Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert 2014 repeat external help please!!!

• 26-08-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hello,so i just completed my leaving cert in year gone by 2013 and i wasnt to happy with my results :( decided on repeating as an external candidate at home as i coudnt hack my school for another year and the repeat school near me is all full up.I want to sit Biology,Geography,Ag science,Bussiness,Maths,and LCVP exams for 2014 leaving cert all higher except maths and of course LCVP id be willing to take on a new subject too as i am dropping english,irish and french as i got what i wanted for them last year. :).
    Now heres what i want to know for Lcvp can i use my portfolio from last year and just resit the exam???
    For ag science can i use my project from last year as it was signed off by my teacher and was very succesfull i was even interviewed by the examiner 1 of 4 interviewd out of class of 25?
    For geography can i use my practical course work project which i completed in last years leaving cert under my teachers supervision and was signed off by my teacher???
    The reason i am asking this is because if im repeating from home i wont have supervision for project work for these subjects so was wondering could i use project work from last year which i had supervision OR I also know my vice principal,Geography,Ag science and LCVP teachers from my old school very very well as they live in the same small village as me and even got grinds of my geog and ag teacher last year if i coudnt use my projects from last year could i get grinds off them for half the year to just keep an eye and supervise my project work especially geog which doesnt take long would they be able to sign it off for me then?Any help would be greatly appriciated on how i can do geog and ag science again and still not lose points for no project im willing to redo them if i have too!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Unless you can find a teacher willing to supervise and sign you off during the Geography project/write up, you won't be able to do it or use last years project.

I've no knowledge on any of the other subjects though..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Thanks for your reply i know my geography teacher pretty well so im sure she would do it on a grinds basis would only need 4 or 5 as project does not take all that long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Tbh doing it by yourself isn't going to work
    It will be incredibly difficult to be so disciplined
    It sounds very impractical
    Is there another local school you could attend instead of your last one?
    Doesn't have to be a grind school
    What are your issues with your last school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Tbh doing it by yourself isn't going to work
    It will be incredibly difficult to be so disciplined
    It sounds very impractical

I'd disagree, I was at a repeat school and left because the people there weren't focused enough and I was getting distracted. Doing it at home I clocked 8 - 10 hours a day of study and better again got to choose my own days off as long as I met a certain quota, let me keep in touch with my old friends and still go out on their college nights. (Thursdays, madness I know.) It's more than doable, I also did a project with my old teacher I'm on good terms with and there was no problems there. Find somewhere to do project work, find somewhere to sit externally and study, the knowledge that you'll be holding yourself back again is more than enough incentive to study, trust me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you can find a teacher willing to supervise and sign you off during the Geography project/write up, you won't be able to do it or use last years project.

I've no knowledge on any of the other subjects though..

Teacher or not, you can't re-use the Geography project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Sitting the Leaving Cert as a repeat student externally is very difficult to do - not that it can't be done - but it is very difficult.

Having to get up and go to school every morning - attend classes - do homework - etc creates a discipline that is very difficult to replicate outside of the school environment. You have to be a very disciplined individual and very well organised to succeed day-in, day-out studying on your own. On top of that you do not have a teacher to give you feedback for homework etc.

Given that you suggest that you got on well with most of your teachers I would suggest reconsidering your idea - try and figure out what bugs you about being in school - and then go and talk to the vice principal and work out an arrangement that facilitates you repeating in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

thank you for your reply may i ask what project did you do with your old teacher and did you just get he/she to sign it off or did you do it on a grinds basis outside school or did you have to go into the school to do it?thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hey guys my younger brother just got his leaving cert results and he was happy with all his results bar ordinary maths which he failed. He's doing a FETAC Level 5 PLC Course this Septemeber in order to complete his art portfolio as he wants to try and get into art college in Dublin. Is there a way he can sit only ordinary maths for the next leaving cert? He wants a good plan B in case he doesn't get into art college as most courses have it mandatory that you have passed maths and english. Any help on this would be much appreciated:) He was thinking maybe he could sit ordinary maths while also doing his FETAC 5 course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hey guys my younger brother just got his leaving cert results and he was happy with all his results bar ordinary maths which he failed. He's doing a FETAC Level 5 PLC Course this Septemeber in order to complete his art portfolio as he wants to try and get into art college in Dublin. Is there a way he can sit only ordinary maths for the next leaving cert? He wants a good plan B in case he doesn't get into art college as most courses have it mandatory that you have passed maths and english. Any help on this would be much appreciated:) He was thinking maybe he could sit ordinary maths while also doing his FETAC 5 course.

Yes. He just needs to apply to examinations.ie as an external candidate in January. If he wants to attend classes, there are various night classes run by ETBs around the country for LC Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

beya2009 wrote: »

It would be common for students to sit ordinary maths as spurious has outlined above. Also many PLC centres offer a module in maths which substitutes for LC maths.

Now before there's any confusion, if he is using his PLC results to apply for college next year and maths is a requirement, then passing the FETAC Level 5 maths module as part of his certificate will be accepted.

FETAC maths module will not be accepted as a substitute for LC maths if he is applying with his LC results.

i.e. the maths qualification has to match up with the set of results he is applying with.

He should do both if he can, as they are more or less the same material.

• Advertisement
Advertisement