Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Options
  • 26-08-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I've just done a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop and all went fine, however, the internet connection (wired) appears to be hit & miss on startup. Some times it connects fine & others it doesn't.

The device manager is reporting that the NIC is fine and working properly.

When it doesn't connect it returns the following Msg.

"Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

If I disconnect the cable & re-connect it it sometimes connects but not everytime.........

Google suggests that it might be Bonjour related but I don't have iTunes or anything really installed other than the OS, MSE & Malwarbytes.

I'm a tad stumped as to what might be causing this :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've just done a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop and all went fine, however, the internet connection (wired) appears to be hit & miss on startup. Some times it connects fine & others it doesn't.

The device manager is reporting that the NIC is fine and working properly.

When it doesn't connect it returns the following Msg.

"Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

If I disconnect the cable & re-connect it it sometimes connects but not everytime.........

Google suggests that it might be Bonjour related but I don't have iTunes or anything really installed other than the OS, MSE & Malwarbytes.

I'm a tad stumped as to what might be causing this :confused:

To rule out DHCP being an issue have you tried setting a static IP address? I.e: 192.168.1.56 (for e.g) or something higher up meaning less chance of an IP address conflict.
    Are the LAN drivers up to date?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Did you install the driver from Dell or was the network card autimatically detected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    To rule out DHCP being an issue have you tried setting a static IP address? I.e: 192.168.1.56 (for e.g) or something higher up meaning less chance of an IP address conflict.
    Are the LAN drivers up to date?

Nick

Just tried with static IP but the results are the same, no connection on startup but when I remove the cable & re-connect it works, same as before static IP. Lan drivers are up to date.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Torqay wrote: »
    Did you install the driver from Dell or was the network card autimatically detected?

automatically detected Torgay.

I can only see drivers for wireless NIC on Dell site they have nothing for 7 or Vista for Wired NIC.

automatically detected Torgay.

I can only see drivers for wireless NIC on Dell site they have nothing for 7 or Vista for Wired NIC.

Broadcom driver for Vista 32-bit

Broadcom Driver for Vista 64-bit

• Advertisement

Thanks Torgay, that Diagnostics Utility ran and gave me a green light so it seems to think all is well. The problem is still the same though :confused:

Ooop, my bad... linked the diagnostics utility rather than the drivers.

32-bit

64-bit

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

turn off network discovery... works for me :)

Thanks Torgay, that Diagnostics Utility ran and gave me a green light so it seems to think all is well. The problem is still the same though :confused:
    Ooop, my bad... linked the diagnostics utility rather than the drivers.

32-bit

64-bit

That was the driver installed, I re-installed it anyway but it made no difference. Appreciate your efforts ;)

turn off network discovery... works for me :)

Turning off network discovery made no difference either I'm afraid.

There seems to be a massive amount of hits for this on Google but none with a definitive solution.

Thanks to all for their input :)

And this was working fine with the old installation? Have you tried a different cable?

• Advertisement

And the problem does not occur with the wireless connection?

And this was working fine with the old installation? Have you tried a different cable?

That I'm not sure of Torgay as the machine had a curropt OS and wouldn't boot when I got it to sort. I think my friend would have mentioned the network issue had it existed though.

I didn't try another cable but will
    And the problem does not occur with the wireless connection?

Wireless is working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 diwit

I guess you have tried restarting the router?

Advertisement