Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience with Applaws dog food?

• 26-08-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

After searching the forum, I put our pup (a 5mnth old Alaskan Malamute x Husky) on Skinners (price is a big issue). There is no nice way of saying it: she pongs!

Now I'm looking at other foods and have seen loads of recommendations, including Burns. Price-wise this is about as much as I can handle, and it's quite a bit up from Skinners. (I see Burns has come down a bit in price since last week)

But looking at the ingredients, Applaws (puppy) wins hands down, first ingredients as follows: Composition: Chicken 67% (from Dried Chicken), Chicken Mince 8% Potato Starch 7%, Peas 6% (from Dried Peas), Poultry Oil 3%

Compared to Burns puppy: Chicken Meal (30%), Brown Rice (21%), White Rice (21%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Vitamins & Minerals.

Does anyone have any experience with Applaws?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I haven't used the dog food but I've used the cat food and was very happy with it. It is quite high in meat which is always good, and it's not too expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

After searching the forum, I put our pup (a 5mnth old Alaskan Malamute x Husky) on Skinners (price is a big issue). There is no nice way of saying it: she pongs!

Now I'm looking at other foods and have seen loads of recommendations, including Burns. Price-wise this is about as much as I can handle, and it's quite a bit up from Skinners. (I see Burns has come down a bit in price since last week)

But looking at the ingredients, Applaws (puppy) wins hands down, first ingredients as follows: Composition: Chicken 67% (from Dried Chicken), Chicken Mince 8% Potato Starch 7%, Peas 6% (from Dried Peas), Poultry Oil 3%

Compared to Burns puppy: Chicken Meal (30%), Brown Rice (21%), White Rice (21%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Vitamins & Minerals.

Does anyone have any experience with Applaws?
    Same on the cat use only but you should also be feeding less with it (not going to offset the cost completly but it goes part of the way); another alternative would be Taste of the Wild which I believe is a bit cheaper but still very good quality (at/slightly below of Applaws/Acana depending on who you ask).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I used TOTW as well and the cats liked it, but the only issue i had with it is the amount of recalls issued by the company who makes it, including particular batches of Taste of the wild

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

Nody wrote: »
    Same on the cat use only but you should also be feeding less with it (not going to offset the cost completly but it goes part of the way); another alternative would be Taste of the Wild which I believe is a bit cheaper but still very good quality (at/slightly below of Applaws/Acana depending on who you ask).

I had a look at Taste of the Wild, but that's almost double what Skinners is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

In what way, OP? Breath? Skin? Poops? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

boomerang wrote: »
    I took it to be hyper active (i.e. pinging around like a ping pong ball).

boomerang wrote: »
    Nody wrote: »
    I took it to be hyper active (i.e. pinging around like a ping pong ball).

Farts! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE FARTS! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Our 3 1/2 month Weimaraner is on Applaws (large puppy) and doing well on it.

Plopli wrote: »
    Our 3 1/2 month Weimaraner is on Applaws (large puppy) and doing well on it.

Thanks, Plopli. I think I will give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Some foods just won't agree with certain dogs with regards to farts I have found, my dog could clear a room in seconds when he was on James Wellbeloved, they were eye watering. I have had no issues with Burns, Arden Grange or Skinners which he is on now. I haven't used Applaws myself but I know a lot of people recommend it for cats and the ingredients list looks pretty good.

Just be aware that you may have to try a few different foods before you settle on one that causes this issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And remember to make the switch from one brand to another gradually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thinking of moving my 4 month lab from Royal Canin onto Applaws. Is there any need to worry about high protein content?

Advertisement