Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in apartment...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dee22 wrote: »
    My sincerest apologies! Upon closer inspection there is a gutter outside... I was picturing u meant a vertical one, across the top of the window. Durrrr! :confused:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g54tpsykatgdf0k/IMG_20130827_205155.jpg

There does appear to be some amount of ****e on it too, not sure if it's mould or just grime. Is that the kind of leak u mean?

Can't tell much from that picture, daylight after a big shower would be the best time. Since the outside of the wall is redbrick, you should see a obvious damp bloom in the hours following a decent shower as the water leeches into the wall. If the wall is a cavity wall, then the water ingresses inside around the window, since it bridges the gap between the outside wall and the inside wall. Then you get mold everywhere around the window.

But the most obvious thing to me from that photograph is that if the balcony above needs a downpipe in the first place or has a downpipe in close proximity, then that is where you need to start to try stop the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

leaving us in a position where if we were to hand in our notice we would be looking at moving from a 2 bed apartment to a bedsit.
    Long term, a bedsit would be better.
    I've been constantly on Daft the last few months to look for a new mould free dwelling :p
    Learn where mould usually occurs, and if there's fresh paint at that location, it's usually the landlord trying to hide the mould until you've moved in.

=-=

Is it possible to leave the windows slightly open all the time? As in, a crack open? Some windows have this option, so that you'd use the 2nd "notch" to lock it. This may allow better constant airflow, to help eradicate the mould, and also to ensure you have good air to breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you open the windows in the room every day? How long for, on average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

the_syco wrote: »
    Long term, a bedsit would be better.

Learn where mould usually occurs, and if there's fresh paint at that location, it's usually the landlord trying to hide the mould until you've moved in.

Where does it usually occur?

Advertisement