Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Overcloocking Beginner

• 26-08-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

New system is built and running like a dream,, Havnt done any over clocking in anyway before, So I dont even know where to begin,,, it will be Baby steps I think,

So first off Where do I begin? on the bios for my z87-g45 there is loads of setting to play with.. and also some MSI Programmes that run in windows..
    But I dont know where to begin,, should I use another program? or, is there an all in one program that easy enough to use?

Here is my Setup

Monitor- DELL S2309W 23" 1920 x 1080 (side Monitor/TV Samsung SyncMaster 19.9)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series
    Motherboard: z87-g45 Gaming MSI
    CPU: 3.4Ghz i5-4670K Cooling- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Ram: 8 Gig DDR 3 (8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24)
    Main hard Drive: Samsung SSD 120Gig (3 other Storage Sata Drives)
    Case: Zalman z9 (3 Fans and a Fan controller)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

You've the same Mobo, CPU,Cooler as I have.

Did you use the OC Genie button yet?

What you curently on 3.4Ghz?

I've mine running on 4.5Ghz on 1.17v, done 3 stress test so far, 6hrs each time and it running great.

Temps running between 40 and 79.

Might try 4.6Ghz soon and what the temps are like.

p.s this was my also my 1st attempt at OC so I knoww here you're coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Erm not yet,,, just keep forgetting,,,

Rebooting now and trying it..

See you on the other side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I'd be more inclined to overclock your gpu than your processor. Serious mismatch in performance there. Push the core as far as it will go, then maybe push the memory a little.

Of course you might need the processor overclock for other reasons. If so just ignore me. :)

CPU now running at 4.2

GPU, yeh, actually since my OP I now have two 6870`s by Crossfire, since I just upgraded and didnt have the cash to upgrade the GPU`s just yet, so got a Second 6870 cheap and Crossfired them,, now overclocking nicely and running well :-)

CPU now running at 4.2

GPU, yeh, actually since my OP I now have two 6870`s by Crossfire, since I just upgraded and didnt have the cash to upgrade the GPU`s just yet, so got a Second 6870 cheap and Crossfired them,, now overclocking nicely and running well :-)

What voltage you running at with 4.2, Have you done any stress testing yet?

I used AID64 Extreme, free for 30 days.

• Advertisement

Not Sure what voltage its at, to be honest, just used the OC genie button in the bios,, think its around 1.15-17 ish,,can find out for sure if you need..
    Pc has been running now for 24 hours,, Spend 6-7 hours yesterday gaming,, no issues with it at all

Will check out AID64

for OC on the GPU`s, am using MSI afterburner/Kombuster and Furmark and 3D mark

Not Sure what voltage its at, to be honest, just used the OC genie button in the bios,, think its around 1.15-17 ish,,can find out for sure if you need..
    Pc has been running now for 24 hours,, Spend 6-7 hours yesterday gaming,, no issues with it at all

Will check out AID64

for OC on the GPU`s, am using MSI afterburner/Kombuster and Furmark and 3D mark

Not to familiar with OC the GPU yet, I got the OC version.

The only way to see if all is ok after OCing your CPU is to do a stress test (best do 4-5 of them around 6hrs at a time)this'll tell you many things, temp is the big thing with these chips, myself I didn't want to go into the 80s.

Playing games isn't really going to give you all the info you need, 4.2Ghz is really safe but I think you should check out 4.4Ghz, most can get this.

Check out the below link, he shows his settings in the bios and how to do a stress test on AIDA64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yucCk_Zrc

If his works on yours and your stress tests and temps go ok try and increase it futher by doing the below.

a) Increase your multiplier by 1 and leave your voltage the same and see if it boots up.

b) If it does, stress test it for 6hrs on AIDA64 and check your temps. If all is ok repeat a.

c) If it doesn't boot up increase your voltage by 0.01 and try and reboot again.

Once you can get through 6hrs of stress testing and your temps are below 80 try "a" again.Once you hit high 70's stop and do 5 more stress tests to see if everything's ok.

I'm new to this myself but the above worked for me, if I was you read a lot about it and check out videos on youtube before you start messing with the settings.

Disclaimer:
    You overclock at your own risk the above is what I did and it was ok. I'm not responsible for anybody frying their cpu.Do this at your own risk.

Excellent, Thanks for that info,, Will get on it and get back to you,,
    am happy with the 4.2 for now.. current temp is 32c and Max is 36c even gaming.. Will run a stress test later today
    What stress test software should I be using? aida64?
    Many thanks,,

Excellent, Thanks for that info,, Will get on it and get back to you,,
    am happy with the 4.2 for now.. current temp is 32c and Max is 36c even gaming.. Will run a stress test later today
    What stress test software should I be using? aida64?
    Many thanks,,

Yes Aida64, there are others you can use but this was the one I use and found it really easy to use, the guy on that link shows you how to use it.

Start it late at night around an hour before going to bed, if it's still running for 1hr let it continue over night and check the result in the morning, check the V is what you set it at post the max and average temps on here.

Advertisement