work. My oldest son just got a job today that he applied for a week ago.

Monster.ca

Also try the others on this website......

http://canadianimmigrant.ca/guides/moving-to-canada/canadas-most-popular-job-search-sites

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Mike..

I had the same dilemma, eventually went for Toronto & moving over on the 14th! Can't wait:D

What swayed it for you Mike :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Phonehead wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the NYC but that's just me, also keep in mind jobs! Toronto is a huge financial centre so anybody in that field will likely get a job in TO quicker.
    Tbh, I would go for NYC and Vancouver over the other two :P

I didn't like Toronto, but I love Vancouver. Although it's gonna be a hard time waiting for summer to come around again..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Tbh, I would go for NYC and Vancouver over the other two :P

I didn't like Toronto, but I love Vancouver. Although it's gonna be a hard time waiting for summer to come around again..!

LOL, one thing about TO! everyone has a different experience. My time in Van was limited as I was there with work and took 4 days vacation beforehand just to see the place. As a runner that's always how I see cities and in the space of 2 long morning runs I covered most of the city (obviously not the burbs) I like big and that is just too small for me, but the city is beautiful, a real work of art and I definitely think I will live there for a year if I ever decide I want to go back home.

OP just one piece of advice I give to you and all new comers, do try to integrate (not wanting to sound anti-Irish but it's crazy how bad we are at going outside our own kind even in such a multicultural place like Canada)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Donkeyoaty

Hi Guys
    I am in Ireland again and its going no where as we know, I need to earn money mortgage ect. I am 53 so visa time is short, what is the LMO ? is it a visa through an employer changed from a tourist visa, or what.
    I believe I can enter Canada on a tourist visa and convert it to a work visa, is this very complexed and is it dedicated to one employer.
    I am a carpenter hoping to work up north, in this sector of work one can be hired and fired more than once in a day, anyone got any clews

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bylar Bear

Vancouver, hands down. Much nicer city than TO.

In what way?

Scenery. Vancouver is on the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I lived in Vancouver and visited Toronto. I'm glad I chose Vancouver, I found it to be a much nicer city. I never worked in Toronto but I'd imagine it would be easier to find work there. If you're any way into the outdoors I go with Vancouver. The winters in Vancouver are much milder as well.

Thanks John I will take a look there, I have cousins in van

• Advertisement

Donkeyoaty wrote: »
    Thanks John I will take a look there, I have cousins in van

You won't regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hey guys. I'm heading over in the next few months and I@m wondering the same, Van or Tor.

I'm curious is there a big difference in job potential at entry-level? I finished my degree and I can't even get started in Ire.

Job potential is my biggest concern, with the rest I'm flexible. Both a giant metropolis and a quieter, outdoors, aesthetic city appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Micks26

Have been asking myself the same question the past few weeks!?!?!?!?!

Hi Mike
    I goggled news papers in the cities and the north, Edmonton, Fort Murry as well as Van and Tor, all though for trades jobs, the money is better up north and the cost of living higher.
    When you follow the links many bring to agencies that have jobs at every level, it is great to see page after page of jobs on offer.
    Hope that gives you a few clews. I havent gone yet myself maybe in the spring. Happy hunting.
    Oliver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Micks26

Seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in Toronto is 7.9% and in Vancouver is 6.9%.

Places like Calgary is only 4.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Micks26 wrote: »
    Seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in Toronto is 7.9% and in Vancouver is 6.9%.

Places like Calgary is only 4.7%.

Surely -4.7 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I've decided which city now. I think my problem is that there is never enough information. There is really only so far that information can take you, mistakes that you can avoid. Beyond that, just jump in and enjoy the adventure. :D

Advertisement