Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the secondary UPC cable for internet

• 26-08-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it would be possible for UPC to hook up a modem router to an existing cable connection that was installed by them. It was previously used as a second TV area for UPC, but I discontinues that. It would be so much easier to be able to connect to the internet via that cable rather than wiring up the house with ethernet, which is what i've been trying to do, but thats become problematic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Shouldn't be a problem if the point was previously used for a UPC TV connection. They'll probably replace the old wall box as part of the installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

As coyemj says there should be no problem providing it is one of their connections. However beware they will probably charge a call out fee along with the monthly charge for any additional points.

Could I suggest you invest in a powerline extender kit, which enables your internet connection be carried using your electrical wiring. Just plug one of the units close to your UPC modem and connect an ethernet cable to it and the other in the room where you wish to use it. Then connect another ethernet cable to the second PC or laptop and then pair them. Speeds are generally what you would get with a wired connection.

Might be a cheaper alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

As coyemj says there should be no problem providing it is one of their connections. However beware they will probably charge a call out fee along with the monthly charge for any additional points.

Could I suggest you invest in a powerline extender kit, which enables your internet connection be carried using your electrical wiring. Just plug one of the units close to your UPC modem and connect an ethernet cable to it and the other in the room where you wish to use it. Then connect another ethernet cable to the second PC or laptop and then pair them. Speeds are generally what you would get with a wired connection.

Might be a cheaper alternative.

Tried them, no good for me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just plug it in. Providing the connection is of equal quality to the main one (may not be) it'll be no problem.
    As regards pricing, unless you requested analogue tv at that point, they won't charge a monthly fee.
    I can't imagine the point is physically disconnected either.
    I had a setup like this when I had a seperate modem and tv box.

Advertisement